depreciation

rambo63

Sell it privately, and pocket the 5K that the dealer would make yourself.

I bought my first van for 27K, 6 months old with 3K miles, put 62k miles on it over 7 years, had about 500 nights away and sold it for 20.5K privately. That my friends is cheap motoring by anyone's standards!

The current van was bought new just over 2 years ago for £41K, and now has 20K miles and some 200 nights on it. I don't expect to do so well with this, but the same spec van is now £49K new so that will prop up the value of mine - at least Brexit was good for something...

Motor-homes are designed to be used - hotels are far cheaper if you ain't gonna use the van.

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for not replying sooner reason for low mileage is mh been in dealers for on going faults been in dealers more times than we used it , thats the reason we looking to replace it with a Germany built one, and one where the supplying dealers and manufacture are more customer friendly and helpful.

rambo63 - 2017-11-13 7:52 PM

Sorry for not replying sooner reason for low mileage is mh been in dealers for on going faults been in dealers more times than we used it , thats the reason we looking to replace it with a Germany built one, and one where the supplying dealers and manufacture are more customer friendly and helpful.

Have you decided what you want the replace the Majestic with? If so, why not try taking your van around a few dealers for that make, and see what they offer for you Majestic against the van you actually want? Alternatively, look on the internet for similar 2015 Majestics for sale, and see what the going rate seems to be. Then you'll have some idea of what they sell for. You could always then sell privately, undercutting the dealer prices, which would still get you a better price that you'd be liable to get from any dealer under any kind of deal.

michaelmorris - 2017-10-26 8:11 PM

We did the maths before we bought our van and worked out that owning a motorhome was not a route to cheap holidays. When you add up all the costs, we reckon it costs around the same as renting cottages. What the motorhome gives us is flexible holidays and easy spontaneous touring.

When we retire and get to (hopefully) use the van much more, then it will give us cheap holidays.

We find it far cheaper than any other form of holiday but we are retired if we take worst case depreciation of 5% (lasts van was less than 3%/year) and include all the extras we put on the van. There is no way we could hire accommodation/hotels for 4 to 5 months for just under the 4 grand a year the depreciation costs us. Running costs on the Motorhome are negligible, less than the car, don't count fuel as you have got to get to where you are going by some means.

Last year 125 nights away in the van nearly all of them abroad cost us less than the 6 week trip to Thailand the same year to visit our daughter who lives there.

Archived