Major and Brexit

Bulletguy

antony1969 - 2018-03-02 7:14 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-03-02 6:55 PM

Well judging by the hour long speech today laying out Mrs Mays Brexit nobody will be a "winner". Its as a lot of us have been saying, its just a compromise and damage limitation we will end up with. Whats the point?

Rub your ball and tell us what it says oh mighty one

Why thank you Antony I will.

It means you wont be happy because it wont be a full Brexit like you wanted but a kind of halfway house and I wont be happy as it just wont be as good as the deal we had.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pelmetman - 2018-03-02 6:59 PM

Well judging by the hour long speech today laying out Mrs Mays Brexit nobody will be a "winner". Its as a lot of us have been saying, its just a compromise and damage limitation we will end up with. Whats the point?

I'd rather pick up the tab for a bag of crisps than a 3 course meal ;-) .........

But the tab for your packet of crisps is going to cost you the price of a banquet. Brexit bonkers yet again. *-)

"The challenge if we choose not to stay in the single market, is can we negotiate equal access in all those areas of services without agreeing to obey the same rules as everybody else?

"I'm afraid I think that is not a negotiation, it is something for a fairy godmother - it's not going to happen."

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-martin-donnelly-liam-fox-three-course-dinner-packet-of-crisps-customs-union-2018-2

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trade-deal-eu-leave-uk-economy-liam-fox-martin-donnelly-international-trade-a8230246.html

Barryd999 - 2018-03-02 8:07 PM

It means you wont be happy because it wont be a full Brexit like you wanted but a kind of halfway house and I wont be happy as it just wont be as good as the deal we had.

But she's ruled out the single market and therefore the end of free movement of people so why should I feel I'm in some sort of halfway house limbo ???

antony1969 - 2018-03-02 8:38 PM

But she's ruled out the single market and therefore the end of free movement of people so why should I feel I'm in some sort of halfway house limbo ???

Ruled it out in name only. Point is she is still talking about having access to parts of the single market and "A customs union" and has said there will be a price to pay for that. She also the other day guaranteed free movement of people after we leave the EU at least through the transitional phase. Face it, its a softly softly approach to a half in half out deal. Lets see what the EU come back with and just how much she is prepared to give away to get a deal which offers frictionless trade and solves the Northern Ireland border issue. There is no way of solving the later without single market and customs union access.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-03-02 9:54 PM

antony1969 - 2018-03-02 8:38 PM

Ruled it out in name only. Point is she is still talking about having access to parts of the single market and "A customs union" and has said there will be a price to pay for that. She also the other day guaranteed free movement of people after we leave the EU at least through the transitional phase.

I can live with a transition phase ;-) ..........

Its not about the journey, its all about the destination B-) ........

antony1969 - 2018-03-02 7:12 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-03-02 6:39 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-03-02 5:42 PM

antony1969 - 2018-03-02 3:22 PM

If Corbyn did win the next election and we had a Labour Government I can guarantee we the losers wouldn't be still be asking for a second election 18 months later because we weren't told the facts

You wouldnt have to as they come around often enough. I bet you would be campaigning to get him out though in between. You know the facts or at least the plan when you elect a government, its called a manifesto. You would assume you would have an idea of what that party represents as well before you tick the box seeing as we have been voting the same two parties in all our lives.

+1 :-). Plus, you know you can get rid of them after 5 years. Try that post Brexit.

You say you won, Antony, as though it was a game of football. Well, yes, you were one who voted to leave, and leave had a small majority. But what, apart from the referendum vote, have you actually won?

Whether you (and therefore the rest of us) actually "won" (assuming the lemmings do go over the cliff) will only become apparent some years, possibly decades, hence.

