Thetford fridge

arjxh56

Hi,

Just a quick question for those in the know..

My Thetford fridge freezer compartment on gas is much better than on electric, is this normal?

I can used the ice box for ice cubes if on gas, but on electric they all melt and fill the box with water!!

Should I be concerned or is this normal?

arjxh56 - 2017-07-19 9:38 PM

Should I be concerned or is this normal?

I would be concerned!

When operating on electric can you feel any heat from the top vent on the outside of your MH? If not then suspect a fault on that side of the fridge.

Keith.

arjxh56

Presumably you are referring to 230V mains electricity, not 12V. Received wisdom seems to be that a 3-way fridge’s cooling capability is usually most efficient on gas and least efficient on 12V, but cooling should be ‘reasonable’ on either 230V or 12V.

I notice that this is your 1st O&AL forum posting for approaching 3 years, so is the Thetford fridge still the N112 model you mentioned in 2014?

If it is and the fridge has always exhibited this less-efficient-on-electricity cooling behaviour, then you probably need to accept that the behaviour is ‘normal’ and (perhaps) adjust the fridge’s thermostat when running it from electricity.

If the fridge used to cool well on electricity (with the ice cubes not melting) and now does not cool at all on electricity - or very poorly - there’s clearly something wrong.

Hi,

3years, wow that's flown!

Yes it's the same fridge but I have never really used the freezer compartment until recently. I couldn't tell you if it's always been this way? The fridge compartment used to get so cold on gas that it would freeze things if left on full, but on electric it was never as cold, although it did work well enough.

I will take a look at the heat from the vent whilst on electric and see if I can work out what is going on.

Archived