unwelcome passengers

polytome

Hi

We have a 2003 Autotrail Cheyenne 630S on a sprinter base which we have owned for two years and which is perfect for us and our dog. Recently I have noticed some small passengers which I would appreciate the help of yourselves or fellow readers to identify. Our passengers are light brown moth like insects about 4mm long and can fly a bit.I find them crawling on the carpet when I am cleaning,usually around the cooker and fridge area of the van.

The motorhome is dry and we keep it clean and shipshape. I have looked on the internet but cannot find them any suggestions as to what they are,how to get rid of them and wether they are a problem to the structure of the motorhome would be much appreciated.Photos attached.

Thanks for any info

Derek Uzzell - 2017-09-02 7:07 AM

Possibly ‘carpet moths’

http://www.mothkiller.co.uk/case-bearing-carpet-moths-22-c.asp

Gosh, I never knew there where different types of moths!!

Never to old to learn!

Sadly you can no longer buy moth balls.(or there was one called Mothanks, a circle shaped)People used to always put these in the wardrobe years ago. The clothes can out wreaking of them!

PJay

We lost 3 storeys of stair carpet and a bedroom carpet because the mothproofing only lasts 20 years (the current proofing is only good for 10!). When I dismantled the bed and cleared what had been stored underneath I could see bits of debris which I vacuumed up. An hour later my wife asked why I hadn't vacuumed. When I went back there were indeed lots of white bits, which on close inspection were the 6mm long white larvae. Over the next day I collected, with tweezers, over 100 from a 1 sqm area. Yuk.

Muswell - 2017-09-02 1:33 PM

We lost 3 storeys of stair carpet and a bedroom carpet because the mothproofing only lasts 20 years (the current proofing is only good for 10!). When I dismantled the bed and cleared what had been stored underneath I could see bits of debris which I vacuumed up. An hour later my wife asked why I hadn't vacuumed. When I went back there were indeed lots of white bits, which on close inspection were the 6mm long white larvae. Over the next day I collected, with tweezers, over 100 from a 1 sqm area. Yuk.

Yuk indeed!1 What are we supposed to use now to deter them ? I suppose a lot of furnishings are synthetic nowadays. I do miss the old methods , before Health and Safety took over Lucky we don't have underbed storage space, and we do get a lot of spiders around where we live , both in and outside the house, and even in the wing mirrors of the car , so hopefully they will eat the moths!!

Looks like the OP may have to treat the carpet in van

PJay

Archived