External Waste Water Tank Heating

potus4388

Hopefully some of you more experienced members, and that is probably everyone! can give me some advice in respect of the above:

My Accordo135 has the winter pack fitted which includes a heater in the waste water tank, when on EHU if the temperature falls to 5C or below, the heater comes on, what I am not clear on however,is if it will work from the leisure battery if not on EHU, can anyone shed light on this please?

Thanks,

John

potus4388 - 2017-11-06 2:52 PM

Hopefully some of you more experienced members, and that is probably everyone! can give me some advice in respect of the above:

My Accordo135 has the winter pack fitted which includes a heater in the waste water tank, when on EHU if the temperature falls to 5C or below, the heater comes on, what I am not clear on however,is if it will work from the leisure battery if not on EHU, can anyone shed light on this please?

Thanks,

John

Don't know but I'm going to disconnect ours when we get home. Can't imagine it ever being needed.

If I find out how it's wired I'll let you know.

potus4388 - 2017-11-06 2:52 PM

My Accordo135 has the winter pack fitted which includes a heater in the waste water tank... what I am not clear on however,is if it will work from the leisure battery if not on EHU

John

In a word No! If it did you would very quickly have a flat battery.

The quick way to prevent a waste tank from freezing is to keep it empty! Place a bucket or bowl under the drain tap and leave the drain tap open. At the worst you then have a large ice cube to get rid of :D

Keith.

lennyhb - 2017-11-06 4:43 PM

Tank heaters are a waste of time IMO. Do the job properly fit an insulated enclosure around the tank leaving an air gap and take a feed from the blow air heating to it, thats how the German manufacturers do it.

That's also how the Adria waste tank heaters work.

Simple mechanical sliding control to increase/decrease the airflow around the tank.

Kept ours operational in down to minus 6 C in Toledo, Spain last winter.

:-D

lennyhb - 2017-11-06 4:43 PM

Tank heaters are a waste of time IMO. Do the job properly fit an insulated enclosure around the tank leaving an air gap and take a feed from the blow air heating to it, thats how the German manufacturers do it.

Not all German manufacturers...

My 2005 Hobby T-600FC motorhome had an uninsulated waste-water tank just to the rear of the cab. The tank had a pair of 12V heating elements that were switched on via a dedicated switch on the CBE PC-100 control-panel. I never used the tank heaters, but if I remember correctly there was an interlock that allowed them to work only when the motorhome was connected to a 230V power source or when the motorhome’s motor was running. Plainly, if the tank can be enclosed and a branch taken from the motorhome’s blown-air heater’s air-trunking, that will be a preferable arrangement - but in many cases this will not be practicable.

This article was really timely for us.

We are buying an Elddis 115 and the dealer is fitting the heaters as we intend to use it throughout winter. I checked with him and they always fit an isolating switch to enable them to be switched off when the water is drained down.

He said they always do this when fitting the tank heaters. This will allow us to charge the leisure battery via the on board charger without any fear of the heaters coming on in an empty tank.

Not sure if this will help our majestic 135 tank heaters work off leasure battery. It was recalled in first year due to battery constantly going flat in winter resulting in damaging the leisure battery cells.the recall was to fit a cut off relay and switch. Which is now fitted as standard on all with tank heaters in the majestic range..

It’s apparent from earlier comments that, when Elddis installed a ‘winter pack’ that included waste-water tank heaters, the heaters were thermostatic-type and automatically operated below a temperature of 5°C.

CAK Tanks market manual and automatic tank-heating elements (automatic version advertised here)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Water-Tank-Heater-Automatic-Defrost-Element-With-Thermostat-Winter-Frost-25C-/282623295655

and have always recommended that an illuminated On/Off switch be installed to confirm when 12V power is being provided to the tank-heater. As these heaters draw around 2.5A, they will rapidly drain a battery that is not being recharged. Hard to understand how Elddis managed to overlook this when the potential consequences had been well recognised for years.

I have now received a reply from Elddis stating that the heater, as Derek said, automatically comes on when on EHU when the temperature drops below 5C

They also said that it will work from the leisure battery in the same way when the tank is full but will not come on if the tank is empty(this was in response to my further query suggesting that if it came on when the tank was empty and is was operating from the leisure battery,it would very quickly drain the battery and cause damage)

At the moment the tank is empty and the van is not on EHU, the solar panel seems still to be doing a good job of keeping both the leisure battery and vehicle battery topped up.

There certainly no isolating switch for the tank heater, so it is a concern, I will have to keep an eye on it.

Thank you all for your comments and advice, I have already learnt a lot from simply reading all the posts and it is heartening to know that so many of you are willing to share your experience and advice for the benefit of new motorhomers-Thank you!

Archived