spare tyre, is it worth having one?

rooster63

Have a Citroen Relay based pvc and when it was converted the cradle for the spare wheel was removed to make space for the water tank. When I bought the van it came suppled with an emergency inflator/sealant. On making a few enquiries at a couple of local tyre centres they said that if I needed a new tyre suitable for a campervan it would have to be ordered in and would take a couple of days, not ideal if we were away from home.

Had wondered about buying a spare tyre (not a wheel as too heavy) putting into a storage bag and fixing it to the lower part of the Fiamma bike rack underneath the bike rails. Don't want to carry it in the van as space is at a premium. Would have to make some sort of bracket/clamp.

What do folk think? Is it worth doing? Any pitfalls?

My latest van came with a spare wheel and tyre for which I am grateful, but I have only had two punctures on a motorhome over 40 years but one left no tyre to be repaired.

the others on a works 7.5 tonner burst into flames oops.

I think personally, carrying a tyre is a good idea or at least I can't think of any reason why not to.

Pete

Our last van - a coachbuilt - came new without a spare wheel. We had the van five years and covered 30,000 miles, mostly on the continent, without incident.

BUT, I was always on edge about it.

I did however invest about £100 in TyrePal tyre pressure monitors, in the hope I might catch a slow puncture before wrecking a tyre.

Now have a van conversion that came with a full-size spare, and feel much more relaxed and comfortable knowing it's there if needed.

Difficult to answer your question, but ultimately, it's what you feel most comfortable doing.

A lot depends on where you go and how you camp.

If you stay in the UK and use sites then chances are you or someone local can sort you out if you have an unrepairable puncture.

If you like to get to hard to reach places then a spare wheel would be handy, just in case.

If you go abroad, and we did without incident for many years, there is always the chance you might, due to language and supply issues, end up taking a long time to get a new tyre, or worse, be unknowingly to you sold an unsuitable tyre.

We always felt happier with a spare, like jump leads, and hope you never need them.

rooster63 - 2017-10-23 10:07 AM

Have a Citroen Relay based pvc and when it was converted the cradle for the spare wheel was removed to make space for the water tank. When I bought the van it came suppled with an emergency inflator/sealant. On making a few enquiries at a couple of local tyre centres they said that if I needed a new tyre suitable for a campervan it would have to be ordered in and would take a couple of days, not ideal if we were away from home.

Had wondered about buying a spare tyre (not a wheel as too heavy) putting into a storage bag and fixing it to the lower part of the Fiamma bike rack underneath the bike rails. Don't want to carry it in the van as space is at a premium. Would have to make some sort of bracket/clamp.

What do folk think? Is it worth doing? Any pitfalls?

As others have implied, whether it is worth it depends on how lucky you feel. Some are content without a spare, reasoning that punctures are rare these days, others (including me) are inclined toward Sod's law (that if it can happen, it probably will - sooner or later :-D).

What I would say is that a spare carried on a bike rack rails is a bit of an act of faith. First, it would be relatively easy to steal. Second, if the spare tyre does need to be fitted, you won't be able to use it to get your van to the nearest fitter. Third, these tyres are heavy. You say you would carry it beneath the bike rails, which implies to me that bikes will also be carried. My concern would then be that the rack itself would be overloaded. Fourth, if point three is correct, you may have trouble with rear axle load, since your general comments imply the van is already close to ite maximum permissible weight.

Looking at new vans at the NEC show on Friday some not all but some did not have a spare and many of them had no place to put one, not good. We also have a TyrePal system and I'm sure can help detect a puncture and so save a tyre. like the idea of taking just the tyre not a wheel as a local tyre fitter should not be that hard to find as in most countries motorhome tyres will not be in stock like they are not in the UK. Storing the tyre would still be a mega problem as putting it on a bike rack etc would make it a easy target for toe rags. I know Auto Trails still sell all vans with a new spare as I asked as the Tribute and Imala Trackers don't have the spare on the rear of the van but under the van. Not a easy one as all makes are getting closer to the pay load max i.e most giving weights without water etc. Me I like a spare with me.Have fun.

Rooster,

I personally would prefer to have a full spare tyre/wheel with me as even if I could not change it then a breakdown service would be able to get me back on the road with minimum fuss and time delay.

Do you have a towbar fitted as towbar mounted spare wheel carriers are available and would be far more secure than a tyre on your bike rack. The only downside would be the extra weight of the towbar if you are already struggling for payload.

Keith.

I would advise you to buy a spare wheel and not rely on the blow up kit provided.

We have our spare in the back of the garage of our Motorhome and I wouldn't travel far without it at home or abroad.

So, you're in the middle of France and you have a puncture - of course it's the weekend and all the tyre depots are shut and it's a Bank Holiday on Monday and you can't speak much French.

And you haven't got a spare wheel.

Call out the recovery services to help you? – best of luck with that one!

A few years ago we were on an Aire in France and a fellow Brit pointed out that my front tyre looked 'a bit low'.

