Chausson Best of 10 2014 Ford transit based mpg expectation

izzywhit

I would like to compare notes on the above fuel consumption as my trip computer usually ends up displaying 26 mpg.

Is this what other owners get with the same outfit ? I would like to know as this seems a bit low compared to what people report in the travel section of MMM.

There is only one way to be certain, and that is to note the mileage every time you fill, and the amount taken to fill. This doesn't work accurately with a single fill, and needs to be maintained over an extended period before the vagaries of speed, temperature, different filling stations, different road types, and different terrain, work through.

Hobby Van: 2007 FWD Transit Mk 7, 130PS, based. 3,500kg MAM. Recorded as above: 5299.6 litres consumed over 32,000 miles = 28.27 MPG.

The dashboard trip computers are not particularly accurate, so I wouldn't use it for comparison, and people quote their MPG on a highly variable basis and have varying driving styles. Also you won't get truly representative fuel consumption figures before the engine is fully bedded in: say about 25,000 miles. Hope this helps.

I have a '17 Welcome 610 on the Euro 6 170 hp 2 litre Transit base.

I have recently returned from a 3 week, 1750 mile, jaunt down to Northern Italy & checked actual consumption vs computer readout on every tankful. The readout normally seems to settle down to show around 28 mpg over a tankful (give or take 0.3) - calculated consumption from fuel put in at each fill shows the readout to be optimistic, with actual consumption between 25.5 & 27.5 mpg. As the diesel heating was not used between fillups on this trip, this has not had an effect (as I had used the diesel heating frequently prior to this trip, I had no benchmark for the readout accuracy - seems that the readout isn't particularly !).

Don't know the Adblue consumption yet, as the 10l container I have on order has yet to arrive (tank brimmed before starting out). As a comparison, we made much the same trip last year (same bikes on same trailer, going over the Brenner) using our previous Ducato 130 Roller Team & got actual consumption between 29 and 32 mpg, so I continue to be un-impressed with the new Ford - particularly as it struggled in comparison to the Fiat going up the Brenner. Still pondering whether I can stomach a visit to the Ford dealer to see if it has a performance problem or if "They are all like that, Sir".

This was towing a motorcycle trailer, running at 4100kg total train weight measured at the West Yorks Trading Standards drive-over axle weigh bridge at Gildersome on the way to the Hull ferry. For the first time in our 8 years motorhoming, the van was overloaded (by 40kg - though both axles were well under limit) & that with putting some stuff in a pannier on one of the bikes to try & reduce weight in the garage.

Don't know if this will help or not,

Nigel B

izzywhit - 2017-07-21 2:18 PM

Thanks Nigel that does make me think that I can't expect more mpg from mine as it is the Mk7 Transit Euro V

2.2l engine although I don't tow anything I just have a couple of bikes on the back.

In my experience with the two previous Fiats, towing only dropped around 1 mpg compared to not towing and carrying 2 bikes on an external rack.

I have not found a definative consumption figure in Ford's literature for the new Transit motorhome chassis. The Fiat manual for the X250 gave a combined consumption of 34mpg for the motorhome chassis IIRC (the best I managed was 32mpg tank average). The only figues I can find from Ford have been along the lines of "between 36 - 42mpg combined for the range" for the Euro 6 engines & I am a long way short of 36mpg ! Likewise they say that a 21 litre tank of Adblue should last "up to 6000 miles", but I put in 8 litres after 1000 miles prior to my recent trip, which is closer to the 2500 miles per tank that some are reporting on the Transit Forums.

I have around 2800 miles on now, so there may be some scope for improvement as mileage increases, as Brian suggests - the last Fiat did get better over the first 7-8000 miles or so, but had largely settled down by then. I usually get a couple of mpg more abroad than here, which I put down to lower drag road surfaces & warmer weather as I travel at much the same speed both sides of the Channel (60 mph indicated by satnav & using cruise control as much circumstances allow, with or without trailer).

I usually use branded forecourt fuel after a bad experience with some "stuff" from a Leclerc hypermarket near Dunkirk - it seemed a lot cheaper than the forecourts and, as I was passing, I filled up there. The "diesel" dispensed was dark brown in colour & smelled like creosote. Consumption on that filling was 4 mpg worse than the preceding & following tanks ( the lowest I saw in 4 years with that van) & the "cost per mile" worked out about the same as the branded stuff, so it was no bargain !

Nigel B

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-07-24 5:42 PM

Who cares about it.

I totally agree Monique!

If you have to worry whether you get 24 or 25 miles to every gallon then you obviously cannot afford to run a MH so you would be better off not buying it in the first place :D

Just agreeing with Monique's point of view here :-)

Keith. (Firmly tongue in cheek as well).

Archived