Which Club are you in (and why)?

paul_richardson

Keithl - 2017-09-03 2:08 PM

Paul and Julie,

This question gets asked quite regularly on the forum and usually ends up in very similar discussions. The last time it was asked was only a week or so ago. have a read through here...

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Which-club-to-join-/47690/

All the best in your decisions,

Keith.

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your reply and link, I tried a search before submitting my post, but it didn't come up with anything (obviously used the wrong search terms).

Thanks again,

Paul

We are CMHC members, but that is only because we had a caravan and thought that noise insulation of tents was non existent. From comments made on this forum opinions are divided, for , against and no-way ! They seem to offer much the same facilities.

If you visit the web sites, they will show where the camp sites are, so if they are in areas you may want to visit and some idea of costs. You may have a savings with insurance, ferries and days out. No great problem being a member of both clubs, the membership is the cost of a couple of nights stay, and if you visit both, the savings will pay the subs.

I think both clubs have the ability for searching their sites for late bookings. The problem now seems to be that sites are full on a Saturday night, so making a booking across a weekend mid week to mid week can be a problem .

Rgds

Hi Paul,

I am the one who started the last post off, having read and considered all the replies (helpful, thanks) we have decided to 'go-it-alone' although we might join 'brit stops' for £28.

A simple google search for campsites in 'wherever' (in our case Hampshire) brings up lots of options, reviews give an idea of quality and away you go. I think it might be worth joining one of the clubs (Camping and Caravan club or Camping and Motorhome club) for the ferry discounts but we will check that out once we plan a trip abroad.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy motor homing.

Best

Stewart

:-) :-)

We are into 39 years with C&CC and 35 with what was the CC.

Why, well with the investment we have sat on the drive we want the widest choice of opportunities to use it all.

In our case, this is mainly 5 van sites that need a Defra exemption certificate hosted by an organisation like the two clubs to operate.

Sites that operate outside the exemption certification system will all be larger than 5 vans to be viable getting local authority planning permission, and being large lose any real attraction to us.

7839278_7 - 2017-09-04 7:43 AM

Hi Paul,

I am the one who started the last post off, having read and considered all the replies (helpful, thanks) we have decided to 'go-it-alone' although we might join 'brit stops' for £28.

A simple google search for campsites in 'wherever' (in our case Hampshire) brings up lots of options, reviews give an idea of quality and away you go. I think it might be worth joining one of the clubs (Camping and Caravan club or Camping and Motorhome club) for the ferry discounts but we will check that out once we plan a trip abroad.

Best

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I think we are tempted by the CL/CS sites operated in conjunction with the two main clubs so might join one of them to see if it works out for us.

I've seen Britstops and it sounds another possibility, but I can't seem to find out exactly how many "Britstops" there are.

Have fun in your motorhome.

Regards,

Paul and Julie

Ocsid - 2017-09-04 8:58 AM

We are into 39 years with C&CC and 35 with what was the CC.

Why, well with the investment we have sat on the drive we want the widest choice of opportunities to use it all.

In our case, this is mainly 5 van sites that need a Defra exemption certificate hosted by an organisation like the two clubs to operate.

Sites that operate outside the exemption certification system will all be larger than 5 vans to be viable getting local authority planning permission, and being large lose any real attraction to us.

Hi,

We are definitely tempted by the CL/CS sites operated in conjunction with the two main clubs but don't know which to join, might join one of them to see if it works out for us and try the other for the next year.

I think the Caravan and Camping Club might be the one we start with.

Regards,

Paul and Julie

We're still in the CC (C&MC?) as some of their CLs are very useful to us when attending festivals.

Also, we have the Greenflag Breakdown/Dual recovery through them and for us, it worked out cheaper for both of our vehicles, than it was for just the OH through AA, for basic cover on her car alone!

