Electrical Issue

Guest cmp936@gmail.com

Guest cmp936@gmail.com

Hello,

We've had a swift Kontiki 645 for about 20 months.

Since replacing the main engine battery we've noticed a few things.

1. The step no longer retracts when you start the engine as before.

2. Fridge not working on 12v whilst on the road.

3. Green light on main unit in the cupboard not illuminating as before.

Any ideas?

can't find any blown fuses, is it maybe that the leisure battery needs replacing too?

Thanks

Col. :- (?) :-S

It sounds as though the connection to the split charge relay, or fuse, has not been connected. In the engine compartment , centrally above the rocker cover there should be a large plastic cover held on by 4 nuts. Under this cover there should be two relays and a fuse block Trace the heavy wiring back to the battery to ensure it has been connected. Should also find a 50Amp fuse in this line.

Re-read post and look for the 50A fuse near the starter battery. Leisure battery should be ok.

Guest cmp936@gmail.com

Ok thank you for the information, I'll look into it when we're back at the storage depot next.

cheers Col.

cmp936@gmail.com - 2017-08-24 4:49 PM

Ok thanks I'll change it.

Col,

Unfortunately you cannot change your user name after you have registered.

If you re-register with a 'made up' name them PM me (I am an assistant Moderator) I will delete this thread containing your email address.

Keith.

PS And welcome to the forum!!!

cmp936@gmail.com - 2017-08-24 2:40 PM

Hello,

Any ideas?

I am not familiar with Swift wiring, but it occurs to me that items 1 and 2 above could both be due to the D+ signal not reaching the 12V Distribution Board. This again is an area where Allan of Aandacaravanservices has a wealth of expertise.

Alan

Alanb - 2017-08-24 7:17 PM

cmp936@gmail.com - 2017-08-24 2:40 PM

Hello,

Any ideas?

I am not familiar with Swift wiring, but it occurs to me that items 1 and 2 above could both be due to the D+ signal not reaching the 12V Distribution Board. This again is an area where Allan of Aandacaravanservices has a wealth of expertise.

Alan

Correct, read second post.

Sshortcircuit,

I did read, and at you suggestion have read again the second post (yours).

If I have understood correctly, you were suggesting that the connection to the starter battery +ve had not been reconnected, or that the 50A fuse was faulty.

I was suggesting that the symptoms that the OP is experiencing could be due to a problem with the D+ connection. This does not conflict with or repeat what you have suggested. It adds to it.

Alan

sshortcircuit - 2017-08-25 8:16 AM

Alan

The connection is direct from the starter batter via. a 40A fuse to the split charge relays. There is no connection to D+ . The circuit diagram is available on Sargent's web site

Thanks for the pointer to Sargent's website, however I have studied the Swift MH Service Book page 17.

In the top RH corner of the diagram there are two relays, with coils connected in parallel, and supplied from the"ALTERNATOR FIELD CIRCUIT", this is what is commonly refered to as "D+".

The RH relay in the diagram is the split charge relay, and the LH relay in the diagram is the fridge relay.

The fridge relay also supplies the step auto retract relay, the "Osberview" unit, and provides a signal to the "main unit".

If the D+ signal is missing, the leisure battery will not charge from the alternator, but this might not be immediately apparent if the OP's vehicle is used on EHU.

If the fridge relay does not receive the D+, or is faulty the symptoms described by the OP will follow.

My reccommendation to the OP is to confirm that the leisure battery is receiving charge when the engine is running. If not then investigate the connections to the relay coils including the earth or negative connection.

Alan

As others have said, this looks like a D+ issue.

On my electroblock (EBL223) there is a smal slide switch that selects either "D+ active high" or "D+ active low. Someone had managed to knock this switch into the wrong position (not easily done) and I had exactly the same issues that you are experiencing. Putting the switch in the correct position fixes it.

Phil

Archived