Best Gas supplier for trip to Ireland

bigaljo

Hello all, I am new to this site so please be gentle with me.

I am planning a trip to the Emerald Isle with my M/H shortly.

I understand that the Irish Calor bottles are not interchangeable with the UK Calor bottles which concerns me as I dont want to find myself unable to exchange my 6kg Propane bottles whilst away.

I am fairly new to motor-homing so cant really estimate how much gas I will need for a two week trip.

Can anyone suggest a solution? Has anyone had a trip to Ireland recently? Would I be better to change supplier, to say, Flogas. I dont want to go to the expense of Gaslow at the moment. I think I have 1 full 6kg cylinder and 1 about 3/4 full at the moment.

I am hoping that one of you more experienced motor homer's will be able to guide me as to my best option.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Hi Alan,

At this time of year you are unlikely (?) to need heating so your gas usage should be fairly low. I would think your 1 3/4 cylinders would be more than ample for 2 weeks, in fact I would almost bet you would not even finish the part cylinder!

As an example 2 years ago we went to Iceland for a total trip of just over 5 weeks and only used approx half of a 13 kg cylinder, ie around 6 kg in 5 weeks!

My opinion, go with what you have and just keep an eye on usage.

PS If you want to check gas (well actually liquid) level I recommend the Dometic gas Checker Pen...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dometic-GasChecker-GC-100-Level/dp/B00CTLVU0M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

But check around for the best price.

Keith.

bigaljo - 2017-07-27 5:44 PM

Thanks for the advice Robert. Have you any thoughts regarding Calor v Flogas?

Connections for Calor and Flo Gas are identical , so bottles are interchangeable

If you order from Gasdeals website gas is cheaper than Calor. If you haven't got an exchange bottle there are several deals with low ( £5) deposit on the bottles

Price includes delivery

Patrick

I also only ever use Calor but have found that Go Outdoors using a C&CC 10% voucher makes it the cheapest around.

Looking at Flo Gas on Gas Deals website you get an 11 kg refill for £21.99 (assuming you have an empty) and a 13 kg Calor from G O works out at £22.67 so actually better value.

Keith.

PS And avoid getting refills at campsites or shows at all costs as they often charge more than retail!

Keithl - 2017-07-27 9:08 PM

I also only ever use Calor but have found that Go Outdoors using a C&CC 10% voucher makes it the cheapest around.

Looking at Flo Gas on Gas Deals website you get an 11 kg refill for £21.99 (assuming you have an empty) and a 13 kg Calor from G O works out at £22.67 so actually better value.

Keith.

PS And avoid getting refills at campsites or shows at all costs as they often charge more than retail!

Unfortunately ,for me , a 13 kg Calor won't fit in my gas locker .so no point in going all the way to Go Outdoors to collect it :-D .

Thanks Keith & Patrick for your input.

I have checked the Gasdeals website but they dont appear to sell 6kg Propane only 11kg and above. Am I right in thinking that a 11kg bottle would be too big to fit into the M/H cupboard.

bigaljo - 2017-07-27 10:41 PM

Thanks Keith & Patrick for your input.

I have checked the Gasdeals website but they dont appear to sell 6kg Propane only 11kg and above. Am I right in thinking that a 11kg bottle would be too big to fit into the M/H cupboard.

Fits in mine , in fact I can fit 2 in there.

310mm diameter bottle

paws - 2017-07-27 10:39 PM

Keithl - 2017-07-27 9:08 PM

Keith.

Unfortunately ,for me , a 13 kg Calor won't fit in my gas locker .so no point in going all the way to Go Outdoors to collect it :-D .

Go Outdoors do stock the Calor 6 kg at £18.89 and if you are in the C&CC you can get an additional 10% off...

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calor-calor-propane-6kg-camping-gas-refill-p132722

I used the 13 kg as an example as that is the size which fits our MH,

Keith.

I don't think there's much mileage in changing Calor for FloGas if you already have the Calor bottles.

Neither have an exchange presence in Eire.

As implied above, unless you envisage a significant amount of running of the fridge on gas off-grid, or indeed a large amount of gas for heating, then two to three weeks is unlikely to "bruise" even one full 6kg bottle, let alone two.

The amount (weight) of gas remaining in a Calor bottle can be determined by weighing it, and subtracting the tare weight of the bottle (which is on the metal collar around the valve at the top in pounds and ounces!. Practicality of this depends on the accessibility and removal of the bottles (and converting the tare to kg ;-) ).

If one bottle is getting low, you may simply find it expedient to trade it for a full refill just before departing. It wastes a bit of gas, but is a relatively cheap way of getting peace of mind.

Archived