Full timing in Europe, any advice welcome

Daf Murray

Daf Murray - 2018-02-14 9:17 PM

Had a little bit of an issue today, the van was sold to me as a 5 seatbelt 3500kg vehicle, the V5 says the gross weight is 3500kg. perfect for my licence that does not have the c1 catagory.

Hidden behind the seat cushion ive just found a 6th seatbelt meaning this is in fact a 3650kg model that has been plated wrong, the dealer has said its not a problem as the paperwork and plate is for 3500kg

Could this turn messy if anything happens such as an accident? or does the V5 stating 3500kg cover me?

nothings ever simple 8-)

Daf,

What figure is on the VIN plate? It should be on the side of the drivers seat base or in the drivers door opening, or possibly on the bonnet slam panel.

If that says 3,500 kg then you're OK. if it says 3,650 kg then it will need replating!

As a slight aside, having the extra seat belt MAY mean the base vehicle is heavier than originally quoted so I think it prudent to visit a weighbridge asap to check what payload you actually have!

Keith.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s a “What Motorhome” review of a Rollerteam 746 here

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/motorhomes/reviews/motorhomes/details/motorhome-review-roller-team-auto-roller-746/942008

Your 746 will have been built on a standard Fiat Ducato Euro 6 ‘light’ camping-car chassis, and this chassis has a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of 3650kg.

Under the bonnet at the front of the engine compartment will be a ‘data plate’ headed Fiat Group Automobiles S.P.A. This plate will list four weights

3650kg (the MAM)

6150kg (the maximum ’train' weight)

1850kg (the maximum front-axle weight)

2000kg (the maximum rear-axle weight)

(See attached photo)

Because your vehicle was constructed in two stages - with Fiat building the ‘chassis’ and Rollerteam carrying out the motorhome conversion - there will be a second data-plate relating to the Rollerteam conversion stage. (On my Rapido motorhome the 2nd data-plate is alongside the Fiat plate.) I don’t know how the RollerTeam plate will be headed, but it should be obvious what it is. That Rollerteam plate will have the same format as the Fiat plate with a list of four weights providing similar information (I have attached a photo of a Rapido data-plate purely as an example).

It is the topmost value on the Rollerteam data-plate that will define whether your 746 motorhome retains the original MAM of 3650kg or whether Rollerteam has ‘downrated’ the original MAM to 3500kg. (My Rapido’s original Fiat 3650kg MAM has been downrated to 3500kg.)

As Keithl has emphasised, it is the MAM figure (3500kg or 3650kg) on the Rollerteam data-plate that is crucial. And - if your motorhome’s V5C records a 3500kg figure (and the vehicle has been UK-registered in the Private/LightGoods category) - the Rollerteam data-plate will almost certainly show 3500kg.

Forget the fact that your motorhome has 6 seat-belts. It’s quite likely that, when a Rollerteam 746 is marketed in the UK, the motorhome is always fitted with 6 seat-belts irrespective of whether the MAM is 3650kg or 3500kg. In certain countries (eg. France) where the number of passengers that can legitimately be carried is proportional to the designated payload, it’s possible that only 5 seat-belts are fitted when the MAM is 3500kg - but the UK does not have such regulations.

852118190_FiatVINplate.jpg.6237f5a9f84791ede1ed37179e4ccfb0.jpg

599724096_Rapidoplate.jpg.40de82f179aba02d38a2e0183482c4b3.jpg

Thanks Snowie Keith and Derek for the info regarding the weight, crisis averted the plate matches the V5 at 3500kg, the extra seatbelt does mean ive lost around 100kg of storage, they say they compensate by replacing both water tanks with slightly smaller ones but the base vehicle is still heavier. Ill fill her up and visit a weigh bridge to see just how much stuff I can take!

https://tinyurl.com/ybukgd6n

Have you thought about extra security on your van, I have fitted these exterior door locks to  the habitation door of my van and all the exterior lockers, they do the job , I have also fitted interior dead locks [ key locking ] to my cab doors ,van is fully alarmed as well, particularly  for night time sleeping wild, when the interior sensors are turned off but the exterior is fully alarmed. Every little helps but  I doubt one can keep a determined thief out. 
   Also think about a  small safe , hidden in the van as far as is possible, to secure passports credit cards ,money, lap top, etc all easily portable stuff, do not make the safe too inaccessible or  the tendency will be not to bother using it, make sure the safe is securely bolted down too. 

