Additive for fresh water tank prevent frezzing

jazzivano

On a more serious note, I honestly can't think of anything that would fit ALL the proposed uses.

Loo flushing - Theoretically you could flush a loo with pretty much any liquid

Washing up - you could add detergent to the water?

Showering - this should really be of a 'potable' standard - i.e. safe to drink

aandy - 2018-02-21 1:18 PM

http://www.elsan.co.uk/anti-freeze.aspx

But that is only for storage, you cannot use the water system until you have flushed all the anti-freeze out!

The OP wanted something to add to the water and carry on using the system. Unfortunately in well over thirty years camping and MH'ing I have never come across such a product.

Keith.

Hi,

I have never heard of a product that you could in theory drink - and that would stop your tank freezing, such that it would lower the freezing point of water. Plenty that would do one, or other, but never both.

All Anti-freeze products would do you a power of no good, looking at the ingredients, possibly even be fatal if ingested. Wasn't it Russian pilots who died, after drinking their aircraft's anti-freeze? Nice pint of OAT coolant anyone?.

Approx 40 years ago I was fitting hot water solar panels. At that time we had to fill them with potable anti-freeze, which was bought from plunbers merchants for use in solar systems, as it was possible , if something went wrong with the system, for the solar water to mix with the hot water for the house. Whether this is still available or up to today's standards I do not know but it was definitely sold as potable anti-freeze.

DonB - 2018-02-21 3:16 PM

Approx 40 years ago I was fitting hot water solar panels. At that time we had to fill them with potable anti-freeze, which was bought from plumbers merchants for use in solar systems, as it was possible , if something went wrong with the system, for the solar water to mix with the hot water for the house. Whether this is still available or up to today's standards I do not know but it was definitely sold as potable anti-freeze.

Don,

'Potable' means that consuming small quantities will not cause you undue harm, it DOES NOT mean you can drink it in any quantity.

All the MH/RV winterising anti-freezes I have come across must be thoroughly flushed from the system before the system is refilled with fresh water for consumption.

Keith.

Keith, In my experience as a plumber potable in the water industry meant suitable for the pot i.e. cooking which meant it was safer than drinking water which was not necesasarily used for cooking. Looks like we have conflicting definitions.

Don,

I would tend to agree that 'Potable water' means it is drinkable but unfortunately when referring to MH/RV anti-freeze the term seems to have been corrupted.

have a look at this ad for 'FreezeBan' Non Toxic Anti freeze...

https://www.force4.co.uk/force-4-freeze-ban-non-toxic-antifreeze-5ltr.html

Then look at its data sheet...

http://www.leesan.com/uploaded_files/datasheets/feeze%20ban%20safety%20pg%203.pdf

This paints a VERY different picture!

"Harmful if Swallowed"

I think that says it all!!!

Keith.

PS And I cannot find a data sheet for the Elsan product, perhaps someone would like to email them and ask for a copy?

I think what we are talking about here is a very slight difference in the terminology used.

Potable water is definitely water safe to drink.

Anti-freezes for use in drinking water systems typically have wording such as "can be safely used in your drinking water system" or "safe for use in Potable water systems". They then carry warnings that all traces must be removed before the system is used for drinking water again. They do not say the anti-freeze is drinkable.

So slight differences in terminology causing massive differences in actual meaning!

Keith.

That depends on where the two water tanks are located, and their isolation, and heating if any. Never drink from them.Tap both off if not on the run. Heat your house. Do not have water from last year in it. Clean your tanks by the inspection holes. Use products for that. Including your casette toilet. If you wash off your hands or take a shower from the tank put it on high temp to avoid liagonella being the second stand on your temp regulator. Have always Dettol whit you. And do not use the water on you body if in doubt..

La Hobo - 2018-02-23 10:44 AM

Just a thought, but probably stupid, we used to add a couple of tennis balls to our outside pond in winter to stop it freezing up. If you can access your water tank could one not do something similar to it?

The balls do not prevent freezing, they absorb the expansion of the ice when the pond freezes over, thus protecting the sides of the pond.

tazdog6007 - 2018-02-23 11:36 AM

For the amount of time that the risk of a freezing tank and pipes happening in England (next week is a possibility) is very short. Drain the boiler and tank,put the kettle on from a portable container! :-D

Exactly what we do (!) (!) (!)

Archived