dome light bulb changing

rooster63

As your PJB Motorhomes “Bacca” is essentially a one-off, it's going to be difficult to provide definitive advice on how to change the bulb in the “dome light”, as 2007 Relay panel vans would not have had this type of light fitting as standard and the converter would have had free choice over what interior lights to install.

You could try pulling the complete light downwards in case it’s held by clips (though that might still not allow the bulb to be accessed) but you really need to provide a photo of the dome-light if you want other than blind-guesswork suggestions.

Perhaps this may help?

The ceiling mounted lights in my IH Tio R are not dome shaped, as they have flat glasses. The glasses are retained by a metal surround which clips to the lamp base. The metal rings just need to be prised off.

However as Derek has suggested, a picture would help.

Alan

It’s anybody’s guess what the make/model of light PJB Motorhomes chose to fit 10 years ago, and hoping to find the lights still advertised would be very optimistic.

The 4 reading lights fitted to my 2015 Rapido (and to hosts of other Rapido motorhomes) are clearly Dometic products (photo attached), but there are no obvious clues as to how they are attached to the furniture and Dometic no longer markets them. In fact the lights have a separate plastic base that is screwed to the furniture and the chromed cover-with-switch is then just pushed on to that base. Removing the cover from the base requires judicious application of brute force - not a gentle pull, but a really hard tug. Taking out the rear-pin LED ‘bulb’ requires the tubular glass shade to be unscrewed, but then you have to screw the shade on without the bulb in place and work out a way to fit the bulb back into its socket.

My experience of motorhome lights is that it’s either obvious how to change the bulb, or a sneaky trick is involved. I’ve disassembled lights completely to change a bulb and then found that this was unnecessary and the bulb could easily be replaced without the light being removed or pulled apart.

(No real help for rooster63 - just an observation...)

dometic-light.thumb.jpg.2154ed3457c30e76aa5ccb0849621704.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2017-10-27 8:02 AM

ITaking out the rear-pin LED ‘bulb’ requires the tubular glass shade to be unscrewed, but then you have to screw the shade on without the bulb in place and work out a way to fit the bulb back into its socket.

Derek,

We used to have a dining room light with slim shades similar to your picture and the procedure to change the bulbs sounds not too dissimilar to what you are describing so I devised an 'Applicator' (think feminine products here :D )

This was basically a piece of soft plastic tube which slid over the bulb and gently gripped it and then a hard plastic biro outer case which slid into the tube and could push the bulb out. The procedure was to 'load' the bulb into the end of the tube with the pins protruding (without touching the glass as they where Halogen) then insert the pins into the light fitting using the biro case to push the bulb. Finally by holding the biro case against the bulb the plastic tube could be withdrawn from over the bulb.

This idea may help others who are trying to fit end pin bulbs in tight light fittings like you have pictured.

Keith.

PS The plastic tube could also be used to remove the old bulb by pushing it over the bulb then pulling the bulb out!

Are we talking one of the three lights in a row under lockers? If so they look same as one I removed from my Campscout galley, I'm not sure offhand how I removed it, but let me know if it is that type and I'll try and find the old one which should let me know how it comes apart.

Keithl

Your ‘applicator’ would not work with the Dometic light-unit as it does not have a traditional bulb.

As I said earlier the Dometic lamp has a back-pin LED disc (of the type shown in the attached photo) and the tubular glass ‘shade' fits closely over the disc, preventing anything being slid over the latter.

The LED disc in the Dometic lamp has a short wire protruding from near the centre of its upper surface, and I was able to grip that wire with a pair of long needle-nose pliers and position the disc so that its rear pins entered the socket at the inner end of the glass shade.

If the LED disc had been like the example in the photo (with no protruding wires to grab hold of) I would have used a scrunched-up ball of masking-tape on the end of a stick to hold the disk while I manoeuvered it into its socket.

LED.jpg.97a0ac512537751f8670bccbe19da5fa.jpg

Thought I had attached a photo but maybe fell foul off the size limit. Tried again but then was told the site was down for maintenance, so will try again.

No doesn't seem to work, get an error message

I tried it this way.

Tick the box that says 'Attach a file after posting'

Then when I had submitted the post had the option to choose file, which I could do but then it seemed to fail at the next step.

Could it be an issue with Macs or Safari?

Computers!!!! worked on the 3rd time, so hopefully I photo and somebody can help me open the light so that if the bulb goes I can do something about it and also look into using a LED

1866372804_domelight2.thumb.jpg.d3ed66fb8dccdd1154909e7cec391eb3.jpg

That looks a little bit like the one we have in Campscout (not the same as one I posted about above), but not quite the same, ours has 3 or 4 small lugs which locates the 'lens' into the base, I suspect that one may have a continuous 'bead' which locates in base and needs to be very carefully prised off.

rooster63 - 2017-10-30 4:08 PM

Thought I had attached a photo but maybe fell foul off the size limit. Tried again but then was told the site was down for maintenance, so will try again.

No doesn't seem to work, get an error message

I tried it this way.

Tick the box that says 'Attach a file after posting'

Then when I had submitted the post had the option to choose file, which I could do but then it seemed to fail at the next step.

Could it be an issue with Macs or Safari?

Computers!!!! worked on the 3rd time, so hopefully I photo and somebody can help me open the light so that if the bulb goes I can do something about it and also look into using a LED

I raised the issue here last month

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Attaching-files-to-postings/47869/

and you’ll see that other forum-members sometimes have difficulties too.

Although I also use an iMac and the Safari browser and nowadays hit snags when attempting to attach files to postings, I doubt if the problem relates to Macs or Safari as it’s a recent phenomenon and never used to happen during the last seven years I’ve been accessing these forums via an iMac and Safari.

Currently I am rarely able to attach a file to a posting initially, but I can always do it at the 2nd attempt.

Archived