You will hear tales of folks being gassed whilst sleeping in their vans by someone pumping narcotic gas  into the van through the vents, then entering the van whilst the occupants are knocked out and robbing them. I would say that 99% of us do NOT believe this myth , most I think believe, [me particularly ] that folks  drive to long, sink a bottle of wine or two before  going to bed and then sleep the sleep of the dead, forgetting to lock doors and windows and leaving  goodies on display for the thief to take, you must of course make your own mind up about this.  There is evidence however of distraction thefts from vans where more than on person is involved , one keeps you talking  outside your van after flagging you down , whilst another nips into the van and steals whatever is quick and easy and valuable ,iphone camera etc, some folks have a tyre punctured  at traffic lights by someone on a scooter and then when the tyre is flat further down the road hey presto they are there to offer assistance , whilst another individual robs the van, all this HAS happened so be aware , always lock your doors especially when getting fuel  etc in garages or exiting your van to speak to someone, be aware, trust no one is the key but do not be paranoid about these things, forewarned is forearmed in my book.

cheers for the link, the van is having all the electrical work done next week this includes an alarm and a tracker, its booked in the week after to have an awning and the grab rail lock on the main habitation door fitted, i have been looking at the window latch security that they sell on the vicarious site (saw them whilst buying Aire books). I hadn’t considered security (other than the alarm) on the 2 garage doors or extra security on the main cab. Ill get something ordered this week so they can be fitted at the same time.

Are the interior cab deadlocks you have the type that you twist over the door then lock?

Ive been looking at safes and potential places for it to go, the van has a rear u shaped lounge, I was thinking of putting it in 1 of the storage compartments back there as the front of the seat has an access door. Other than that I’m limited to the main cupboard which wouldn’t be well hidden or very secure.

ill always remember my Dad telling me when I was growing up, if you have a problem and you can fix it its not a problem, fix it, if you have a problem and can’t fix it then what are you worrying for it can’t be fixed! I transfer that ethos to pretty much everything in life, ill do my darnedest to stay secure, ill put in whatever security I can and always try to be on guard, but if it happens it happens I will of done all that I can to prevent it.

https://tinyurl.com/ydfbbbdd

I fitted Heosafe deadlocks to my cab doors, easy fit ,just remove the door trim panel place the locks in position and replace the door trim, the locks use the same holes as the trim fixing so a quick and easy  fix, We lock the heosafe lock before leaving the van as they cannot be locked or unlocked from outside, my van is a Fiat  but these locks are available for other vehicles, plenty of deadlocks available but most are NOT key locked so are NOT dead locks as these are. I got my locks second hand from Wildcamping  on the items for sale page and paid only £50 for the pair.      note the locks shown on the link are not key lockable  but are the same as mine except mine are lockable with key  .  WHOOPS just noticed that one of the locks  pictured is in fact key lockable  as mine are .

vindiboy

The link you provided is to HEOSafe locks for a Ducato X244 (2002-2006), whereas Daf’s Rollerteam motorhome is built on the current Ducato X290 chassis. The HEOSafe cab deadlocks for Ducato X290s are advertised with installation photos here:

http://www.campervanstuff.com/shop_stuff/index.php?mod=product&id_prd=1385

However, many recent Ducatos have Remis concertina blinds on their cab windows and, if these blinds are present, surgery on the blinds’ trim will be required to fit these locks. (see thumbnail photos 6 & 7 on link below)

http://www.otoparts.nl/webshop/index.php?item=safetypack_-1x-cab-lock-_-1x-twist-lock--_set_&action=article&aid=88429&lang=en

(Not sure if you are aware of this, but your last two postings have the text in a peculiar bold font and neither of the links were immediately operable (or they weren’t until I hacked at them).

A general caveat for anyone owning a right-hand-drive motorhome and planning to spend a lot of time outside the UK.

It used to be the case that the majority of ‘metal frame’ windscreen wipers were ambidextrous and the blades fitted to RHD and LHD vehicles had the same design, but that’s no longer true. If you have (say) a RHD post-2006 Ducato X250/X290, the aerodynamic profile of its modern ‘flat’ wiper blades will have been designed specifically for the RHD wiper pattern (and vice versa for LHD Ducato X250/X290s).

