2008 Fiat X250 - Peculiar dip beam reaction

Willum

Got a strange one.............. unless someone knows about it.

Option 1. Switch ignition on, start engine. All indications OK

Switch on sidelights. All indications OK

Switch on main lights - which always defaulted to dip in the past - dip comes on for a second, or two, then goes off. Sidelights are still OK, main beam operates normally, dip stays out when switched back to it.

No bulb failure warning light at any stage.

Option 2. Switch on ignition, don't start engine. All indications OK.

Switch on side lights. All indications OK.

Switch on main lights. Dip comes on, stays on. Main beam operates OK, dip stays on when selected back to it.

Start engine with dip, or main, on, all continues to work OK. Switch lights off, then on, dip comes back on 50% of the time, main beam operates as normal.

I can hear a relay under the dash binnacle operating when the dip goes off at the wrong time

Que?

I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and let it have a think about itself. Nothing changed

.............. and it's going for a MOT tomorrow............ *-)

Will

Thanks Derek,

I had actually just found that from this post...

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/X250-Engine-earth-fault/21815/91/

where Will ended up changing his engine earth lead.

His Burstner is actually built on a 2008 Ducato X250 Maxi 3.0 litre 160 BHP

The first thing I would check is the engine earth lead again as it may possibly have come loose or ???

Keith.

Dohh!!

Sorry, thought the 2008 Fiat X250 in the thread title would be enough. Yep, as Derek said, Fiat Ducato 3 litre, 2008, lugging a Burstner Argos A748-2 around.

Fairly sure it's not a function of the pesky earth strap again. Every other snag it showed has stayed away since I replaced it.

With hindsight - and further thought - the only other thing I've done is clean up the contacts on an intermittent nearside rear indicator bulb - which is working fine again.

Will.

747Heavy - 2017-11-08 7:46 PM

Dohh!!

Sorry, thought the 2008 Fiat X250 in the thread title would be enough. Yep, as Derek said, Fiat Ducato 3 litre, 2008, lugging a Burstner Argos A748-2 around.

Fairly sure it's not a function of the pesky earth strap again. Every other snag it showed has stayed away since I replaced it.

With hindsight - and further thought - the only other thing I've done is clean up the contacts on an intermittent nearside rear indicator bulb - which is working fine again.

Will.

........... and now I've just re-read everything - without my head on fire - and realised I'd missed out so much from the title that Derek and Keith had to do a bit of detective work and correction of the post title to make it understandable.

Thanks, guys.

Update:

I've had the back covers off the headlamps and remade the contacts for the bulbs.

It did it again twice but has now stopped. It behaved itself perfectly and sailed through the MOT, quoted by the tester as being in 'really good condition'. Phew!!

Apropos of not much else, I'd still like to know if anyone has any ideas. I'd sooner know and cure it than wait in hope...........

Will

Aren't the headlamp bulbs switched by relays mounted on the main fuseboard? (This means I'm speculating!)

Doesn't the dip switch then either a) operate the relay directly or, b) signal one of the on-board computers to do so via the CANBUS.

The way your dips are behaving seems to me to suggest either failing dip switch, a tired relay or, if CANBUS controlled, possibly a problem in the electronics. The first two should be relatively easily resolved, the third - lets hope not! :-D

This may or not apply in your case but I had an odd problem with a Peugeot 206. Over a period of time I got strange things happening when I used the indicator, wiper and lighting stalks which gradually got worse.

It turned out that they are all controlled from one big Printed Circuit Board which was faulty. A complete new one had to be fitted which cost around £240 (6 or 7 years ago). It could be something similar in your case.

Brian Kirby - 2017-11-09 5:46 PM

Aren't the headlamp bulbs switched by relays mounted on the main fuseboard? (This means I'm speculating!)

Doesn't the dip switch then either a) operate the relay directly or, b) signal one of the on-board computers to do so via the CANBUS.

The way your dips are behaving seems to me to suggest either failing dip switch, a tired relay or, if CANBUS controlled, possibly a problem in the electronics. The first two should be relatively easily resolved, the third - lets hope not! :-D

I'm hoping for a worst case of your first option. There is (now, happily, 'was') certainly the sound of a relay 'dropping out' as the dip went off. It came from under the speedo area. I'll have a look to see if I can find a relay in the dash, or a fuse box that fits the bill and check that as well. No harm in reseating a few connections.

I guess there will always be issues with vehicles that sit around for long periods and don't do big mileages. You might not wear the tyres out but electronics never improve from inactivity.

Needless to say, it is currently refusing to repeat the performance.

Will

747 - 2017-11-09 8:10 PM

This may or not apply in your case but I had an odd problem with a Peugeot 206. Over a period of time I got strange things happening when I used the indicator, wiper and lighting stalks which gradually got worse.

It turned out that they are all controlled from one big Printed Circuit Board which was faulty. A complete new one had to be fitted which cost around £240 (6 or 7 years ago). It could be something similar in your case.

...............as per Brian's comment above,

Let's hope not!

Will

There are relays on a Ducato X250’s ‘fuse box’, but I’m not sure if your problem would involve them. Photos in this French link

http://www.aidecampingcar.com/forum1/viewtopic.php?t=57020

(I was surprised when you said that your Ducato’s headlights defaulted to dipped-beam when the headlights were initially turned on, as my Skoda car’s lights don’t do this and I din’t recall any of my previous vehicles doing it either. However, having checked, I’ve found that my 2015 Ducato’s headlights also select dipped-beam when initially switched on, even if they were on main beam when previously switched off. It makes logical sense...)

There is a full description of the headlamp circuit including wiring diagrams, component locations and diagnostic procedures in the eLearn electronic workshop manual for the X250, which as far as I'm aware can still be freely obtained from the internet. The file either has to be burnt to a CD or mounted from as ISO file before it can be run, but is invaluable for anyone with an X250.

Whilst much of it is still useful for the X290, it cannot be relied upon for accuracy with the newer version due to the many and various changes, but gives a good indication of maintenance and repair procedures.

It appears to still be available from the Fiat forum:

https://www.fiatforum.com/downloads.php?do=download&downloadid=381

(The link isn't a direct download, but just takes you to the file location)

Archived