It had a slow puncture, a nail was in it, and between us we changed the wheel in a few minutes.

I took the tyre to a local garage and they repaired the tyre, charged €10, and we were on our way in less than half an hour.

If we hadn't had a spare wheel we could have been standing around for hours, and I don't exaggerate possibly days, waiting for a recovery vehicle and then they have to source a correct size replacement.

Calling the recovery people should be your last thought not your first as they are very thin on the ground at weekends and the frequent public holidays and your, and certainly mine, lack of foreign language skills to summon the recovery may also delay their response.

Taking a spare tyre, instead of a heavy wheel and tyre, is another option to keep weight down if you're worried about payload but going beyond these shores without a spare wheel seems to me fraught with danger and lack of common sense.

And waiting for recovery services in this country may not be as long but they still have to find a correct size replacement and that could prove very difficult for many Motorhomes.

You could just take a spare tyre to save weight but you'd have to rely on the breakdown services, in whichever country you were in, to change the tyres and that could involve a lot of waiting time for them to arrive and do the job.

Why manufactures won't supply a spare wheel is, in my opinion, short sighted and poor customer relations.

Compared to the many thousands of pounds we initially pay for their vehicles a few more extra quid for a spare wheel isn't going to stop us buying a motorhome – and it gives peace of mind to the buyer.

Solomongrundy - 2017-10-23 12:53 PM

Why manufactures won't supply a spare wheel is, in my opinion, short sighted and poor customer relations.

If the manufacturers can persuade people to accept a van without a spare wheel ( i.e. increase their profits ) - why would they supply one ?

Is up to the buyer whether he gets a van with a spare - or not.

:-|

Mickt - 2017-10-23 12:01 PM

I seem to remember that you must have a spare in Spain, or am i wrong

I don't think that can be totally correct.

If a vehicle is supplied from new without a spare wheel, only a repair kit, then I'm sure that is legally acceptable. Same with insurance and breakdown companies.

But if the vehicle was originally supplied with a spare, then it is expected you will carry it (rather than, for example, toss it out for more payload or storage space).

I think a lot depends on how self sufficient you prefer to be and how risk averse you are. I’d suggest that if you do decide to carry a spare then you practice changing a wheel to make sure that you have the means to do so. The standard wheel braces seldom have the leverage to undo the wheel bolts. Personally, I carry a full spare (both for the van and my car), a torque wrench and a lump of wood to support the jack in case I’m jacking up on soft ground. I also carry a bottle jack as a fall back – possibly overkill but whilst I'm not risk averse I do like to be self sufficient.

a blow out in France three weeks ago carried a spare Thank goodness.

Even though it costs a fortune to get it changed - the piece of mind was worth every penny- and there was no way the supplied lifting gear could support the loaded weight and the tools to undo the the nuts, a serious hammer was required . of course not forgetting the potential wait for a replacement Michelin camper tyre

If have the weight allowance GET one

For me, yes I would be most unhappy being without a spare especially as within the last few months my car has had a nail in two tyres (not at the same time) resulting in having to replace due to them being too near the sidewall. Bought a spare, used, with a good tyre for £49 (delivered) via Breakeryard. It fits between the two floors on my EuraMobil. OK, extra weight taken up but at least I can get on the road again without any speed restriction. These tyre inflator kits limit you in speed, just like those space saver spares. My Pug 206 came with a space saver which I ditched for a full size - fits in the same cradle. When buying used ensure that it is the correct size rim, e.g. for a Ducato there are several sizes and stud configurations. You might have to clean them a bit as they are obviously a bit rusty.

vino - 2017-10-23 6:19 PM

and there was no way the supplied lifting gear could support the loaded weight

My reading indicates that others have raised issue over the capability of the standard vehicle jacks, it’s one of the reasons I bought the bottle jack. However, the scissor jack that came with my van is rated to 1.75T which is ample for lifting one corner of the van to change a wheel. Have the jacks become less robust over the years? Mine’s the one supplied with the vehicle from 2003.

Hi rooster63,

I’ve had one for 8 years now, and not needed it yet, but I’d rather cut down the stuff we take away with us than get rid of the spare wheel and tyre.

I am finding that we can reduce the “essentials” to make space for an awning, and because of the way we camp, I.e. on sites, we don’t need 80-150itres of water on board at all times.

Peace of mind is worth a lot.

Regards

Alan b

My 2006 MH was supplied with a spare wheel and in eleven years it's never been used - but we tour mainly abroad and use Aires a lot (so like to have at least half a tank of water as we travel and payload becomes an issue) but I would feel naked without a spare wheel.  A MH which couldn't accommodate a spare and/or didn't have enough payload to carry water would be no use to me.  I would do without our rooftop air con (which is heavy for what it does for us) rather than sacrifice the spare wheel.

Bruce M

fair point but I was on a slight gradient and without the right tools and support there was no way was I taking the risk. Still needed a chunk of wood to support the jack which I didn't have. And all that apart there was no way could I get my nuts off

Archived