Buying a used motor home from abroad

Tr4ns1t

I am thinking of buying a used lhd motor home from Germany or Belgium(as it costs considerably less)bringing it back to the uk and filling it up with my belongings then adventuring Europe for at least a year,I am concerned about best way 2 insure it,and any other issues that might be of interest to me and my family,any help would be great please.

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum,

If you haven't already I would suggest reading all the way through this recent thread as it contains most of the information you require...

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Full-timing-in-Europe-any-advice-welcome/48697/

Any other specific questions just come back and ask.

Keith.

Tr4ns1t - 2018-02-20 5:37 PM

I am thinking of buying a used lhd motor home from Germany or Belgium(as it costs considerably less)bringing it back to the uk and filling it up with my belongings then adventuring Europe for at least a year,I am concerned about best way 2 insure it,and any other issues that might be of interest to me and my family,any help would be great please.

When you say “...I am concerned about best way 2 insure it...” are you referring to insuring the motorhome from the moment you purchased it abroad (which would present potential problems) or after the motorhome will have been UK-registered and you go off abroad for at least a year?

The link Keith provided above will definitely help when a long stay abroad in a motorhome is being contemplated, but Daf Murray (whose open-ended trip abroad is discussed in that forum thread) has purchased his motorhome in the UK, so buying a motorhome abroad and the motor insurance implications of doing this were not mentioned.

Archived