Electric motorhomes

Armstrong2

aandy - 2017-07-26 6:47 PM

To answer Armstrong's second question, the 'official' range is quoted by Autocar as 106 miles.

So every 106 miles take a break and recharge. According to Hillside "On a run you can rapid charge at most motorway service stations to 80% capacity within 30 mins"

But imagine the C&MC or C&CC reaction when you plug in on their sites :D

Saying that I think they are already have problems with tow cars like the Mitsubishi PHEV!

Keith.

Who can say where we will be in 20, 30 or 50 years but the latest news is that combustion engined cars will be outlawed by 2040. Fair enough and I am sure that technology will continue to move quickly to make this possible sooner rather than later but where on earth is all the electricity going to come from and how are you going to get it to all the vehicles on the road? My neighbour for instance has 5 family cars on his drive and 3 is not uncommon, as in my case. Think about how many cars currently go through any garage these days filling up very 10 minutes at most then convert this into charging points required for vehicles that need topping up every 100 miles or less compared to 400 + with a combustion engine.

Don636 - 2017-07-26 7:50 PM

Who can say where we will be in 20, 30 or 50 years but the latest news is that combustion engined cars will be outlawed by 2040. Fair enough and I am sure that technology will continue to move quickly to make this possible sooner rather than later but where on earth is all the electricity going to come from and how are you going to get it to all the vehicles on the road? My neighbour for instance has 5 family cars on his drive and 3 is not uncommon, as in my case. Think about how many cars currently go through any garage these days filling up very 10 minutes at most then convert this into charging points required for vehicles that need topping up every 100 miles or less compared to 400 + with a combustion engine.

There once was a time when petrol stations where very rare, now they are common.

Cars have much greater range than 100miles, also I guess a lot of people will be charging up at home.

Keithl - 2017-07-26 6:50 PM

But imagine the C&MC or C&CC reaction when you plug in on their sites :D

Saying that I think they are already have problems with tow cars like the Mitsubishi PHEV!

Keith.

I think they will soon have to rethink charges for EHU, Last year was at a C&CC site and noticed quite a few Mitsu's, at first I thought it was just because they where maybe good tow cars, then I realised they where PHEV's

The new power units will need to be tough to cope with hauling a heavy MH around the Highlands, Switzerland or Italy.

Why do I get the impression that this whole leccy political push is only half baked. We'll need a few more Hinkley Points building in the meantime not to mention the global instability that will come from the demise of the Middle East's only revenue stream

colin - 2017-07-26 7:58 PM

................................ I guess a lot of people will be charging up at home.

Can't see how people who live in tower blocks will manage - and for people who keep their car in the road outside , or somewhere near their house ?

Will the pavements be covered in electric cables trailing from front doors ?

Not sure they have thought this through.

;-)

It is possible to charge by wireless induction so I suppose you could have some sort of charging system laid in the road so you could charge on the go for limitless range but how long before this could be set up and where does all the power come from?

What I want to know is where all the energy is going to come from to generate the electrical power that electric vehicles require. At present the majority of vehicles in the UK use fossil fuels as the source of energy, i.e. petrol or diesel.

I have looked at this in very simplistic terms and run a few figures for all vehicles on our roads.

Approximate mechanical energy input in 1 litre of petrol / diesel = 10 kwh ignoring inefficiencies

If an average vehicle engine (over all types of vehicles) consumption is 6 Litres / 100 kM, therefore at 50 kM / hour (30 MPH) for an hour it would use 3 litres of fuel. Therefore in electrical terms you would require a capacity of 30 kW, again ignoring inefficiencies to travel that distance.

Looking at statistics from the DVLA there were 36.7 million vehicles licensed to drive on our UK roads in 2016. If we were to say in simplistic terms that each vehicle motive power plant averaged 30 kW input and only 10% of the vehicles were on the road at peak times and requiring recharging then that would mean the total electrical energy requirement would be 108 GW per hour at peak levels.

At present, looking at the live National Grid electrical supply details for the UK, our demand, i.e. commercial and domestic is about 30 GW per hour and have a winter peak around 52 GW in cold weather. It is difficult to pin down the exact total electrical generation capacity in the UK from all sources but having looked at different historic figures is about 55 GW capacity.

Now, if we were to change all vehicles to electric where in the world would we find the generating capacity and the infrastructure to support it ?

I have put this together quickly and am not precious about my calculations so feel free to challenge them.

