Gas leak ??

watty55

Hello, We have been using the gas on our motorhome recently with no problems,yesterday evening topped up the gas tank (gaslow) and have since smelt gas around the filler cap which is located on the outside of the van which is the only change that has been made since last fill up. Family off to France in the morning desparate for some advice please.

Try to identify the exact source of the leak using some soapy water and looking for bubbles. remove the filler cap and splash some water on to check. Make sure you wash off the soap with clean water after as some soaps can be acidic.

If it is the filler then try going back to the filling station and connecting the filler nozzle again to see if that allows the valve to seat fully.

Keith.

Hello, have done as you suggested and found a few bubbles behind the filler cap { there is a elbow behind the bodywork connecting back of filler to hose and main tank). When applying a spanner with pressure to the nut a slight occasional hiss was heard, after securing the nut we think the problem has been resolved, i.e. no more bubbles or hissing. when filling the tank yesterday we had problems with locating the nozzle into the filler so maybe something was disturbed. Panic over. So thank you Keithl

Regards Watty55

I concur with Keith's post.

As far as I am aware, there is a one-way valve at the inlet to the primary Gaslow bottle. So, there shouldn't be any backflow of gas from the bottle itself.

Suggest the OP checks the tightness of the hose connection at the rear of the external filler point. On my installation, I have a right angle adaptor, so that's 2 joints to check for tightness.

Any smell of gas, should in theory, be from the gas trapped in the gas hose between filler point and inlet to primary bottle. This should quickly dissipate.

If the smell of gas persists, close the primary bottle and recheck.

I wouldn't be too worried about it (famous last words !!!) as the gas is vented externally, but best to check the integrity of the connections between filler point and gas bottle for peace of mind.

Edit: I see the OP has sorted the problem. Happy travels in France :-D

In general, based on my own experience I agree with Keith. It is my understanding that there a three valves in the filling path of any refillable LPG cylinder / tank.

The filling point includes a spring loaded disc valve. Each cylinder must have an 80% fill stop valve, and as Keith says there must be a non return valve, but these two functions could be combined in one physical assembly.

My experience was a small stream of gas coming from the filler point after an unsucessful attempt to top up. Not wishing to be the centre of an embarrassing incident, and as we were on the edge of a town, I drove perhaps a mile to an isolated area to investigate. By the time I stopped the gas flow had ceased.

I realised that what had happened was as Keith suggests, that the lpg in the filling pipe had gassed off.

As a precaution the right angle filling valve was replaced, before the next fill.

Watty55, you seem to suggest that your filling point had been altered recently. If it was the gas pipe connection which you have tigtened that was leaking it should be OK. However if it was the disc valve leaking, it could happen again.

Be very careful working with LPG systems, and if in doubt seek expert help. The fire risk is obvious, but there is also the risk of cold burns from propane which boils at -42C. Blindness is a possible injury.

Alan

Archived