Second hand motorhome price fixing.

Noody

Noody - 2017-08-23 6:37 PM

I wonder if Mr Tracker knows the difference because even though 2004 to 2006 i591 are priced around £27.995 (Why do they do that ?) can we call it 28.000. At least two have been advertised over £30.000. One was sold by Southdowns and advertised at £32.000 but they wouldn't tell me how much they let it go for or any other details.

I must confess to knowing very little about A Class vans in general and Burstner in particular, as neither had layouts that suited our preferences, but I still wouldn't pay that kind of money for an ageing example of any van no matter how good it looks! But if it is exactly what you want I can see the attraction.

My limited 50 years experience lies mainly with UK made Coachbuilts and on balance I have always found them remarkably reliable and in the case of Auto Sleepers very well made and durable.

I've very rarely had an issue with the base van and never with the construction and never one that leaked. Autotrail vans seem to creak and groan more than Autosleepers and pre Swift Autocruise on bumpy roads, suggesting body flexing but those that I had never leaked. Perhaps I was just lucky?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

knowing I had to pay a lot more for an A class compared to caravan stuffed onto the back of a Fiat chassis/cab. I wonder if Mr Tracker knows the difference

I'm the worlds worst liar or conman preferring honesty and can detect bullshxt just by the look on a face so I assume you-all may have similar skills.

What an arrogant piece of work you are ... and a total snob. I now regret my involvement in this thread, I have no time for people like you.

can detect bullshxt just by the look on a face

Lot of people think they can spot liars by the look on their face - but they can't.

From what I have seen the professionals like Judges and Police Officers are no better than average at spotting the professional con man by body language alone.

I met one who posed as a vicar (for bogus charity fundraising). He looked more like a vicar than the real vicar does. Everybody was taken in :-S

Tracker - 2017-08-23 7:01 PM

I still wouldn't pay that kind of money for an ageing example of any van no matter how good it looks!

Frankly second hand van prices look high to me too.

We wouldn't buy them because we can afford new.

But if second hand was all you could afford and was available?

Buying new wouldn't be of any benefit to me, even if I could afford it.

I'm two hours drive from the nearest dealer and wouldn't be able to trust them. My dealer of choice would be six hours drive on a good day and an overnight stay for an annual inspection. The nearest Fiat dealer who does take in motorhomes is hardly equipped for the work even though Fiat say they are.

I would much rather buy privately, at least on a legal footing you can converse via an e-mail thread which i'm told would stand up in court if you had to deal with someone making false claims.

I once asked a dealer, in a moment of idle chat at a motorhome show, what sort of customer would cause him to inwardly groan as he approached.  With no hesitation he said "a bearded man carrying a copy of the Guardian under his arm".  I suppose he meant the sort of customer who would be ultra suspicious and challenging in his appproach - and itching to assert his legal rights at the first sign of what he felt might be a rip off.

I suspect I'd be just as wary of a private buyer who came to look at my motorhome with that sort of approach.  At least as a private seller I could tell him to eff off.

EJB - 2017-08-24 2:49 PM

Dealers charge what people will pay......why do we have so many silly people?

My point is that dealers are setting prices and reneging on standards by just spinning vehicles round, as a result owners that can afford it also spin vehicles round every three/four years and so it goes on. I'm not very bright so at the point of sale I produce a van with every conceivable repair dealt with and expect the same price as those just spinning vans round for profit or leisure and largely not dealing with repairs other than mechanical repairs to keep within the law.

This is a generalisation and unfair to some dealers and it's mostly to do with vans a year or so out of warranty, more-so, ten years old plus vans.

Noody - 2017-08-24 11:10 AM

Careful now, stereotypes are typical. How about an 18 stone skinhead, swallows tattoos either side of his neck and a spider tattoo at the back. Hairy ?

Is that a hairy back or a hairy spider?

Anyone living West of Swansea is suspect and I guess that you would blend in well down in deepest, darkest, Pembrokeshire!

Huge smile.

Swansea, Cardiff and Newport are far worse I assure you. H-West can be nasty but less so. I'm still further west by 45 minutes.

Worst things to happen right now is visitors driving along single track roads (we have lots) and they never learnt to reverse, wait for sheep or cattle and for two tractors where the drivers are disgussing important things.

Only last week a small car got walked over by dairy cows because the driver decided to push through the herd rather than wait. Normal for Basingstoke I suppose.

Good lord, I had no idea Basingstoke had moved to Pembrokeshire, how bloomin sneaky was that!

We lived in Pembroke Dock, well someone had to, for about 12 years and seeing how well the Welsh Assembly was looking after us over the years we decided us to move back to England in 2010!

I always thought that 45 mins West of Haverfordwest was on Skomer - hope your van is watertight and floats!

