Caravan and Motorhome Club arrogance?

Wills Wagon

pepe63 - 2017-12-11 11:12 AM

I'd be impressed if the "Head of Operations" of our local campsite, let alone something the size of the C&MC, found the time to sit down and write a letter each and every time a customer didn't show up...

..are you sure it wasn't just an automatically spat-out notice?.

Either way, I can understand a degree of annoyance but - Quote " . I don't think I have ever been so insulted by such arrogance and insensitivity before." ?... really?...you've been very lucky if that's the worst you've had to deal with. :-D

'Could be worse, you could have lost a deposit ;-)

Absolutly, just stick around on this forum,the Trolls on here are well known and take no prisoners. Not even a small mistake made by a contributor with cancer (not me) will stop them unnecessarily putting the boot in.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
keninpalamos - 2017-12-12 11:26 AM

I'd be impressed if the "Head of Operations" of our local campsite, let alone something the size of the C&MC, found the time to sit down and write a letter each and every time a customer didn't show up...

Either way, I can understand a degree of annoyance but - Quote " . I don't think I have ever been so insulted by such arrogance and insensitivity before." ?... really?...you've been very lucky if that's the worst you've had to deal with. :-D

Absolutly, just stick around on this forum,the Trolls on here are well known and take no prisoners. Not even a small mistake made by a contributor with cancer (not me) will stop them unnecessarily putting the boot in.

You missed a space after your brackets in your post and spelled unnecessarily incorrectly.

Just sayin' ;-)

I'm joking, I'm joking. :D

747 - 2017-12-12 12:58 PM

You missed a space after your brackets in your post and spelled unnecessarily incorrectly.

Just sayin' ;-)

I'm joking, I'm joking. :D

:D :D :D

keninpalamos - 2017-12-12 6:17 PM
747 - 2017-12-12 12:58 PM
pepe63 - 2017-12-11 11:12 AMI'd be impressed if the "Head of Operations" of our local campsite, let alone something the size of the C&MC, found the time to sit down and write a letter each and every time a customer didn't show up.....are you sure it wasn't just an automatically spat-out notice?.Either way, I can understand a degree of annoyance but - Quote " . I don't think I have ever been so insulted by such arrogance and insensitivity before." ?... really?...you've been very lucky if that's the worst you've had to deal with. :-D 'Could be worse, you could have lost a deposit ;-)
You missed a space after your brackets in your post and spelled unnecessarily incorrectly.Just sayin' ;-) I'm joking, I'm joking. :D
:D :D :D

Goodness me .... you're all lightweights! He also spelled "absolutely" incorrectly. He dunnit withowt an e ain't he just?
Tee Hee!

Bak too the caravam club. When we have phoned to book at a site, they ask what time will you arrive. I say to my wife tell them e.g 14 56 and make sure she tells them approximately! Agree with previous comment Aires/wild camping Europe is less stressful.

Happy Xmas every one

Steve Kelly

(what do the red lines under some words mean ?)

stvekay - 2017-12-12 9:56 PM

Bak too the caravam club. When we have phoned to book at a site, they ask what time will you arrive. I say to my wife tell them e.g 14 56 and make sure she tells them approximately! Agree with previous comment Aires/wild camping Europe is less stressful.

Happy Xmas every one

Steve Kelly

(what do the red lines under some words mean ?)

It means you are either Dyslexic or you are not writing in American English. :D

By the way, I don't believe there were Motorhomes, Caravans or CC Sites in 1456. Probably due to the effects of The Black Death. 8-)

A few years ago we witnessed an example of rule bending, at the CC Chedder Gorge site I believe. They have, or had, a strict booking in and out policy due simply because the approach lane is too narrow for passing vans. Notwithstanding, two members tried to get in before time, and coupled with those trying to get out, jammed the lane solid. The real joke was that one of the members at fault then stormed the reception and started slagging the poor warden off as though it was his fault and that he should be sorting it out. Luckily the warden had some backbone and told him to get stuffed. Yes, rules are often made for a purpose.

Ron

Hi,

I was taught to use upper case (capitals) in circumstances where mistakes can be expensive. Even I can't read my hand-writing.

As for shouting, try a couple of months in "Boot Camp", where the Drill Instructer and the Rookie will have a polite conversation, eye-ball to eye-ball, at the top of their voices. "SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!". For the first few days, you shake in your hob-nails, when "Corp" shouts at you, but you soon settle down to examining his teeth for missing fillings, and his tongue for signs of constipation. Character building.

602 (My "last three")

Perhaps Daniel Attwood could be encouraged to extend Moderator privileges to all forum members. Then everybody, rather than argue about other members’ posting idiosyncrasies, could correct spelling and grammatical oversights, edit opinions they disliked and delete postings/threads that offended them.

pepe63 - 2017-12-12 10:20 AM

Re; Arrival times

Whether they be for a "Club" or a Commercial campsite, they would've been set for a reason and not out of spite. ;-)

(possible to ease the movement of units pulling on and off the site at any one time?...that and reception manning levels?) and they would've also been known at the time of booking..

It may well (understandably) seem petty to the individual concerned but if everyone booked for that particular day turned up earlier than expected (and why shouldn't they, you have?), it could be chaotic...

..and unfortunately, people being what they are, if they start letting 'em routinely roll up 1/2hr before "time", it wouldn't be long before some folk pushed it further..

So, if 1/2hr is deemed okay, what should be considered as "too early" ? 35min?.... 45mins?...1hr?... ;-)

I can totally see why sites have a stated time for booking in. The point is simply telling someone that they can't book in early "'cause those are the rules" is officious and bound to alienate customers. If however it is explained to customers as I'm terribly sorry, but we can't book you in before midday because won't have staff available to book you in because it's the only time they can have time to do cleaning and groundwork around the site." they will get more understanding from customers.

