newmotorhome not fit for purpose

mids

Hi our motorhome is now 3 years old and we fill is not fit for purpose and never was

has spent more times at the dealer for warranty claims on so many faults to list. Does any one know what we can do or our rights are in resolving 3 years of hell. Motorhome bought from the marquis group and js a autoquest 115.

Unfortunately it's not a straightforward answer because we do not know the circumstances of your claims. If it keeps going back to the dealer then presumably they are rectifying the problems ?

More information might result in more responses, if you don't want to divulge that information then go to either the citizens advice bureau or the office of fair trading.

I know a man who successfully got all his money back on two occassions (from separate dealers) by eventually rejecting a motorhome he had had for two or three years, so if you have a good case it can be done.

He was up against a big company who employed barrister as well as solicitor and it went to a high court hearing when only at the last minute did they cave in and agree to pay up.  He got all his costs too but he had risked paying more than the value of the motorhome in his own and their legal fees if he had lost, so beware.  He is a cussed, determined individual and he hadtaken the trouble to keep carefull records of the dealers repeated failure to deal with faults effectively.

You would almost certainly need to use professional legal advice from the outset and there is no cheap or easy way.  Nobody else is going to do it for you, it will all be at your considerable risk.  Do you have a strong enough evidence basis (i.e. maybe expert engineering reports etc as well as your own meticulous records) and do you have the resources and the balls for a claim of this sort, which would probably take a couple of years to resolve?  If not, it may be better not to start that ball rolling!

Mornin' mids..

It probably won't help you, but the Elddis (Compass) seem to have a very poor record quality-wise

(I luckily just managed to dodge the bullet with a 120 Avantgarde we had...)

Just search on here for several horror stories...

As Barcobird say, you'd be better off getting proper legal advice (as opposed to the "options" you're likely to get on forums).

Although I don't suppose the fact that it's now 3 years old will help matters though..unless of cause, it's spent most of it's life in their workshop?

Good luck with it.

(sorry Stuart, 'crossed your post)

After 3 years you would be wasting your time, money and life in pursuing a claim for rejection. You would be far better off speaking to Marquis to see if they will give you a decent part exchange price for your motorhome or indeed selling the thing through the trade and buying another. You will lose a few thousand but that would be far cheaper than going down the legal route which could ultimately have catastrophic consequences for you and your family.

Slightly off topic but I have noticed that as Brownhills have got less branches the posts complaining about them have reduced.

Wheras as Marquis have got more branches the complaints against them have increased.

I realise that its comon sense that if say 2% of customers are unhappy, the bigger dealers selling more will have more complaints.

Just thought I would point it out because common sense isn't always forthcoming on here (lol)

hi

sorry to hear

would damp be a issue ?

I have a elddis majestic 180 just 3 years old from marquis major works now reqd

see elddis damp thread

I have wrote to elddis md and emailed marquis( who are doing it under warranty) for opinions but so far been ignored

good luck

Mike88 - 2017-07-13 9:37 AM

After 3 years you would be wasting your time, money and life in pursuing a claim for rejection. You would be far better off speaking to Marquis to see if they will give you a decent part exchange price for your motorhome or indeed selling the thing through the trade and buying another. You will lose a few thousand but that would be far cheaper than going down the legal route which could ultimately have catastrophic consequences for you and your family.

I believe you have 6 years to reject goods as unfit for purpose.

I have recently bought a 2 year old Elddis 115 from Marquis. So far no problems (touch wood) but we have only used it twice. I think previous replies have a point about volume of sales / outlets to complaints. I am aware we have bought a product that is cheaper than the market as a whole. we did this becuase we are new and want to test the lifestyle and therefore we initially want to minimise the outlay whilst getting a new(ish) product. I don't expect something that is £10-20,000 cheaper than its rivals to be as good, but I do expect it to be of mercantable quality and do what it is intended for. I don't know the details here, but the legal definition of fit for purpose is well tried and tested. It will need to be the vehicle doesn't work, or it leaks badly, or you cannot physically use it, rather than poor quality.

Before everyone tells me off, I'm not suggesting goods shouldn't be fit for purpose or that in this case there isn't a viable claim, I don't know any of the details. I am simply trying to add balance, the bigger the chain and number of sales the more complaints, it does not mean that as a percentage they are higher. Likewise you do get what you pay for, but to repeat that does not mean this is not a justifiable case. It will, however, be an uphill battle after three years, the inevitable question will be: why did you not contest this earlier if as you say it never was fit for purpose?

Interestingly, when I bought the MH I challenged Marquis over their reputation for apoor after sales service. The response was interesting, no flannel at all. They accepted it hadn't been good enough and were making strenuous steps to improve it. I'm no fully convinced yet, but I felt that was an honest answer and it tipped the balance. Bad reputations take a long time to change.

Archived