route Calais to lake garda?

ham

Any suggestion on a route to lake Garda . we are thinking of going the last week of My and have 6 weeks so no rush. I have a couple of routes in mind . but did remember a route put on here so years ago about which route was best down lake Garda from Austria

I guess it really depends on what you are prepared to do?

If you are happy with stunning mountain passes then there are a range of options from Switzerland including the Splugen & Albula and  Stelvio passes via Chur. Some of these passes are thin but quite navigable if you have a head for heights. They are not however quick, but the scenery is spectacular!

If not, then through Germany & Austria to the Brenner pass, or through France & Chamonix Mont Blanc tunnel or further south to Frejus or Mont Cenis.

Thanks Jeremy. We have been down to Italy before usually from Switzerland. My Wife as suggested maybe Via Austria . However having been to Austria many years ago It is a route I am looking at. Taking into account end of May early June some passes may not be open. Only thing for sure is Shuttle is booked.

I've done this a few times and we settled for motorways through Belgium, Luxemburg and Germany, then Austria (staying off motorways) to get the Resia Pass, which is easy, then non-motorway roads down through Italy to Lake Garda.  We stopped overnight at the Stelplatz at Mettlach just into Germany (not far from the motorway) then another Stelplatz somewhere, then just into Italy on the SS40 at Camping Malles Venosta, where there are amazing mountain views.  We have done Malles to Mettlach in one day but it was quite a long drive.

Most of the campsites near Lake Garda are either big resort sites or small terraced sites in relatively isolated positions but two sites I can recommend: Camping Sirmione at the South end of the lake (fairly easy walk into the lovely old town) and Villagio Turistico Priori in Malcesine, which is a small and fairly cramped site but located right on the edge of the medieval town, so a short stroll to everything you could need. (Phone number is +39 045 7400504, proprietor is Antonio Priori, ring ahead to ensure there is space.)

Used to do this once a month for work so speed was the issue. Calais to Reims to Metz to Strasbourg. Then Basel, Lugano and on to Garda or Como. Overall 600 ish miles and a good day's drive. Better if you can share the driving

Good detour is to Lake Varese where my client was based.

Look at Calais - Dunkirk - Lille- Namur - Luxembourg - Metz - Strasbourg - Offenburg - Rottweil - Biberach-an-der-Riss - Memmingen - Fussen - Reutte - Biberwier - Landeck- Pfunds - Resia - Merano - Bolzano - Trento. From Trento to wherever on Garda you have chosen. Where you stop depends on how long per day you want to drive, and whether you want sites of aires/stells/sostas. Can suggest a few good sites near interesting towns if you like, if you say where you'd expect to be overnighting.

I love the drive over the Alpine passes, so far only by car. In addition to those suggested by Jeremy I could add the Grimselpass up from Interlaken. I think there is an aire near the dam wall on the Totensee that offers superb views. If you take it easy the passes are fantastic to drive and I have seen motorhomes on all that I have driven. For me this year Stelvio in June. Enjoy the journey whichever route you take. Cheers,

Thanks every one. we are in no rush so maybe 4 hours driving each day or if we find somewhere on route that looks interesting will spend a day there We have been down to Fussen 2 years ago so may combine suggestions Thanks again

vindiboy - 2018-02-10 10:42 AM

We went via Annecy France to the Mont blanc tunnel , Aosta, Italy Milan  then Lake Garda, great trip, then on to Venice and then a ferry to Greece,

We did same route Mont Blanc tunnel still €58 one way and its part of French LEZ . But if it's open when you go Mont Cenis is a nice pass into Italy with plenty of parking along the lake, Easy motorway drive to Lake Garda or possible to do Venice

Keep em coming..........

We to are having a leisurely drive to Italy in June and returning early July so plenty of interest in this thread.

Recently purchased 2016/17 Aree Di Sosta (special offer) and Marco Polo map from Vicarious Media. I'm sure the Aree Di Sosta will be useful even if it is in Italian. Already have the French Aires guide which we used the last two years visiting France.

As well as the Lakes hoping to visit the Festa of Italian .... "Nothing but British"..... enthusiasts weekend, riding, drinking and eating around the Liguria area mostly on Motorbikes. Undecided whether/what bike to take as yet.

Might see you there Phil.

Lance

B-)

Archived