Supposing the economy doesn't grow as the Brexiters forecast, and you find your income falling as a result, would that still count as a win? Would it still count as a win if the rest of the EU gets richer, while we get poorer? Just asking, mind. :-)

Brian no I won the Leave or Remain vote , nothing at all like a football game , I won you lost accept that and the pain may ease ... Your right of course in saying I won't truly know if Ive won for a long time , possibly not even in my lifetime but Im quite prepare to accept that as a gamble and have from the very beginning but I don't need constant wingers and moaners telling me Ive made a mistake or I wasn't able to take in all the info because Im some kind of in-breed ... As for the economy it will not effect me either way , won't stop me earning a dollar ... Folk will always need the likes of moi ... Voting wether in elections or neverendums is a gamble and I chose to gamble ... Am I right to gamble only time will tell but my gamble was the winning gamble not the whinging gamble

There is no "pain" Antony, I accept that leave won that argument. But, you must also accept that remain may win the next argument, and that is the one I'm now focused on.

BTW, I didn't say it was "like" a football game, but I'm happy to accept your analogy that it was like placing a bet. It still makes the point. Put £5 on a nag at 100 - 1, and if it wins you cop £500. Makes Brexit look an odd sort of bet, though. You can't get out, but must now wait to find out what the stakes were and what the winnings might be. Looks like the last refuge for Gamblers Anonymous, to me, but, hey, ho! :-D

I suspect the economy will affect you as, if it goes wrong, people will have less money to invest or spend, less will be built, and people will put off roofing work merely having patch-up repairs carried out instead. Equally, if it goes right, the reverse will be true. You do have skin in the game. That is inescapable. No-one will be immune.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-03-03 11:05 AM

I suspect the economy will affect you as, if it goes wrong, people will have less money to invest or spend, less will be built, and people will put off roofing work merely having patch-up repairs carried out instead. Equally, if it goes right, the reverse will be true. You do have skin in the game. That is inescapable. No-one will be immune.

Well its not like being in the UK hasn't adversely affected the UK economy is it? *-) ........

UK fishing industry on its knees, wages for the low paid suppressed by the influx of cheap EU labor, housing shortage because of said labor, services overloaded because of said labor, Prisons full of EU prisoners that we're not allowed to kick out ........Yeah being in the EU is wonderful *-) ........

Brian Kirby - 2018-03-03 11:05 AM

antony1969 - 2018-03-02 7:12 PM

Brian Kirby - 2018-03-02 6:39 PM

Barryd999 - 2018-03-02 5:42 PM

antony1969 - 2018-03-02 3:22 PM

If Corbyn did win the next election and we had a Labour Government I can guarantee we the losers wouldn't be still be asking for a second election 18 months later because we weren't told the facts

You wouldnt have to as they come around often enough. I bet you would be campaigning to get him out though in between. You know the facts or at least the plan when you elect a government, its called a manifesto. You would assume you would have an idea of what that party represents as well before you tick the box seeing as we have been voting the same two parties in all our lives.

+1 :-). Plus, you know you can get rid of them after 5 years. Try that post Brexit.

You say you won, Antony, as though it was a game of football. Well, yes, you were one who voted to leave, and leave had a small majority. But what, apart from the referendum vote, have you actually won?

Whether you (and therefore the rest of us) actually "won" (assuming the lemmings do go over the cliff) will only become apparent some years, possibly decades, hence.

Supposing the economy doesn't grow as the Brexiters forecast, and you find your income falling as a result, would that still count as a win? Would it still count as a win if the rest of the EU gets richer, while we get poorer? Just asking, mind. :-)

Brian no I won the Leave or Remain vote , nothing at all like a football game , I won you lost accept that and the pain may ease ... Your right of course in saying I won't truly know if Ive won for a long time , possibly not even in my lifetime but Im quite prepare to accept that as a gamble and have from the very beginning but I don't need constant wingers and moaners telling me Ive made a mistake or I wasn't able to take in all the info because Im some kind of in-breed ... As for the economy it will not effect me either way , won't stop me earning a dollar ... Folk will always need the likes of moi ... Voting wether in elections or neverendums is a gamble and I chose to gamble ... Am I right to gamble only time will tell but my gamble was the winning gamble not the whinging gamble

There is no "pain" Antony, I accept that leave won that argument. But, you must also accept that remain may win the next argument, and that is the one I'm now focused on.

