Retracting step.

Archiesgrandad

Does anyone have any idea where I might find the fuse for the retracting step under the habitation door of our 1997 Pilote Galaxy 25 S please. It failed to work when we used the van a couple of weeks ago, but had given no trouble before that. Being old and fat I'm not good at getting underneath the van so I haven't tried that yet, but the switch by the door seems completely dead, no clicks or any other sound when pressed. I have removed the switch and there is what appears to be a relay strapped to it, and they are located in the cavity that houses the fridge, and seem very mucky with what looks like the muck and dust from the road, but there is no indication that they get wet.

Any help would be appreciated.

AGD

Thanks for the link Robbo, I now have a better understanding of how it should work, and stomped off into the van to sort it out. Regrettably the first thing that I noticed was that we have a 4 terminal switch, and Clive's diagram shows a 5 terminal switch, so it won't apply to our setup in detail. I still can't find a live feed to the switch or the relay, so I think I still need to find the fuse., does anyone have any thoughts on where I might find it?

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2017-09-03 11:58 AM

Regrettably the first thing that I noticed was that we have a 4 terminal switch, and Clive's diagram shows a 5 terminal switch, so it won't apply to our setup in detail. I still can't find a live feed to the switch or the relay, so I think I still need to find the fuse., does anyone have any thoughts on where I might find it?

AGD

I did consider commenting on this, but since I was rather busy preparing for a now postponed trip to Scotland I did not.

CBE step switches only have four external terminals, but the principle of operation is the same. Further the wire colours shown on Clive's diagram do not match those on my vehicle, which do match those given on another website, and I think those given by Thule in their insallation instructions.

The wire colours for the motor are orange and violet, and with the switch in the unoperated position will be shorted together.

When searching for a live 12V supply at the switch, have you considered the possibility that it could be the negative or earth connection that is missing. Testing for 12V against a separate earth connection would confirm this. Also a high resistance connection in either supply line could give a false "good" reading on a meter, but would not allow the step to operate. Good idea to check with a test lamp.

I cannot help with Pilote's precise placement of the fuse, as my 1990 R390 had a manual step. However It would be good practice for the fuse to be in, or close to, the 12V distribution board.

Alan

Thank you all for your help, the problem is resolved. Whilst waiting for the words of wisdom to appear I decided to waste time investigating why the system will not charge the chassis battery whilst on hookup, so I took the battery out again. This time I noticed that there was a wire that had slipped out out of the ring terminal on the positive connection. A bit of solder and a little time and I can now confirm that it is the feed to the step, and it all works beautifully.

The wiring on this van is a dreadful mess, with the exception of the battery charging problem, which is hardly life threatening, every thing works well, so my instinct and the advise of those who have looked at it is to leave well alone, but if I could sort out the charging I would be chuffed to little bits. I have taken some photos of some of the dodgy looking bits, and if I can work out how to put them up on the forum, I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

So, thanks again for your support, had I not asked for your help I would not have been hanging around with nothing to do whilst I was waiting for your responses, so I wouldn't have found the loose wire and solved my problem. This forum comes up trumps every time.

AGD

Archived