Damp crystal moisture traps

steveandlisa

Hi folks,

I have bought a Kontrol mega moisture trap to help combat the damp/condensation in our m/home, has anyone used damp crystal moisture traps and do they work?

Last year over wintering our m/home suffered damp & black/green mildew on the veneer surfaces, no structural damage occurred and the bedding and furnishings were untouched. Although It cleaned off easily with bleach and soapy water it took me a good half day.

Unfortunately I don't have any means of running electricity to the m/home so this year I intend to run the Truma gas blown warm air system periodically providing the hab battery stays charged via the solar panel.

Regards Steve

We always put 3 or 4 in our van each year. Spread them about front/back centre ,( I buy them from the £1 shops) They usually last all winter, but we do live in the warmer south of country.. They do work, as we once had some mildew on the mainly plastic wall of the toilet compartment, which did wipe off easily. We did once cover the vent in toilet, big mistake! now don't do that, as you do need some air.

We also can not have electric available, as we keep on a site, not at home. I don't personally think it a good idea to warm the van, if not in use, as you are causing more moisture to build up inside. we leave ours for weeks at a time, and just go and check it over, just start it to check the battery is OK. . Just got back from Spain, so once the van goes to site, will not got used again, untill February when it has it's MOT and service.

PJay

Better than nothing but in all honesty they have little real impact if you do suffer from damp.  If you use them be very careful not to spill the liquid contents anywhere other than down the drain.  The liquid is very difficult to clean up and reacts with metal.....I know I spilt some in my MH hence I know they are quite ineffective and a royal pain to clean up if spilt.

Bought a box of them and keep a few in the van. They do seem to fill up slowly, simply chuck them away when done, - the water in them does look horrible. I have also bought a couple of big bags which absorb water, then the indicator changes it's possible to take the filler out and microwave it, - or bake it in the oven.

I don't think they would control damp in the sense of having a leak - with moisture flowing into the panels somewhere from outside but 2 individuals living, cooking and showering in the van generates a lot of moisture and as it cools that's likely to condense on the coldest surfaces. These containers will capture some of that .

The best thing I think is to maintain air flow as much as possible, we leave cupboards open, toilet door open, fridge open etc which helps.

RogerC - 2017-10-13 9:17 PM

Better than nothing but in all honesty they have little real impact if you do suffer from damp.  If you use them be very careful not to spill the liquid contents anywhere other than down the drain.  The liquid is very difficult to clean up and reacts with metal.....I know I spilt some in my MH hence I know they are quite ineffective and a royal pain to clean up if spilt.

Thats actually quite sensible 8-)

If we avoided certain subjects we might actually get on (lol)

Sounds to me like you have a major damp water ingress problem with your van (British built van by any chance?).

Dehumidifiers/moisture traps won't do much as Motorhomes have permanent ventilation so all you are trying to do is dry out the atmosphere. Not much point in using heating either as warm air holds more moisture.

We never do anything like that with our van and never have any problems.

I really think you need to find the source of the problem rather than trying to mask it.

lennyhb - 2017-10-14 9:39 AM

(British built van by any chance?).

Here we go again *-)

Dehumidifiers/moisture traps won't do much as Motorhomes have permanent ventilation

Except foreign built ones obviously *-)

Not much point in using heating either as warm air holds more moisture.

So why don't we get the same problem in centrally heated homes

We never do anything like that with our van and never have any problems.

I really think you need to find the source of the problem rather than trying to mask it.

If you could put aside your obsession against British built vans, you might be able to look at more likely causes - like the OP's van perhaps parked in a damper climate

aandy - 2017-10-14 10:51 AM

I'm not sure that occasionally running the heating will help and it may well exacerbate the problem, as condensation is mostly likely to form when warm air cools.

Exactly what i said in my post

PJay

Archived