BTW, I didn't say it was "like" a football game, but I'm happy to accept your analogy that it was like placing a bet. It still makes the point. Put £5 on a nag at 100 - 1, and if it wins you cop £500. Makes Brexit look an odd sort of bet, though. You can't get out, but must now wait to find out what the stakes were and what the winnings might be. Looks like the last refuge for Gamblers Anonymous, to me, but, hey, ho! :-D

With respect Brian Ive been doing roofing a long time and never been without work ... Sometimes through recession you have to lower otherwise inflated prices but still earn a dollar ... I don't do new build work as there is no money in it other than for the main contractor but you do have a point with that as has been proved when new house builds slow down during recession ... A poor Brexit won't really make much difference to me work wise and to be honest Im optimistic about the future but like the gamble I previously mentioned Im well aware it could go the other way ... Life is a gamble is it not and if others want to sit back and be content with their EU lot then thats fine but we did have a neverendum and I won and my gamble is taking place as we speak ... Italy may take a gamble tomorrow if we are lucky

antony1969 - 2018-03-03 11:39 AM.......................With respect Brian Ive been doing roofing a long time and never been without work ... Sometimes through recession you have to lower otherwise inflated prices but still earn a dollar ... I don't do new build work as there is no money in it other than for the main contractor but you do have a point with that as has been proved when new house builds slow down during recession ... A poor Brexit won't really make much difference to me work wise and to be honest Im optimistic about the future but like the gamble I previously mentioned Im well aware it could go the other way ... Life is a gamble is it not and if others want to sit back and be content with their EU lot then thats fine but we did have a neverendum and I won and my gamble is taking place as we speak ... Italy may take a gamble tomorrow if we are lucky

Ah well! :-) Are you keeping warm in the snow? Huddersfield seems to have had a bit of a pasting!

Brian Kirby - 2018-03-03 12:22 PM

antony1969 - 2018-03-03 11:39 AM.......................With respect Brian Ive been doing roofing a long time and never been without work ... Sometimes through recession you have to lower otherwise inflated prices but still earn a dollar ... I don't do new build work as there is no money in it other than for the main contractor but you do have a point with that as has been proved when new house builds slow down during recession ... A poor Brexit won't really make much difference to me work wise and to be honest Im optimistic about the future but like the gamble I previously mentioned Im well aware it could go the other way ... Life is a gamble is it not and if others want to sit back and be content with their EU lot then thats fine but we did have a neverendum and I won and my gamble is taking place as we speak ... Italy may take a gamble tomorrow if we are lucky

Ah well! :-) Are you keeping warm in the snow? Huddersfield seems to have had a bit of a pasting!

Thanks for asking ... Its not been too bad to be fair and Ive certainly seen a lot worse ... I think the media go a little OTT at times but having said that I set out at 7 yesterday morning to get some s afford boards and black ice dumped me in a ditch , thankfully a gritter came past and towed me out so fair play to him ... The M62 was bad but always is to be fair ... What about your way ... To be fair Im just sat here waiting for a delivery of 5 x tonne bags of logs and lads just rung to say he's stuck in Halifax !!

antony1969 - 2018-03-03 12:32 PM.........................Thanks for asking ... Its not been too bad to be fair and Ive certainly seen a lot worse ... I think the media go a little OTT at times but having said that I set out at 7 yesterday morning to get some s afford boards and black ice dumped me in a ditch , thankfully a gritter came past and towed me out so fair play to him ... The M62 was bad but always is to be fair ... What about your way

Variable snow, but mainly just bitterly cold. Yesterday's forecast dump didn't materialise. Sun now out so snow disappearing, but still very cold. We had all of 50mm here! More to the east, more to the west, and obviously more on higher ground, so we seem to have been in a lucky patch.

Sorry to hear about the ditch. Any damage? Our son in law tried removing a telegraph pole when he hit black ice. Pole 1, vehicle 0, SIL shaken, but not stirred! :-)

Oh dear that sounds painful but thankfully it sounds like the pain might only be financial and ultimately if SIL walked away from it then thats all that matters ... Regarding my van thankfully no damage that I am aware of other than the wheels taking a battering but I haven't looked underneath yet to check ... In a weeks time the snow and ice will be forgotten about and we'll be on water shortages and standpipe threats

Archived