We were in the C&CC for a few years but at the time they didn't allow (or didn't allow "the booking"?) of a Fri or Sat' one nighter.....which was a problem for us, as due to work we couldn't always get away early enough on the Fri , or stay the Mon, to do the 2 nights.. so due to lack of use we let it lapse.

ukcampsite.co.uk is a useful website for searching sites..

Friends of ours use Britstops a fair bit and rate it highly...We did look at joining but again, due to work and family "stuff" we don't tend to have the empty time to "tour" at will, and as most of our camping tends to be quite "targeted" (as in, we aim for somewhere, usually for a specific reason, and therefore by default, usually on a specific date?), so we weren't quite sure if Britstops would be for us?..

There is certainly no need to join any "club" (we haven't been on a main "club" site for a few years now) but I certainly wouldn't base any decision on the anti-club stuff that *some churn out on forums..

(*Usually those who have never used one in decades, if at all or who claim they never use them but do or who are just disgruntled because the very popular 'site they wanted to stay on, was full up the day they wanted it! ;-) )

For about three year now i attend dog agility competition. Mostly belgium, but also international, including the UK. On average about 50 motorhomes, excluding Vans. Mostly parking on farmer land. Therefore we are aware of ground clearance. And yes sometimes we are sitting like a duck covered in the grass,and no movement possible unless you have 4Wd traction. Than the pull-out tractors came into action. The tow eye of the fiat ducato is the weakest. The ford transit the strongest. They have their limits, and are not designed for this. During this years in our club i learned about motorhomes brands .German brands are the best. In house quality and interface connection to the common chassis makers. The french are less. Proven last weekend on a new pilote g746 integral sensation motorhome which had a plastic covering in the front bed full of wet damp. The germans have insulation in the front roof and no cold barriers.

paul_richardson - 2017-09-04 10:23 AM

7839278_7 - 2017-09-04 7:43 AM

Hi Paul,

Best

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I think we are tempted by the CL/CS sites operated in conjunction with the two main clubs so might join one of them to see if it works out for us.

I've seen Britstops and it sounds another possibility, but I can't seem to find out exactly how many "Britstops" there are.

Have fun in your motorhome.

Regards,

Paul and Julie

The answer is 760 Brit Stops - see the website main page here: http://www.britstops.com/welcome.php

The number at any one time varies as pubs start and stop being a venue but Steve and Mandy issue regular email updates to those who have bought the guide.

We are regular users and can recommend this variant of France Passion and the other European schemes.

And another thing.....

If you have a motorhome awning which when erected on the MH gives a width more than 5 metres - think again about joining either club. 8-)

We found out to our dismay that our 6 metre wide MH and Vango awning is absolutely a no no with the C&CC on its standard pitch and ditto on the CMC. We were told in no uncertain terms by the jobsworths at one site that we could not possibly put one metre of our awning on "their " pristine grass between the pitches. This was of course despite the adjacent caravan owner's car being parked on the grass the other side of the pitch! Rules are very definitively not flexible rules in both clubs.

So we now use sites where we know we will be welcome with a 7.5 metre long MH with 6 metre width set up. That usually means a CL or a commercial site or anywhere across the channel where the 6 metre (fire separation) rule is viewed as a quaint British tradition :-D

Unless I have missed it, I have not noticed that anyone mentions that the Camping and Caravan Club give age concession (I think that this starts at the age of 55yrs). Outside of peak months, July and August, there can be useful savings on site fees on the club sites. As far as I know, the Caravan and Motorhome Club have not followed suit.

John L

Wirralian - 2017-09-05 12:09 PM

Unless I have missed it, I have not noticed that anyone mentions that the Camping and Caravan Club give age concession (I think that this starts at the age of 55yrs). Outside of peak months, July and August, there can be useful savings on site fees on the club sites. As far as I know, the Caravan and Motorhome Club have not followed suit.

John L

John,

The age concession age was 55 for several years but has now reverted to its 'original' age of 60.

My wife qualified while it was at 55 but I missed out when they changed back to 60 so I still have a long wait :-(

Keith.

Archived