Garage storage ideas/tips

kevandali

Hi All.

Just managed 9 days in France in the new van, wish it had been longer :-(
Everything now has a home and me and my better half worked like well practised dance partners as we pirouetted around the van :-)
The one area that needs more research is the garage. We have the pooches cage that can be accessed from the side via the garage opening or from the front via the doors from the habitation area.
What I actually need from you lot are any ideas what you use to keep all your nick backs in that you store in the garage.
Stuff like spare shoes/wellies, outdoor coats, tools, etc etc.
We don't carry a lot (don't get me started on payload again :-)) but I just want it looking a bit more organised.
At the moment I am looking for some plastic containers that have a side opening so the dog cage can be secured on top of them as it needs raising approx 7 to 10 inches so the opening of the cage better lines up with the internal garage doors, at the moment the poole has to do a command like crawl to get down into her cage.
I'll stop now.... waffling...
Any clever garage storage ideas most welcome.

kevandali - 2017-08-06 6:02 PM

At the moment I am looking for some plastic containers that have a side opening so the dog cage can be secured on top of them as it needs raising approx 7 to 10 inches so the opening of the cage better lines up with the internal garage doors,

Kev,

How about creating a 'shelf' with a piece of plywood or similar and suitable 'legs' to hold the dogs cage and then slide storage boxes underneath?

Keith.

Good to read you are enjoying the life now. When we had our first motorhome with a garage, we searched the commercial van outfitters for ideas, including false floors, had a look at some of the German purpose built systems for motorhomes, Fiamma's system, a self-built raised floor, and numerous other Heath Robinson schemes in other motorhomes I came across at sites and shows [many of these were built by craftsmen]. We also visited Halfords and our local Homebase for ideas.

In the end I bought two Really Useful Boxes which I stacked on each other with non-slip rubber matting between them.

http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/

I thought about a garage width false floor across the van floor because it had two convenient ledges so I think Keith's idea is sound.

We don't carry wellies but rely on hiking boots and gaiters. Coats stay in the van - we only take one each, minimum tools [we can always buy some] in a roll up, and the knick knacks such as replacement bulbs go in plastic boxes in cargo nets. Heavy duty velcro is worthwhile to hold things to walls as are Command Strips.

Archived