Full timing in Europe, any advice welcome

Daf Murray

A word of caution about over cab beds / Luton storage, if condensation is going to form in your van it is likely to form in the overcab bed as that is usually a cold spot ,especially if the area is curtained off, I have seen vans with a lot of damp in the luton and wet beds and wet stuff stored up there, vans are insulated but condensation can still form, so keep an eye on things up there. 8-)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vindiboy - 2018-02-26 10:33 AM

A word of caution about over cab beds / Luton storage, if condensation is going to form in your van it is likely to form in the overcab bed as that is usually a cold spot ,especially if the area is curtained off, I have seen vans with a lot of damp in the luton and wet beds and wet stuff stored up there, vans are insulated but condensation can still form, so keep an eye on things up there. 8-)

Cheers Vindiboy, I plan to sleep up there rather than use it for storage, I think climbing a ladder will be less flaff than converting chairs into a bed every night, ill keep an eye on the condensation.

Does anyone use a small non electric dehumidifier? Or will they do nothing as its sporadic rather than as constant gathering of moisture?

I had a Euro Mobil van at one time and we slept in the overcab bed in that , we had condensation on the ceiling of the overcab as our breath caused it, { and we were hot stuff in those days hee hee ] best remedy of course is ventilation , moist air condensates on cold surfaces, not a problem if one is aware of it and keeps things as dry as possible, we have a fixed bed in our now van and that is great, no faffing about making beds , always ready to jump into, we use duvets , one to sleep on and another as cover, we also have a sheepskin mattress cover too so real snug especially with a hot water bottle too.

Daf Murray - 2018-02-26 10:39 AM

...Does anyone use a small non electric dehumidifier? Or will they do nothing as its sporadic rather than as constant gathering of moisture?

Do you mean this sort of thing?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kampa-Buster-Caravan-Motorhome-Moisture/dp/B002PCTXOK?tag=dehumid04-21

The crystals will undeniably absorb moisture from the air, but I’m unconvinced that it would be worth you bothering with this type of product while you are travelling.

If I were on my own and owned a 746 I’d probably use a sleeping-bag and sleep on one of the side-settees of the rear U-lounge rather than in the over-cab bed - but I wouldn’t have doggy companions to share the living space with.

Negotiating a near-vertical cold metal ladder in bare feet may discourage you from the overcab-bed option. You might want to consider increasing comfort by ‘padding’ the ladder’s rungs with (say) domestic water-pipe foam insulation.

Daf Murray,

I cannot offer advice on your camping with dogs proposal but nevertheless an interesting enterprise. My spell of solitary time away totalling 6 months was in Australia. It was perfect ... but ... everything at home was as normal, and with no travelling dogs and no clutter. 2 dogs will produce pints of moisture and trying to removing it with a small dehumidifier will be nigh impossible and highly expensive.

Your intention to travel widely from day one seems excessive, a trial of one month just 10 miles inland from Calais should provide all your answers before extensive journey's are planned and a chance to prove this is really the 'way of life' you thought it would be. Cast yourself 10 years ahead and keep asking questions. I do this all the time and it does simplify life.

PS a wooden ladder was available in the Rapido but very quickly resigned to garden shed.

• 1 year later...

Archived