In the UK there should be no difficulty obtaining suitable ‘flat’ wiper blades for RHD vehicles, but finding a blade with the correct profile when abroad will be far more difficult.

Just a couple of points on the alarm , you might already got these covered .

Cat 1 alarm ,ensure the remote being supplied has a Panic Button because you can alarm it at night setting cover for the exterior openings ,doors lockers , deleting the interior PIR ,so you can move around inside .

Have the flashing LED active light installed in a place where it can be seen outside when all the blinds are closed .

PS should have said ,the panic button can be use if necessary to trigger the alarm as peace of mind when you are on your own , flashing lights and noise.....they will not like that !

Thanks Vindiboy and Derek, my van hasn’t got the concertina blinds, they are listed as fitted as standard on the brochure but are missing for my van, I have the standard stick on silver ones, I’ve asked the dealer to supply and fit the locks when they are doing the awning etc, no risk of me getting the wrong ones! :-D

Has anyone added a cab separation curtain? Im thinking of adding one but can’t see any online, not even a picture of one, im also unsure how it would install as the bed lifts up leaving a curved trim, I know its an add on that roller team offer so it must be doable.

Daf Murray - 2018-02-16 9:01 PMHas anyone added a cab separation curtain? Im thinking of adding one but can’t see any online, not even a picture of one, im also unsure how it would install as the bed lifts up leaving a curved trim, I know its an add on that roller team offer so it must be doable.

Yes I have, but it's a home made installation.
I made up the floor length curtains and they hang just behind the cab seats, are joined with a couple of sewn in velcro strips. I simply suspended the curtains from some old fibreglass slot together igloo type tent poles which I cut to fit and they simply sit on top of the side storage cupboards in special brackets I made. (I was lucky that the cupboard geometry allowed me to do this) A small cup hook screwed into the roof lining gives support in the middle of the pole.

We already had cab curtains round the windows which stowed by the door pillars using curtain ties with poppers, so the new curtains stow in the same ties. 

They really make a HUGE difference to the cab temperature - which was really very chilly before & of course when it's hot and the aircon is on it keeps the cool air in the cab area.

I believe a cab separation curtain and cab-window concertina blinds are both extra-cost options for the Rollerteam 746 model.

There are several YouTube video-clips relsating to the 746 model (including this long one)

but I don’t know if any show the factory-fitted cab separation curtain.

I think the 746’s cab is not intended to be used as an extension of the habitation area - there is, after all, the rear U-shaped seating area for lounging in - so it would make good sense to curtain off the cab at night as this would improve heat retention in the living area.

You might try asking your Rollerteam dealer what the factory option involves, but it should be straightforward enough to rig up something. It may depend on how you plan to use the overcab bed as, if you are going to lower it down to sleep in, you could attach the curtain to the bed once it’s in the lowered position using (say) press-studs.

Thanks Laimeduck and Derek

Its that video that made me pick the van! My local dealer doesn’t seem to be interested in supplying me with any of the extras, ive asked them for the carpets and the separation curtain, he says as the vans built he can’t get them, I contacted Roller team direct who just tell me to see my local dealer, ill try ringing a few other dealers after that I think ill follow Laimeducks lead and make some of my own.

Keithl - 2018-02-17 10:15 PM

Daf,

Have a look at this post over on the Sprinter Source Forum for a good idea using an Ikea curtain rail and Command hooks...

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=627874&postcount=3155

Keith.

Thanks Keith, Really simple yet effective! If I have no joy with another dealer I think this is the way to go.

With me planning to be in Europe for years does anyone have any recommendations what to do in regards to money? Do I open a bank in France or any another country and change say £10k into euros in one go to avoid a rubbish currency exchange rate every time I use my Lloyds bank card or is it easier to deal with cash?

Daf Murray - 2018-02-17 10:36 PM

With me planning to be in Europe for years does anyone have any recommendations what to do in regards to money? Do I open a bank in France or any another country and change say £10k into euros in one go to avoid a rubbish currency exchange rate every time I use my Lloyds bank card or is it easier to deal with cash?

You will have to have a permanent address in France , and any other country, to open a bank account

You appear to be making yourself homeless, and I wonder just how far you have thought this through?

You will have to come back to UK for MOT test when van is 3 years old , in order to keep it legal.Do you have health insurance?, as you will no longer be on Doctors list in UK.

