Soot regeneration

Is there software availble on fiat ducato to start the process manually And a warning when it should be done. i have seen it on large MAN crane truck of 9 tons and it takes 30- 45 minutes at engine running. He has to do it because his engine will not start due to lack of generation at low speed driving. Similar to motor homes. Does a fiat ducato euro 6 goes in limp home mode or stalls.

I had the particle filter block on my 130hp Ducato. This was one of the first to be fitted with the filter and there was a problem with the pipe leading to the pressure sensor that is used to start regeneration getting blocked, so the filter did not get regenerated automatically as it should have.

The only indication of a problem was the "check engine" light came on. A visit to the Fiat Professional workshop showed the filter was blocked & that there was a recall for upgraded pipes, pressure sensor and updated engine management software. I was advised it was safe to continue driving until the parts came in and, although the van seemd a bit down on performance, I would not describe it as being in "limp mode".

When the new parts had been installed, the blocked filter was forced to regenerate by a program run from the diagnostic computer - this took control of the engine operation, running at high speed for a long time & my fuel gauge was 25% lower when I got it back !

A forced regeneration seems like a pretty brutal process & not one that should be undertaken lightly. After the pipes & sensor had been changed, mine regenerated itself in the background as it should - presumably on longer stretches of motorway running.

HTH

Nigel B

Monique

There are on-line suggestions that “Multiecuscan” diagnostic software may be used to force a DPF regeneration.

The possibility of a DPF-equipped Ducato (Euro 6 or earlier) going into 'limp mode' is covered in the section of the Owner Handbook that discusses the “ENGINE OIL DETERIORATED” dashboard warning light. Limp mode is said to have an initial stage where engine revs are limited to 3000rpm, followed by a 2nd stage where engine revs are limited to 1500rpm. There is no advice that - when in limp mode - the engine will not start.

What does your Fiat dealer say?

On a Row these cranes like Caterpillar due frequent start and stops or run for hours a day. My partner said that these engines have a special crankventilation system in a way that the bad is not returned to the sump but end in a catch cylinder can where it is condensed. The catch can was before also in cars. But cars get away whit this whit oilmist less engines crancase design and the like. Time for a tesla motorhome.

Derek my fiat dealer is in our motorhome club whit a nice fiat pilote semi integral, And a airtop on the rear . I said how to do it. He has not a clue but levae the technical to his brother. Who had an attack. A ford engineer who is in our club make overtime in his garage. He said in confidence to me it not assured that your engine oil is really changed. So be alert as me standing beside my motorhome which is not allowede because of safety to see what happen. But i have an agreement whit my dealer that ican see it all what happens.

It is possible to carry out a forced regeneration of the Ducato DPF through diagnostic software as mentioned, but it is really a measure of last resort, and quite hard on the vehicle. It is recommended for instance to carry out an oil and filter change on the vehicle before it is put back into use.

The Ducato can also be ordered with an optional facility for the driver to carry out "soft" regenerations on demand, rather than as and when dictated by the onboard software. It is meant for vehicles mainly used in conditions where they would not regenerate automatically as often as required, due to low mileage trips, predominantly town use, etc.

I have not personally seen it fitted on any vans and can't see it ever being specified on a motorhome, but it is described in the technical documentation.

Very interesting Deneb. Where that is described in fiat technical. Yes it quite hard on the vehicle at higher temperature than driving compared to stationary. Any way the two small pipes over dpf filter and a sensor is linked th the ECU. At what diff press compared to the exhaust pressure. That hot stove sits in the exhaust and i can not see how it will attack the sump oil. Or do i missing a link.

Monique,

The deterioration of the engine oil during a regeneration is nothing to do with the actual temperature of the exhaust system.

During a regeneration extra fuel is injected into the cylinders to raise the temperature of the exhaust gas and cause the soot to burn off. Some of this extra fuel gets past the piston rings and into the sump, diluting the engine oil and causing the level to rise. If the oil level rises too high this can cause oil pull over into the engine breather and intake system and then ultimately catastrophic engine run away!

