upholstery

van640

Seek Advice, Have a 1999 swift kon-tiki 640 and want to have new upholstery at a cost of 2,400, I am wondering if the is the right thing as it is getting on a bit now and I am hoping to change it this year some time.

It is in good condition with 41,000 miles but undecided what to do, any advice.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,

If you are definitely going to change it this year then I would hold off as prospective buyers might wonder why you are selling it so soon after getting it re-upholstered and your choice of fabrics may not be to their liking.

Whereas if you are going to keep it for a year or so then I would say go ahead and get it done.

My views, others may vary.

PS We had our AT re-upholstered almost five years ago and are really glad we did and very pleased with the results.

Keith.

If I were going to spend £2400 on upholstery I'd rather reduce the sale price. As already mentioned, your taste might not be the new buyers and a new purchaser might quite like the chance to make their own stamp on it choosing their own fabrics etc. I'd also be keen to take it to a professional trimmer and ask them what they can do to get rid of the shabbiness. BTW I'm surprised that new upholstery is that much. How many quotes have you had?

About four years ago I decided to sell my Jag XKR. it had a bit of a steering wobble over 90 so I had all new bushes and some other work done on the suspension at a cost of £1600. Didn't get a penny more than the market price that I'd have got without doing the repair.

Don't spend the money on something you won't recoup.

Guest pelmetman

Just had a quote here in Spain to reupholster Horace......1270 euros B-) .......

The fabrics itself costs less than I'd pay trade for in the UK 8-) .......

Hi, perhaps a little bit too far for you but we had our motorhome re-upholstered by Foam Furnishings of Stoke on Trent. They have a web site www.foamfurnishings.co.uk. They made a brilliant job and were a £1000 (yes one thousand pounds) cheaper than other quotes we got. Our motorhome (Swift Kontiki) is shown in the second photo from the left on the web site. Plenty of fabrics to choose from. It is a small company, and what we did was to take the removable cushions up first and then took the vehicle up by appointment to have the fixed panels and trim done. This took a few hours but you are not far away from the shopping centre at Hanley and there is a large retail park across the road from the workshop. Additional rolls on the cushions to stop my wife rolling out of bed, were installed at the same time. Give them a ring and explain what you want, you will speak to the man who does the work and he is most obliging.

Hi The above post is a copy of a post I left sometime ago on this subject.

You are not too far away in Stoke so may be worth a ride

Archived