Thetford winter vent cover

hammer

Hi, I am needing two large winter vent covers and the cheapest I can find them is approximately £20 each. £40 for two bits of plastic measuring 480x235mm is a bit excessive.

Does anyone know of a shop that sells them cheaper?

I could make some myself, however I had a look in B&Q last night and could only find shed window perspex (expensive) or the sides off a plastic storage box which would be fragile when cold. Any ideas of what I could use to make my own?

Thanks

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit blunt but you've probably spent in excess of £30,000 buying your MH and now you begrudge paying £40 on 'essential' parts! Sorry but I can't see your logic!

If it where me I would just shell out the forty quid and get the proper parts!

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's my thoughts on the matter.

Keith.

Agree with Keith.

Have a look on leisureparts for the correct part because they may be more than just a bit of plastic. If you can make them for less, you will have the makings of a cottage industry.

I agree that the retail price is high but sadly motorhome prices are like that. There isn't enough competition, and the market is too small, to bring down prices.

Brock - 2017-10-07 6:04 PM

...they may be more than just a bit of plastic...

The ‘covers’ for my Thetford fridge/freezer are essentially just pieces of white plastic sheeting that are fitted BEHIND the external ventilation grilles.

It should be easy enough to DIY covers, though you’d need to be careful about the heat resistance of the material employed (thin aluminium sheet would be ’safe’ if there were any doubts about using plastic sheet).

However, I note that covers are being offered here

http://www.outdoorbits.com/thetford-fridge-vent-winter-cover-large-p-5087.html?name=Thetford%20Fridge%20Vent%20Winter%20Cover%20Large

with a pair costing £18.63 and delivery costing a further £10 (£28.63 overall).

Writing from a position of ignorance, are vent covers actually needed? – ie what is their purpose? Is the objective to reduce ventilation to help the gas raise the temperature to allowing cooling to take place in the absorption fridge during winter? And if so, what are the implications on exhaust gas venting? My fridge incidentally is Dometic and vents exhaust gases through the top vent.

Broadly, they have two functions. They reduce airflow during cold weather to optimise fridge function, which otherwise deteriorates, and they protect to some extent the fridge housing from driving rain and snow, so keeping it dryer and in better condition when the fridge is out of use.

Keithl - 2017-10-07 6:40 PM

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit blunt but you've probably spent in excess of £30,000 buying your MH and now you begrudge paying £40 on 'essential' parts! Sorry but I can't see your logic!

Keith.

I think "hammers" question is reasonable and to have the above reply is out of order .. I would ask as well if the prices seem extortionate for any parts and have done so and got be cheaper parts elswhere .As you see Derek has come up with a better price so its always worth asking even if you did pay 30,000 grand for your van. ..........

BKen1 - 2017-10-07 8:01 PM

Keithl - 2017-10-07 6:40 PM

Keith.

I think "hammers" question is reasonable and to have the above reply is out of order .. I would ask as well if the prices seem extortionate for any parts and have done so and got be cheaper parts elswhere .As you see Derek has come up with a better price so its always worth asking even if you did pay 30,000 grand for your van. ..........

Brian,

I did quite clearly say this was my opinion and apologised in advance if it was not what Hammer wanted to hear.

I was actually going to add that perhaps the covers could be found cheaper elsewhere but decided not to to keep my post short.

Hammer,

Sorry again if I offended but I did say it was my opinion and it looks as though Derek has found you a cheaper supplier.

Keith.

Archived