The argument I had from the campsite that wanted to charge me £5 for turning up at midday was that in being there longer I would use more 'resources' (water and electricity I presume) and hence would have to pay the extra £5. Really? £5 for 2 hours electricity. What do think I've got in the van!?

So by asking to charge £5 for no more than 2 hours of electricity they've saved perhaps £1 and lost a potential future customer and received a poor review on UK campsites. Only they can decide if it's worth it.

From my experiences, businesses that go that just that little extra mile for customers are often the most successful.

I'd be interested to know how many people actually try to at campsites before midday?

The number of sites has not risen much in the last decade but the number using them has. I think the CMC likes to have consistency across the board and there's not enough space to allow overlap at some locations. Members of current society are constantly pushing the boundaries so we should not be surprised that large organisations will "push back". They feel that they cannot be flexible and the consequence is the treatment now supplied. Fortunately, it's not obligatory to join.

I find it difficult to understand why people find it difficult to avoid arriving early at a site.

Very often, in France, where sites often close the gates for a couple of hours at lunchtime, we find we are ahead of time and just find a convenient stopping place , and have a cup of tea, or an early lunch.

Never seen it as a problem.

:-|

malc d - 2017-12-14 4:14 PM

I find it difficult to understand why people find it difficult to avoid arriving early at a site.

Very often, in France, where sites often close the gates for a couple of hours at lunchtime, we find we are ahead of time and just find a convenient stopping place , and have a cup of tea, or an early lunch.

Never seen it as a problem.

:-|

Hi Malc..

I can see how being able to arrive and pitch up a few hours early can be advantageous on occasions...I just can't understand why anyone would expect to do it for free?... :-S

Derek Uzzell - 2017-12-14 9:11 AM

Perhaps Daniel Attwood could be encouraged to extend Moderator privileges to all forum members. Then everybody, rather than argue about other members’ posting idiosyncrasies, could correct spelling and grammatical oversights, edit opinions they disliked and delete postings/threads that offended them.

There you have it folks - it's official in black and white - Derek does have a sense of humour!!

Those who whinge about the OFFICIOUS ATTITUDE, should calm down and try volunteering for a season, and will soon be aware of the aggravation that some people cause.. Having experienced a summer season working on a site in france, I can sympathise with the site wardens, and the aggravated customers, but we found that an explanation of why the rule exists in person often calms the complainant down.

certainly impersonal letters from a computor could well upset people. It is much better to have an explanation in peron to person situation.. keep calm, relax and enjoy your holiday.

tonyg3nwl

Hi,

We are members of both of the organisations, feeling both have benefit to us. However what I notice is that when people think of motor homing or caravanning they normally think of freedom and relaxation.I am not talking about individual wardens but the rules when I say the C&CC seems run on a more relaxed ,friendly way than the CC. The latter seemingly more fixated on rule obedience. It is as though the CD&CC is the 'working mans' CC.

cheers

derek

I imagine that C&MC wardens receive rigorous instruction and training on the way that their sites should be operated, so what their customers experience is the product of that organisation's desire.

Their sites all seem so familiar, rather like your regular supermarket. Some may think that's a good thing but I'd like to see more variety and individuality. I'd not offer my services as a warden if I felt unnecessarily constrained in what I could do. One site imaginatively invented a two peg system (park anywhere between them but not outside). It did not last long. I assume that HO did not approve.

I have noticed a change in the way that Wardens behave on C&C and CAMC Sites and I suspect that it is down to better training - including "how to deal with stroppy people".  You still get minor variations in the way they play things but gone are the days when the Wardens personality (or his wife's) and whether they are having a good day determines the treatment you get.

Of course you have to accept that if push comes to shove they call the shots and it's no use launching into "I'm a Member of this Club and I insist ...." because their training will have included how to put their foot down politely but firmly when necessary so it won't really get you anywhere to make a fuss.

Site use seems to have changed over the years, but then a site to us was just something we used when needs must and never a destination or place to stay longer term in itself.

In the 'old days' we found a site from various books, club or not, whenever we needed one and simply went there and booked in and paid and if you didn't like the look or feel of it you either only paid for one night or said thanks but no thanks and went to another one.

These days it seems so much more complex but as we were no longer members of either club for many years it mattered not to us, but it always made sense to me to be polite and respect the fact that wardens and staff have many things to do each day and some people would be very quick to complain if the showers were not perfect or the bins too full or the grass too long so we always kinda expected the office to be unmanned and never found it a problem waiting, or being asked by the warden to site ourselves and book in later.

Life ain't perfect so why be surprised when things don't quite go to plan.

StuartO - 2017-12-15 1:06 PM

I have noticed a change in the way that Wardens behave on C&C and CAMC Sites and I suspect that it is down to better training - including "how to deal with stroppy people". 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

malc d :

I just wonder if they have any training in how to deal with those free spirits who turn up without booking..

Is that look of disbelief on their faces real - or are they trained to react like that ?

;-)

Of course it's computer generated. Everyone who cancels without the required notice gets a letter regardless of the reason. Computer says no.

Its not arrogance its letting people know they cant cancel without proper notice. The weather warnings were going on for days before, so you should have cancelled earlier.

Be thankful you haven't been charged like some others do.

The CCC are just as bad, I was booked into the Oxford site and 5 days before we were due to leave I received a message that the sit was closing part of the land due to flooding and we were booked on to it.

I then received a letter stating that I was forfeiting my deposit-IT WAS THEM WHO CANCELLED MY BOOKING!

As it was near to subs renewal I asked if I could use that as part of my fees,I was told quite em[emphatically that it was not possible and furthermore it could only be used on the original site within a certain time. I told them to go forth and multiply some club!!!!

We are not members but customers!

Archived