Critair vignette

Motorman

I have been reading about the critair vignette needed for France, but am having trouble determining what category my vehicle falls into. I have a motorhome on a 2008 Fiat Ducato 2.3 multijet 120 long wheelbase. Any suggestions as to which category applies would be gratefully received.

To identify which ‘sticker’ should be provided, the French Crit’Air scheme uses data relating to a vehicle’s type, fuel, and EITHER its date of first registration OR the Euro emissions ‘norm' shown on the vehicle’s registration document.

A UK-registered motorhome will be treated as a PRIVATE CAR, and as it’s unlikely that a ‘Euro norm' emissions value will appear on the vehicle’s V5C document, it’s the type or fuel and the date of first registration that will be the deciding factors governing which sticker will be awarded.

For diesel-fuelled motorhomes (ie. the majority) if the date of first UK registration is

- 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2000 ... STICKER NUMBER 5 (Grey)

- 1 January 2001 to 31 December 2005 ... STICKER NUMBER 4 (Brownish)

- 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010 ... STICKER NUMBER 3 (Orange)

- From 1 January 2011 onwards ............... STICKER NUMBER 2 (Yellow)

There’s a comprehensive table here

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/the-french-vignette-critair/who-will-get-which-critair-colours.html

A Crit’Air ‘sticker’ will not be issued for a private car (eg.a motorhome) if its date of first registration is prior to 1 January 1997.

If you applied for a sticker for your 1994-registered motorhome, when you input its 1994 registration-date into the on-line application form the following error message would appear

"Your vehicle does not meet the criteria for an air quality certificate. The date of registration certificate must be greater than 1 January 1997.”

So no point in trying to apply for a sticker as you can’t have one.

Yes other countries have or are bringing in emission zones which require vignettes, in most cases these appear at moment (as the french one) to be for city centres, so it is debatable if the average motorhomer would need one, I'm trying to make sense of Belgian, Dutch, and German ones at moment, to see if we need to bother with them.

Motorman - 2018-01-24 11:10 AM

Thanks to all for the advice. Are there any such air quality vignette requirements for other European countries?

Information can be found on the following link relating to European environmental zones that involve vehicle ‘stickers’.

https://www.green-zones.eu/en/

Each scheme has its own rules and stickers - hardly surprising when different European countries have different languages and motoring laws.

michaelmorris - 2018-01-25 6:17 AMSo would I be correct in my assumption that I'll only be required to have a Critair sticker if I am planning to take our motorhome into Paris, Lyon or Grenoble?

No, that's no longer the case.  The French Government have delegated to triggering of environmental restrictions to Departments, so that Prefectures can declare an environmental restriction requiring vehciles to have stickers or stay away - and furthermore this can apply to whole Departments, not just cities, which is why I decided to apply for one.

These Department-wide restrictions are only invoked as and when the environmental conditions (in the opinion of the Prefect) require it, i.e. if weather or whatever conditions cause a build up of nasty particles.  Most of the time they probably won't apply and your transit through the Department would not be impeded - but the Prefect could decide that on the following day they will!

Quite how the motoring public will discover that the restriction has been invoked is not yet clear but a CritAir sticker is cheap and it's a one-off charge so as long as your MH was first registered after 1997 it makes sense to apply for one.

StuartO - 2018-01-24 3:44 PM
michaelmorris - 2018-01-25 6:17 AMSo would I be correct in my assumption that I'll only be required to have a Critair sticker if I am planning to take our motorhome into Paris, Lyon or Grenoble?

No, that's no longer the case.  The French Government have delegated to triggering of environmental restrictions to Departments, so that Prefectures can declare an environmental restriction requiring vehciles to have stickers or stay away - and furthermore this can apply to whole Departments, not just cities, which is why I decided to apply for one.

These Department-wide restrictions are only invoked as and when the environmental conditions (in the opinion of the Prefect) require it, i.e. if weather or whatever conditions cause a build up of nasty particles.  Most of the time they probably won't apply and your transit through the Department would not be impeded - but the Prefect could decide that on the following day they will!

Quite how the motoring public will discover that the restriction has been invoked is not yet clear but a CritAir sticker is cheap and it's a one-off charge so as long as your MH was first registered after 1997 it makes sense to apply for one.

Thanks

Derek Uzzell - 2018-01-24 8:19 AM

A Crit’Air ‘sticker’ will not be issued for a private car (eg.a motorhome) if its date of first registration is prior to 1 January 1997.

If you applied for a sticker for your 1994-registered motorhome, when you input its 1994 registration-date into the on-line application form the following error message would appear

"Your vehicle does not meet the criteria for an air quality certificate. The date of registration certificate must be greater than 1 January 1997.”

So no point in trying to apply for a sticker as you can’t have one.

Thanks Derek, that's what i thought. What threw me was the picture of the sticker with the cross through it.

Will have to wait six years now until the van becomes classed has an Historic Vehicle, although it feels like that now sometimes. ;-)

Dave

Motorman - 2018-01-23 12:08 PM

I have been reading about the critair vignette needed for France, but am having trouble determining what category my vehicle falls into. I have a motorhome on a 2008 Fiat Ducato 2.3 multijet 120 long wheelbase. Any suggestions as to which category applies would be gratefully received.

hi,

I think you should find this info on your v5 doc.

cheers

derek

Brambles - 2018-01-25 3:53 PM

Oops! I stuck mine lower left below German Umweltzone sticker to be out of drivers vision.

Never mind, I'm sure the friendly, easy-going Gendarme won't mind at all and will cut you some slack :-D

On the Ducato/Boxer there's enough space in the lower RH corner to get it outside of the 290mm 'Zone A' and below the swept area - so not a problem at MOT tests.

Archived