avtex tv too old

tonyg3nwl

Hi, my avtex tv type w153d has decided to play up. The remote control has ceased to function.

I have replaced its batteries thinking that was most likely problem, but still no control function.

quick call to avtex in Cardiff, found that there is no spare remote controller, and in any case the tv is "too old", so may not be repairable.

internet search showed remote lookalike controller is available via amazon so have risked trying one of these, due to arrive in a couple of days..

not sure of actual age of tv, as it came with the van, secondhand to us, but originally registered 2009..

that would make it age about 8 years.. I know tv has changed over the years, but until very recently, the tv was functional. So, how old is Too Old...

just hope that controller is the faulty bit,.

tonyg3nwl

Hi, thanks for that tip , Keith.

just checked it and no light seen, so compared it with house tv controller, and light seen..

that has convinced me that the avtex controller is knackered..not really sure why it has died, but now waiting for alledged compatible replacement..

thanks for the response.

tonyg3nwl

Guest pelmetman
tonyg3nwl - 2017-10-02 11:53 AM

not sure of actual age of tv, as it came with the van, secondhand to us, but originally registered 2009..

that would make it age about 8 years.. I know tv has changed over the years, but until very recently, the tv was functional. So, how old is Too Old...

just hope that controller is the faulty bit,.

tonyg3nwl

So a 8 year old telly snuffs it ........Do you replace it with another 400 quid telly or a £100 jobby ....Hmmmm ;-) ........

Seeing as our 100 quid 2011 telly lasted until this year ( still worked just annoying white line).......I reckon I'll stick to the cheap end of the market B-) ......

I have an Avtex dvd/tv and have had dealings with them over the phone so what you say comes as no surprise.

Their products are good, at least when they work, but their customer care is the polar opposite. My query involved getting the set to 'read' usb (never managed it), but the guy i spoke with was abrupt, dismissive and far from helpful.

Eight years for a television isn't good enough imo bearing in mind all Avtex tv's are far from cheap but you are buying a multi-standard which you won't get with any cheap sets.

It would be worth you keeping an eye on ebay for an original.....i'm afraid that's the best you can hope for at the moment if this control you've ordered doesn't do the trick.

It would be worth you keeping an eye on ebay for an original.....i'm afraid that's the best you can hope for at the moment if this control you've ordered doesn't do the trick

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had two Avtex TV's and they have been great and still working in the home but the one thing I found was the remotes do pack up after a couple of years so I went on eBay and put the remote model in and I found a company from China that was selling them it took about two weeks to get it but it worked fine.

Mickydripin - 2017-10-04 2:47 PM

I have had two Avtex TV's and they have been great and still working in the home but the one thing I found was the remotes do pack up after a couple of years so I went on eBay and put the remote model in and I found a company from China that was selling them it took about two weeks to get it but it worked fine.

Seems i've been lucky as my set is not far off the age of the op's and my remote is fine. Only had to replace the battery once and the tv/dvd works perfect.

Glad to see the op has got his sorted now. Avtex telling him it was "too old" were probably hoping to sucker him into buying a new set.

My avtex 15 yrs old, speak to ' older guy' at avtex! My volume went, young guy said no repair, mature guy said, tune radio into 93.0 and listen through speakers in van! Problem fixed, however new models do not have the same facility so we keeping our old one. Good luck!

Archived