Please don't take offence, but maybe you are still grieving your sad loss of your wife. You are a VERY young man, with years ahead of you,.You will not be contributing to your state pension, so may not be entitled to one/ (mind you by the time you reach that age, there may not be one) Have you consulted any one? A solicitor perhaps ? Talked all the pros and cons over with others? It will not be the bed of roses that you believe it to be.

As i said Please don't take offence, just my motherly instinct and concern , for what you are planning

PJay

PJay - 2018-02-18 8:56 AM

You will have to have a permanent address in France , and any other country, to open a bank account

You appear to be making yourself homeless, and I wonder just how far you have thought this through?

You will have to come back to UK for MOT test when van is 3 years old , in order to keep it legal.Do you have health insurance?, as you will no longer be on Doctors list in UK.

Please don't take offence, but maybe you are still grieving your sad loss of your wife. You are a VERY young man, with years ahead of you,.You will not be contributing to your state pension, so may not be entitled to one/ (mind you by the time you reach that age, there may not be one) Have you consulted any one? A solicitor perhaps ? Talked all the pros and cons over with others? It will not be the bed of roses that you believe it to be.

As i said Please don't take offence, just my motherly instinct and concern , for what you are planning

PJay

Hi PJay, thanks for your concern, Im in a very strange place in life, (please don’t think I’m after sympathy, just sharing my story as to why I’m doing this) I am from a family of 6, my dad passed away at 47 from a heart defect when I was 23, shortly after my 16 year old brother died from the same defect, my mother at 49 then committed suicide as she struggled to cope, myself and my 2 remaining brothers had a few years reprieve but sadly my eldest brother passed away at 37 from the same heart defect and my last brother shortly afterwards died from a heroin overdose at 34. During all this I was put under the care of a geneticist who spent over a year seeing me regularly and looking over my families medical records, unfortunately they could not say whether or not I had the defect, they did however detect some anomalies hence my medication, life rumbled on for a few years, my wife started fostering, she stayed at home and looked after the children whilst I was a senior manager for Royal Mail, during our early lives we had made some wise property investments so we were financially sound and life was starting to look and feel good again, then in 2015 my wife got the flu, this attacked the heart (the bloody heart again!) causing Cardio myopathy, this caused a whole raft of other health issues and sadly they claimed her life on 12/12/16 at 42. As my wife was the foster carer and I was her support I had not had the same level of training she had and was not allowed to care for the children long term, the local authority collected the children from the hospital waiting room whilst I was holding her hand. I did see them regularly for a short period until they were found new homes considerable distances away. So over a period of 10 years I lost everything I ever loved or cared about but was left with a property portfolio (my retirement fund if I get to retirement) and time. I’ve spent the last year renovating and selling or properties. It’s kept me distracted but it didn’t stop me from dreaming, the dreams turned into a goal.

We always loved travel, particularly Europe and had vowed we would do what I am planning right now, the only thing that’s changed is I’m now flying solo.

Britline offer French accounts to anyone from the uk, France or Ireland, as long as you can demonstrate your intentions to purchase a property in France or visit France frequently.

My friend has allowed me to use his address to register for everything (the vehicle, GP, to vote, Insurances etc).

I’m under no illusions, this isn’t a holiday, it’s me finding out who I am now in this chapter of my life, I may fall in love with a country and never leave, who knows, one step at a time.

Again thank you for your concern, this is a lovely community

Wow, you sure have had some bad luck, hope things get better from here on, as for money whilst travelling, this is what I do, I bank with Nationwide, I have a Nationwide debit card for UK use and a Nationwide Credit card for foreign use, no charges on the credit card for use in Europe except cash withdrawals from ATM s , The Nationwide Credit card is paid in full each month from my account so no interest to pay, I take a few Euros with me on my travels so all cheap enough I think, there are lots of other ways to manage finances whilst travelling but I like my system as it is simple, and I like things simple.

Another way to get cash and buy things without the need for a foreign bank account - apply for a cash card in Euros.

I use FairFx. You can load the card with Euros from your UK bank account online and generally the rate is very good.
You can use the card in 2 ways
A) Withdraw cash from a machine. cost €1.50 per withdrawl - so best to get out a fair amount of cash in one hit.

B) Use the card to buy things - it's a Mastercard. There is no charge for this.

You can top up your card at any time of day or night as long as you have WiFi.
So simple and no need for a foreign bank account.
A similar card is the Caxton card.

Jeremy

Archived