Keith.

After years of dashing here there everywhere as a Fault engineer. Retired and bought a motorhome. Great just saunter along no rush and great cruise control.

On one journey back up through France an engine light management light came on as I neared Calais. So, I took it to a Garage in Calais The techy there spoke good English .and he plugged his diagnostic machine in, a code came up which referred to the EGR, his suggestion was ok to drive if it comes on again. Give the engine a good drive up a hill. So, after He accepted a bottle of wine we set off and crossed over the channel.

We did not have a problem for at least 3 months when the engine management light came on again. So, I Asked the local garage who service my car. About this problem. my Answer you need to take it to a fiat dealer for regeneration. What!! they plug your van up to a computer and it revs the engine up to get the exhaust system very hot to burn of the coke that you have generated by your careful and slow rev driving and use of Cruise control

He then said they don’t get this problem with the white van man’s engine because they trash the engine. To save yourself some money take your van up to the A465 this is a dual carriage way road from Swansea to Merthyr (known as the heads of Valleys roads) there is a section known locally as the Neath bank a long climb up hill, get your van going uphill in 3rd gear keep the revs above 3000 this should burn off the coke.

I did it, that was 2 years ago and I have not had the problem reappear and I have changed my style of driving of ambling along in 6th gear sorry this is a bit long but hope it helps

I agree if you drive your vehicle hard enough and give it a good run it shouldn't block the DPF.

Half the issue with Diesel cars getting blocked is that people use them for short journeys. That they could walk.

Likewise running your Motorhome on your drive or in storage will not do it any good over the winter. It won't even charge the battery.

The issue is when the DPF becomes blocked it needs driving hard almost straight away. This should stop it needing a regeneration.

Keihl, nice comment. Your fiat ducato PCV breather is the black box which sits on the top of the engine. What does it do? The positive crankcase ventilation keeps the blow by gases containing hydrocarbon and crankcase oil mist and water vapour under a small positive pressure in the sump and all galeries connected including the head. in that black box it will be condensed and it will fall back by gravity in to the sump. Before it was collected in catch cans as stil is the case in stationary engines. Because it not good for the oil. In case of dpf generation by the diff pressure sensor the ecu brain said if that is possible or not during driving to burn out the bad. If that does not happen you will get back pressure in the exhaust and alarms, or stall. A forged generation can be done at driving and at idle. but at idle it needs engine speed rpm, and depended on the engine cooling and the time about 30- 45 minutes it can be hard for the engine as Deneb said, Anf fiat said having this software that it has a effect on the oil in the sump.

Wasn't Me - 2018-03-09 5:38 PM

I agree if you drive your vehicle hard enough and give it a good run it shouldn't block the DPF.

Half the issue with Diesel cars getting blocked is that people use them for short journeys. That they could walk.

Likewise running your Motorhome on your drive or in storage will not do it any good over the winter. It won't even charge the battery.

The issue is when the DPF becomes blocked it needs driving hard almost straight away. This should stop it needing a regeneration.

How does the saving in fuel costs gained by driving your MH relatively slowly compare with garage costs for sorting out a clogged filter? I keep at 70 on motorways to make up for the times we are taking it easy.

It is out and over whit these diesels. We are heading for a new future powered by fuel cell cars driving on hydrogen like the zeppelin balloon years ago. Having a high pressure tank who can be refilled by a credit card in three minutes and covered all of norway in green. That hyprocrites as ever politician sold the oil and gas to us, but they drive green themselves. It is still a battery car but whit hydrogen fuel stations instead of copper wiring. Rebuild the classic to it and rephrase to hydrogen. Only water cames out of the exhaust pipe. The aircraft low by pass turbine engines can also powered by hydrogen instead by JP4 jet fuel.

Archived