Alan

Brilliant Alan. No idea if your sums are correct but it at least represents a fair attempt to explain in more detail my point about - where is all this electrical supply going to come from all of a sudden - nuclear fiission?

Another mad idea, not thought through . Wind Turbines , where meant to solve the energy problem, but they are just an eyesore , and do not fulfill the requirement. How will many who have to park in the road , chargeup? Blocks of flats. etc? What will happen to the fuel produced from oil countries?

IF I am around (probably not likely) in 2040, I won't be driving any way, or maybe a mobility scooter.!!

Can you imagine Hamilton/Vettal etc (well the future F1 drivers) doing a pit stop to charge up? I can't see where all the plugins will be situated. If you run out of charge on the motorway, will you be able to plug in? If they have pay boxes , more vandalism (I guess by then money will become extinct, and only cards will be used)

How do they plan to reach space. as I thought that was the next frontier?

No wonder many of our electric energy suppliers, are being bought by overseas companies!

What ever next?

PJay

Armstrong2 - 2017-07-26 8:18 PM

I would have thought hydrogen would have been the best route to go down not batteries

Absolutely, I drove a early prototype ICH engined car many years ago and you could use what came out the back to top up your windscreen wash. The car was at Syon park Museum. I'm not sure if it ended up at Gaydon or was cut up. With present day tech full electric cars will only work the same way as Formula E works or by quick release and exchangeable battery banks that are all the same and can be physically exchanged in minuets automatically. Beam me up Scotty *-)

Hymer exhibited a prototype hybrid variant of the B578 model at the 2011 Dusseldorf Show.

There was a good deal of press interest at the time, but the vehicle was never marketed.

However, more recently (mid-2015) it was announced that a hybrid version of Ducato was being developed.

http://www.bonfiglioli.com/en/mobile/news-media-events/news/bonfiglioli-project-for-innovative-powertrain-for-fiat-ducato-hybrid/

An electric hybrid approach adds the weight of an electric motor and battery (approaching 200kg is mentioned for the Ducato project) to a vehicle with a conventional internal-combustion engine. With ‘under 3500kg’ driving-licence restrictions affecting more and more drivers the unavoidable weight penalty inherent in hybrid technology would make it very difficult for a converter to build a reasonably large sub-3500kg hybrid motorhome with a realistic usable payload. Things are bad enough now with just the diesel engine, never mind adding a couple of hundred kilos for the hybrid system.

All-electric CARS having good performance and a reasonable range (eg. Tesla models) are already on the market (at a price) but it’s less easy to imagine all-electric heavy trucks being a practical proposition by 2040, or even practical all-electric vehicles in the ‘average motorhome’ 3-tonnes weight-bracket.

Can’t say I much care what happens in 2040 regarding motorhomes, as a) I certainly won’t be driving one and b) I shall probably be dead...

I was stopped at a Stellplatz in Denmark recently and they had a charging station that I initially thought was a camper service point, on closer inspection I noticed that it provided two output options @ 400 or 500volts 125amps (assuming DC) there was a card reader so assume that you had to pay. I assume this is for Tesla cars etc but one day I guess Motorhomes will be using them to. Interestly I passed a lot of wind turbines while transiting through Denmark into Sweden but none were turning that day as there was no wind.

IF the government is so concerned about pollution in our cities why is the new Cruise Ferry Terminal in Greenwich getting approval ?

( Plus extra runway at Heathrow - and the scrapping of plans to electrify more railways in the north )

There is obviously no overall plan -

Might just be diversionary tactics to stop us talking about Brexit.

:-|

Whilst at the moment there are issues with Heavier vehicles, it's going to happen for cars, and in fact is already happening there are with many happy owners. For the 'We're all doomed' merchants I'll point out 100 years ago there was no infrastructure to support the number of vehicles on the road now.

Ref the plug-in electricity points in car parks, I saw one in France which had a car parked in it, but not plugged in. Being a nosy sod,when he returned, I asked him if he had recharged. He replied that he had, but had not moved the car, because it was an electric car, and was therefore allowed to park there!

So, next time I fill with petrol, I'm going to leave my car parked on the pump!

emmerson - 2017-07-27 11:48 AM

So, next time I fill with petrol, I'm going to leave my car parked on the pump!

Judging by the time I find myself having to sometimes wait for a pump, whilst I watch the owners of the cars in front tat about choosing their groceries/confectionary/snacks or heating up their pasties etc, I think some folk are already partially doing that anyway... :-S

;-)

Archived