TYRE INFLATOR

crob

My tyre inflator (also a jump starter) packed in a couple of weeks agp, so I am trying to find a replacement, which should be simple enough, shouldn't it?

It must be me. I've already returned 2 unsuitable ones and am struggling to find another one. My requirements are:-

1. Inflate up to 100psi. My tyres are 70psi, so one that only goes to 80psi is a bit close to its limit.

2. If a 12v inflator, it needs either a 4.5m cable to stretch from the cigarette lighter socket to the rear wheels, or it could have a 3.5m cable if it works from the habitation 12v socket that is closer.

3. It could be rechargeable, like my previous one, but I haven't found one under £59 - a lot just for blowing up tyres, especially for a tight-fisted Yorkshire git like me!

I did buy one with a 3.5m cable, but it would only work from the cigarette lighter socket i.e. the engine battery; it wouldn't work from the habitation socket. Is that something to do with amperage output?

Any recommendations/views would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

My solution was to purchase a small garage style compressor (Michelin) which cost £99 from Costco. I may be a tight-fisted Scottish git but I like my vans tyres to be right !

It is mains powered. Although in theory a "small" electric compressor will inflate to 80psi it will normally need a connection directly to the battery terminal posts and even then it may struggle

This one ... link ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/451719-12V-14A-Heavy-Duty-Volume-Air-Compressor-Car-Tyre-Inflator-140PSI-/292155757235?epid=1380504753&hash=item4405d712b3:g:6i8AAOSwHLNZRruT

looks the same as the one I have which I bought from one of the Chinese shops in Javea

Works a treat

Cable is only 3 metres but I doubt you will find one longer. You could get some 13 amp cable and chock block connectors to extend it.

Funnily enough, the best one I've used so far is the one supplied in place of a spare wheel. Had to use it in France last year until I got a slow puncture repaired and it did everything needed - including reaching the rear wheel. The Hymer does have a spare wheel but also came with the puncture/inflation kit so will continue to use that.

David

There have been several earlier forum enquiries about ‘motorhome suitable’ tyre inflators - this is a recent one.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Tyre-inflators/46980/

A cheap 12V inflator capable of being powered from a dashboard socket fused at, say, 10A may be able to ‘top up’ a large motorhome tyre even at an 80psi pressure, but it is likely to get very hot doing it and (if it survives!) the task will take quite a while.

A more robust 12V inflator (eg. the T-MAX pump I have) easily handles high pressures and inflates quickly, but it has a high Amperage demand (so needs to be connected directly to a battery) and is not cheap.

Significantly less expensive high-output, high-Amperage 12V inflators are offered on-line, but I’ve no idea how well they perform or how long they will last.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've ended up with the"old" way - a foot pump! It has a gauge that works, and it didn't take too long to top up from 65 to 70. And good for the leg and heart muscles!

We leave tomorrow on "fresh air".

crob - 2017-08-08 9:47 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I've ended up with the"old" way - a foot pump! It has a gauge that works, and it didn't take too long to top up from 65 to 70. And good for the leg and heart muscles!

We leave tomorrow on "fresh air".

I use a high pressure track bicycle pump. Capable of up to 100 psig and fine for topping up a tyre to the desired pressure (your heart and upper body get a good work out!) I wouldn't want to use it to raise pressure by more than 10 psi. this way, unless only having to do one tyre.

Archived