Lithium Batteries - The honest Truth?

aandncaravan

A little late in replying to the post. I have been looking at the subject of Lithium batteries for the past year. A fellow wild camper had 2 fitted and all the necessary bits. He is enthralled with the performance.

My requirements are less than his. I looked at the various options to extend my time off grid. I looked at

a) adding a another battery as in my previous model, Hymer explained that If I just place another Varta battery, as the current was about 11 months old I would not get the benefit of the 95ah.

b) to match the battery in the mothrhome would cost some 350eu.

c) the option suggested by Hymer, Bad Waldsee, was to replace the installed battery by 2 new ones.. 700 euros.

d) I then looked at the possibility of buying a Honda generator, closer examination indicated the issue of stale petrol. According to Honda if the petrol was more than one month old, it was no longer suitable and could invalidate the warranty.

e) There was the alternative of LPG, Diesel. 2 stroke etc. With the possible hostility from vigilante campers, just when I needed a little power made me give up that idea.

With my old battery I was able to survive with my Solar for about 2.5 days (UK) with careful usage.

I have just had a Lithium battery fitted, it was simple 1 for 1 replacement. I was able to use TV/computer every night for 5 days.

For the price of the Lithium I could have bought 3 varta batteries (approx 50 days on hook up). . Many lithium vendors make many false claims about weight. I think that I have saved one third in weight over lead.

The Varta battery had problems delivering enough power to my inverter to power my computer, this problem disappeared with the Lithium. As if I needed convincing, Hymer are now offering a lithium option. I understand that Hobby are also fitting lithium as standard.

Last but not least, Lead acid batteries can also explode, the difference is that it happens frequently enough not to make the news.

Regards,

Steve

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The place that I had my lithium fitted were boasting an (nearly all) electric camper. This Sprinter based vehicle used 3 or 6 batteries. They did not have gas bottles, they used induction hob, Microwave, fridge, external BBq and fans. The heating was Diesel.

This question comes down to price and type of use. If you really need high current capability (AC on solar, hand-tools etc.) or full time off grid living in various latitudes and climates with limited battery space, then lithium is the only realistic option. Not cheap but that's hardly the question in that scenario.

But for most people who spend a few days off grid at most, there's currently still no cost effective lithium solution that would make sense. Unless of course, as some YouTube celebrity says... if you buy lithium you can load more beer.

What bothers me is the perpetuation of the 100% DoD myth that everyone keeps pushing. As in, you can replace 2x100Ah lead batteries with 100Ah lithium to get equivalent useful capacity and all your problems are solved. Possibly, if it were true that lithium (any chemistry variation) would really tolerate full discharge and full recharge. But they don't if you care about long cycle life. For optimal life they should be kept between 20 and 80% SOC, and at around 50% if left in storage. So just like with lead you're not using the full capacity. There is undoubtedly more useful capacity and the cycle life is longer but at what price?

PS here's some useful lithium charging/maintenance advice from a guy who lives in his van full time and knows a thing or two about batteries, solar and the rest from a few years of personal experience:

https://www.amumot.de/lithium-batterien-lifepo4-richtig-laden/

Kniste - 2018-08-31 11:02 AM

.......The Varta battery had problems delivering enough power to my inverter to power my computer, this problem disappeared with the Lithium. As if I needed convincing, Hymer are now offering a lithium option. I understand that Hobby are also fitting lithium as standard..........

Regards,

Steve

Steve,

If you wish to reduce your 12V consumption, you should consider using an "automotive" 12V input PSU for your computer. These are available with adjustable output voltages and interchangeable connector tips.

Alan

Kniste - 2018-08-31 11:10 AM

The place that I had my lithium fitted were boasting an (nearly all) electric camper. This Sprinter based vehicle used 3 or 6 batteries. They did not have gas bottles, they used induction hob, Microwave, fridge, external BBq and fans. The heating was Diesel.

I hope that it also had a high output alternator, to cope with the load.

Alan

Archived