Using a laptop when outandabout

Will86

John52 - 2017-08-12 3:31 PM

747 - 2017-08-12 2:10 PM

This may sound a bit too high tech for some people but this is how I store some very important information.

I bought a Printer (not expensive) and a pack of A4 blank paper. By linking the Printer to the computer, I can transfer everything on to a sheet of paper. Then I bought something called a File and put the sheets of paper in there.

So far I have not lost or been unable to open any of these 'papers'.

Hope that helps. :D

Ink fades. But digital photos are just a series of numbers so a 100th generation copy will still be the same as the original in 1000 years time.

In 1000 years time will they still be compatible with Windows 752? 8-)

My take on op question is the newer technology will generally be faster than old, so using older memory chips on cards or usb sticks will always be slow, even when they appeared fast on Win98.

Does not help that less scrupulous manufactuers still use old stock in fancy packaging or counterfeit production.

Most photo memory cards are rated by speed, and these have increased over the years and are still doing so.

So you now have a new super speed card, only to find that Win10 has so many extra services running, together with antivirus, the speed of data transfer has dropped, so much that the Old card and Win98 was faster at doing the job !

I copy my cards to the laptop, then backup the photos folder on usb small hard disk.

Once I have the photos and backup, I always reformat the photo card in the camera. This, in theory, avoid writing to bad sectors in the card.

Only to conclude that photo image storage sizes have grown enormously with the amount of actual pixels used and background information held, this also limits the speed of transfer.

Rgds

Will.......regards printing, if you do a fair bit it would be worth considering a laser printer. Used or refurbished can be bought at decent price now, give quality results and outlast any inkjet. The only other type are dot matrix......outdated now but no silly expensive cartridges to buy and will still be printing long after you've binned over a dozen 50 quid inkjet printers!

I had a dot matrix for 12 years. Bought new i sold it on fleabay for a tenner (nobody wants 'em), still running and in perfect condition. I replaced it with an Epson inkjet.....which went in the bin after a few months.

I use an HP Office 8620 inkjet printer, it works for me, I did buy I think it was an Epson, it had separate bottles of ink that it said lasted for yonks, the printing was wishy washy so I gave it away and bought the HP.

Again thanks for all the input and similar to life in general its on-going and always changing, like the M/H trade only very much cheaper in which we as users will never win !

I appreciate its not a M/H discussion and no one has shouted Get Off but it has been extremely rewarding.

PS yes a Laser Printer was considered and the results are far better but I decide I could produce good quality small volume results easily that suited the customer like Libraries and transport clubs.

A good discussion this and it affects many M/H users. Will

Brock - 2017-08-12 4:16 PM

JPEG images are said to deteriorate every time they are compressed which happens every time they are saved.

That may be so, although I haven't noticed.

But how many times are they saved?

I am just talking about copying, storing, opening and closing, them when I say they will stay the same.

Assuming of course the storage media doesn't deteriorate. But you can transfer it to new media, and make identical copies without losing quality, which you cannot do with a printed photo.

Printed photos deteriorate with light - every time you open the album to look at them. They will deteriorate fast in sunlight. Digital photos don't.

John52 - 2017-08-13 5:28 AM

Printed photos deteriorate with light - every time you open the album to look at them. They will deteriorate fast in sunlight. Digital photos don't.

True John though any keen photographer will have the relevant negatives safely stored away and filed......an early form of 'backing up' if you like!

Archived