Relay location - Hymer Classic C524

nelwd

I have a 2004 Hymer Classic C524. The electric side step will only work in one direction. I have taken it off the vehicle and checked for damage etc and all seems ok. It will work fine going up, but will not go down.

As the motor only has 2 wires going to it i suspect that there must be some sort of relay that switches the current to make it work in reverse.

When I press the down button I can hear a clicking noise coming from the rear of the van so suspect the relay is in that area, but i can't find it anywhere. Before I take the whole van to bits does anybody know where I might find it?

Thanks

Will

Hi Will,

First off, in case you don't have a wiring diagram, have a look at Clive Mott's simplified wiring schematic for the Omnistep...

http://www.motts.dsl.pipex.com/Omnistep.htm

As you can hear the relay click I do not think it is your problem,. The 'step closed' switch is more likely to be causing your fault as the changeover relay will then not have a path to earth to allow reversal of the motor current.

i suggest you try removing, cleaning and testing the switch which will be located somewhere at the the back edge of the step or on its mechanism. It is normally in a position prone to collecting road muck!!!

Let us know how you get on please.

Keith.

PS And be VERY careful when working around the step with power applied as they can move without warning!!!

Hi,

It turned out to be the relay / control box of tricks which had gone. I found it in a cupboard with the 240V hook up RCD's etc. Being a Hymer it was more than just a really, and was little box of circuit boards etc. Given time i might have been able to identify the broken part and soldered on a new part, but as I was short of time I needed up buying a while new unit at an eye watering price of £72. It arrived today, and was installed din about 2 minutes and all works fine now. The item was:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYMER-MOTORHOME-CARAVAN-SCHAUDT-STEP-RELAY-EMS03-replaces-EMS01-02-/172280965830

Will

• 1 year later...

Hi, nelwd.  Thanks for your brief.  After a lot of testing and sleuthing, I've come to the conclusion that the EMS 02 is probably the cause of step failure. I found it on the rear of the front of the heater cupboard, also the home of the mains cutout switch and distribution points of many cables.  Your brief was invaluable in finding it and only confirmed by use of a torch and mirror.  A nightmare to remove.  Do you know of any way of testing this componant, other than buying and trying?

Archived