Wiring up a habitation door to the central locking

PeterCK

We had a problem with the habitation door on our new Imala 625 and had to call the RAC to sort it out. When the guy took the interior door panel off I noticed that the door is wired for remote locking and unlocking. Autotrail say that it's not easy to wire the door into the remote central locking system but I wondered if anyone had done such a job and if there was any guidance available for me?

Thanks

Peter

Fiat vans, on which your MH is based, have remote locking on their back doors. Converters simply use this to wire up the habitation door.

On your particular model, Autotrail have clearly not fitted an electric motor on the habitation lock to save money, but all the wiring will still be there. So, it would be a case of sourcing an electrically operated lock and fitting it. How easy it is, I do not know.

I could be way off beam here but are Motorhomes being sold having to lock the habitation door separately to the cab doors ?

I would have thought that all new Motorhomes would be tri-locking, and those produced in recent years.

Maybe the door should lock, but needs repair ?

Or am I misguided in my thinking ?

Rgds

tonyishuk - 2017-08-29 5:56 PM

I could be way off beam here but are Motorhomes being sold having to lock the habitation door separately to the cab doors ?

Tony,

To be honest that is the way I would actually want it! I do not want my cab doors to unlock when I unlock the hab door for safety and security!

Perhaps there should be two unlock buttons, one for cab doors and the other for the hab door, a bit like Transit vans had to unlock cab or rear doors?

Keith.

Keithl - 2017-08-29 7:12 PM

Tony,

To be honest that is the way I would actually want it! I do not want my cab doors to unlock when I unlock the hab door for safety and security!

Perhaps there should be two unlock buttons, one for cab doors and the other for the hab door, a bit like Transit vans had to unlock cab or rear doors?

Keith.

That's how mine works. One button to lock all three cab and habitation doors together, one to lock cab doors and a third to lock hab door.

crocs - 2017-08-29 8:06 PM

Tony,

Keith.

That's how mine works. One button to lock all three cab and habitation doors together, one to lock cab doors and a third to lock hab door.

Sorry, I'm getting my 'locks' and 'unlocks' mixed up here and seem to be confusing the rest of you into the bargain!

So to summarise my views - If I had central locking on ALL doors I personally would expect one button to LOCK all doors but to have SEPARATE buttons to UNLOCK cab and hab doors!

I would not want to have to unlock my cab doors if I only wished to enter via the hab door.

Keith.

My Rapido has the Ducato 2-button remote key-fob. One button simultaneously opens both cab doors and the habitation area entrance-door and the other button closes all three doors.

The electronics 'think' the habitation door (on the right on my LHD motorhome) is the same as the right-hand cab door and, if I turn on the ignition with the habitation door not closed, a warning message is displayed that the right-front door is open.

Keithl - 2017-08-29 8:22 PM

crocs - 2017-08-29 8:06 PM

Tony,

Keith.

Sorry, I'm getting my 'locks' and 'unlocks' mixed up here and seem to be confusing the rest of you into the bargain!

So to summarise my views - If I had central locking on ALL doors I personally would expect one button to LOCK all doors but to have SEPARATE buttons to UNLOCK cab and hab doors!

I would not want to have to unlock my cab doors if I only wished to enter via the hab door.

Keith.

Just reread my post and see that I've definitely been confused. So, I'll just agree with your post ie I have the Ducato three button key.

Archived