It has been so interesting to read all of the points put ,all have good points,it has made me happy with the way I have just bought my first Motorhome.I have no experience of Motorhome but I have restored a few RollsRoyces & old classic Bentleys.I bout a 2004 Elddis 400 RL 1.9 98,000 miles from a dealer in Northern Ireland the van's body is good,the inside is as good as new it had no awning no bike rack no extras. Asking price was 16,950 I paid 16,000. NOW TO MAKE IT A GOOD VAN I fitted new Diccs & pads,new Drums & Shoes,new wheel bearings ,2 track rods,new tyres,new clutch kit,2x100 solar panels,rug buddy 120 watt heating,I fitted new brushes to the altinator & starter,a chip tuning box to increase BHP from 84 to 105.i had it under sealed.did a lot of sound proofing,I have had it checked for damp which is ok.The dealer fitted a new timing belt and water pump.

The total cost now is £17,900.

I know that it is now a safe van to drive & should not let me down.BUT I HAVE not increased its value,to re-sell it is worth what a buyer will pay

Kevin

Kevin/1946 - 2017-08-24 10:30 PM

I paid 16,000. NOW TO MAKE IT A GOOD VAN[/Quote]Well done Kevin.

I fitted new Diccs & pads,new Drums & Shoes,new wheel bearings ,2 track rods,new tyres,new clutch kit,2x100 solar panels,rug buddy 120 watt heating,I fitted new brushes to the alternator & starter,a chip tuning box to increase BHP from 84 to 105.i had it under sealed.did a lot of sound proofing,I have had it checked for damp which is ok.The dealer fitted a new timing belt and water pump.

The total cost now is £17,900.

You have increased it's value then, problem is, because dealers are THE predominant vendors and rarely, if ever, effect repairs other than to keep the vehicle law-abiding, we have all been reprogrammed to accept that all vehicles will have been neglected to the point of sale and GOT-RID-OF rather than spend money bringing them back and keeping them or selling them for the value-added by the repairs.

I'm mostly referring to habitation issues which are not governed by law, though you can still buy a knacker that holds an MOT for the same price as a vehicle in good order and for the same price. For the same reason.

Yes I take your point,I don't know much about that,I hope I don't live to regret it.The work I did is what I do to all the classic cars that I have done to make them reliable so,I built the cost into my purchase price of the Motorhome it did not have any paper work as the elderly owner died and the family could not find it.In the North of Ireland you can't do a MOT check like you can in UK,the van looks like new inside & out.I did the work to use it for a few years,we like the size and the L lounge.TO SAVE IT FROM DAMP I have fitted a CARPET BUDDY this is a 120 watt 72" by 20" heating element that sticks to a rug and gives a similar effect as under floor heating and costs less than 2.50€ a week it should keep it at 18 to 20 degrees during winter.

DO you know if their is anything I should look at on a Elddis 400 to prevent damp.

Kevin

You need to air off the van to prevent mould forming. When you get those rare Winter days which are mild and sunny, open the windows and rooflights to freshen it up again.

Move cushions and any fabrics away from external walls. Ideally move cushions etc. indoors if possible.

Empty lockers and cupboards and leave them open.

If the van is not being used for long periods, put more air into the tyres to prevent possible flat spots forming. Although it is better to use the van occasionally, enough mileage to thoroughly warm the engine.

Drain off all water and leave the taps in the open position and ensure the engine and leisure battery never get run down.

The only add-on I would make is that I found a dehumidifier essential if you are using any form of heat inside the van. Unless of course you maintain a silver screen on the cab which will stop most condensation though not all.

A dehumidifier is cheap to run if you seal the air vents into the van, using a heater set on frost protection and a dehumidifier has shown to be perfect. I can scan furniture and fabrics for moisture with a scanning devise that doesn't poke holes and doesn't read surface conductivity. It reads changes in density.

I have done this for three years, prior to that the mistake I made was to put a heater in the van without a dehumidifier, then I got lots of condensation around the front end mainly but also on anything that held a temperature differential like screw heads, glass and any metals.

Opening the van up on nice days every now and then has been sufficient in keeping it fresh.

I also steam clean everything regularly with a professional cleaner that injects steam then sucks it out.

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2017-08-25 8:36 PM

You need to air off the van to prevent mould forming. When you get those rare Winter days which are mild and sunny, open the windows and rooflights to freshen it up again.

Move cushions and any fabrics away from external walls. Ideally move cushions etc. indoors if possible.

Empty lockers and cupboards and leave them open.

If the van is not being used for long periods, put more air into the tyres to prevent possible flat spots forming. Although it is better to use the van occasionally, enough mileage to thoroughly warm the engine.

Drain off all water and leave the taps in the open position and ensure the engine and leisure battery never get run down.

Better still take it too Spain for the winter ;-) .........

Dunno what it's does for old Horace?........ but it's done wonders for us B-) ........

Archived