ECU Fault codes

ColinM50

On a few of my previous posts I've mentioned spurious lights coming on and have taken my 2017 Boxer based M/H in to my local dealer for them to plug in their magic machine and reset the ECU.

On another forum someone was discussing ECU computer faults on cars and recommended we should each by our own OBD code reader and pointed to an EBAY seller. It was a ludicrous price, under a tenner inc P&P so i thought it was worth a gamble. It came within 2 weeks from Hong Kong complete with a computer disc (not tried it yet) and a very comprehensive booklet describing how to use the reader and what the code numbers mean. And the book's in English English, not Chinese Engrish

AIUI I think you plug it in to the Data Link Connector behind the blanked off little flap to the right of the steering wheel and then a code comes up on the gizmo and you then to look in the book to find out what that means. So e.g. if the code comes up saying P0345 then the book tells you that means the camshaft position sensor Bank 2 circuit is malfunctioning - whatever that might mean. OK, it doesn't cure the fault but it does tell you what the fault might be so it narrows down your options and where to look. There's 999 different faults it can diagnose. And all this for just a tenner???

Showed it to a mechanic mate of mine and he reckons his 8 yr old Snap On one is a bit, but not a lot, better. But that cost him £500.

TBH I've not actually used it yet, but thought with Christmas coming some of you might like one in your stocking as a surprise? What's more when you open it you can profess all sorts of expertise to the assembled guests and astound them with your technical knowledge. "Ah yes, it's an OBD reader and will allow me to diagnose faults on any car or van". etc. Then lend it to someone who understands these things and get them to give you a quick tutorial

Oh and I bought mine from here but there's loads of different vendors. Google OBD2 reader;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Scanner-Car-Fault-Code-Reader-Diagnostic-Tester-Tool-OBD-2-CAN-BUS-EOBD/302293923574?epid=804820703&hash=item46621f36f6:g:YmEAAOSwV4BZ0jHb

Fair price for what they are, but you should be aware of the limitations. They will only read generic fault codes from the engine ECU. If you have a warning light come up for an airbag or braking fault, for instance, that reader won't help. You need a more comprehensive (expensive!!!) device capable of interrogating the various other ECUs on the vehicle.

Colin et al,

Appreciating that your basic code reader is only a tenner, BUT if you want a really good quality code reader and more importantly scanner then take a look at the Autel MD802...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-MD802-All-System-OBD2-Auto-Diagnostic-Scanner-ABS-SRS-EPB-Code-Reader-Tool/182736479746

I bought one from this very seller and it arrived promptly in a blow moulded case with all the necessary leads and instructions.

The vehicle applicability can be found here (select MD802 in dropdown then 'All systems' for models)...

https://pro.auteltech.com/measurecar-1-1.html?m=4

Here is the Fiat vehicle function list showing which modules (ECU's) it can access...

http://download908bak.auteltech.net:8080/Download/Veh/ELITE/Enhanced/fiat/en_MaxiDiag_E_fiat%20FUNCLIST.pdf

You will see from this that for an X250 it will work for Engine, ABS, Instrument cluster and many, many more ECU's.

AND it will give you the true description of the code in English without having to look it up in a book!

I use mine regularly at work on modern BMW's, Merc's and many other models and find it really good for the price, especially the ability to view live data from sensors and systems (eg wheel speed sensors or accelerator pedal position).

PS Only get the 'All Systems' model and NOT the cheaper '4 Systems' or 'DIY' versions!

Finally, try making an offer through eBay as you may get an extra ten or fifteen pounds off if you are prepared to wait a day or so for an answer (I did!).

Keith.

ColinM50 - 2017-11-24 4:05 PM

AIUI I think you plug it in to the Data Link Connector behind the blanked off little flap to the right of the steering wheel and then a code comes up on the gizmo and you then to look in the book to find out what that means. So e.g. if the code comes up saying P0345 then the book tells you that means the camshaft position sensor Bank 2 circuit is malfunctioning - whatever that might mean. OK, it doesn't cure the fault but it does tell you what the fault might be so it narrows down your options and where to look. There's 999 different faults it can diagnose. And all this for just a tenner???

TBH I've not actually used it yet, but thought with Christmas coming some of you might like one in your stocking as a surprise? What's more when you open it you can profess all sorts of expertise to the assembled guests and astound them with your technical knowledge. "Ah yes, it's an OBD reader and will allow me to diagnose faults on any car or van". etc. Then lend it to someone who understands these things and get them to give you a quick tutorial

Oh and I bought mine from here but there's loads of different vendors. Google OBD2 reader;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Engine-Scanner-Car-Fault-Code-Reader-Diagnostic-Tester-Tool-OBD-2-CAN-BUS-EOBD/302293923574?epid=804820703&hash=item46621f36f6:g:YmEAAOSwV4BZ0jHb

Just tried one of these. Problem is, it won't work with my 2005 Renault Master!

It reads my wifes Nissan car, with no problem, but obviously does NOT read ALL OBD2 compliant vehicles, as the ebay seller claims.

Auditor - 2017-11-28 12:25 PM

Just tried one of these. Problem is, it won't work with my 2005 Renault Master!

It reads my wifes Nissan car, with no problem, but obviously does NOT read ALL OBD2 compliant vehicles, as the ebay seller claims.

The problem here is that Light Commercial Diesels did not have to be OBD2 compliant until something like 2006. Therefore some OBD readers will communicate successfully with some vehicles but not others and it is all really a bit 'Hit and Miss' as to what does work.

Have a look at the applicability of the Autel MD802 I listed above as it does appear to work with a lot of Renault Master ECU's.

Keith.

Edit to add: As an example my 2004 Mercedes Sprinter does not have an OBD2 socket but a Mercedes specific 14 pin round connector!

Has anyone tried one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AUTOOL-Display-Speedometer-Overspeed-Temperature-Black/dp/B071473MG5

on a recent-model Ducato - or any Ducato for that mattter?

If it worked, it should address the difficulty complained about regarding reading the speedometer in poor light conditions, and allow switching between mph and km/h readouts when driving outside the UK. It might also be acceptable when UK-registering an imported LHD motorhome, rather than replacing the original km/h-only speedomete dial (or even the complete instrument cluster).

Archived