Millau Bridge Cam

whisturx

It says its live but I just keep getting the same 30 seconds of film which starts out with the same lorry coming north bound.

Best to see the bridge from below or afar I think. Driving across it is not that remarkable.

There are some fantastic places to see around there so its worth dropping down into the valley below.

Barryd999 - 2018-03-09 12:40 PM

Best to see the bridge from below or afar I think. Driving across it is not that remarkable.

Agreed - when crossing you can't really see much.

I seem to recall that there is a visitor centre down below which I found interesting.

I agree, best seen from below at Peyre on the D41, through the cherry orchards - and as a bonus you can visit the Museum of Cherries! - I kid you not! 
There is also a very pleasant little bistro on the side of the river Tarn where you can sip your Chablis, munch on a plat du jour and stare in wonder at the British designed bridge. Good old Norman!

I worked in Toulouse in early noughties when the bridge first opened and all the guests we had come for a holiday wanted to visit the bridge so I got quite blase about "our British bridge". It was designed by Sir Norman Foster though as you go round the visitor centre 270 metres underneath the bridge, he's hardly mentioned and if you look at the video of the bridge opening, the then French President, Jacques Chirac, goes on about the wonderful French achievement in designing and building it and narry a mention of Sir NF. Standing at the visitor centre and looking up at the bridge, does make you a bit giddy

Having said that it is indeed a magnificent fantastic structure esp if you're impressed by man's ingenuity and technical engineering achievements. It leaves some folk cold, but most say "wow" when they first see it.

One of the best views is from the hill just to the east. Go towards the town of Milau on the D992 and there's a tiny almost hidden right turn showing a smallviewpoint sign. Windy road through a village and switchbacking up and up the hill and you'll get to the top where the view is fantastic. I only did it by car but I'm sure a motorhome would be OK.

For a while the shop at the Airbus factory in Toulouse had a fabulous A0 photo poster for sale taken from the hill of three A380's flying over the bridge and it was just a rumour that one of them flew under it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhyeuneT5gM. This isn't too shabby either. Neither is this;

If you're brave the hills to the northeast of the bridge do hang gliding and motorised kiting and they choose which hill to fly from depending on wind direction, the local tourist info centre will give you the contact details. http://en.tourisme-aveyron.com/en/discover/unmissables/millau-viaduct.php might help too. I admit to wanting to have a go hang gliding there but I wasn't brave enough. Actually that's not why I didn't do it, it was always too windy or not windy enough the days I went. Honest

I have to say I'm calling these "hills" perhaps unfairly. It might be more accurate to call them small mountains, they're massive. BTW the hill with the viewpoint is on the way to a campsite so might be worth staying there and if you then continue onwards from the top of the viewpoint you'll eventually get to the N75 and can then "do the bridge". But don't stop on it to admire the view. It's all under camera control and they're pretty hot on sightseers. There's quite a few Aires and camp sites along the river too

I always approached the bridge from direction Albi to the southwest on the D993 driving through the village of Roquefort. where they make the famous cheese. Well worth a detour or for lunch and to see how it's made, You can go round several of the famous makers.

One of my favourite drives was on one occasion driving from Roquefort going towards the Millau bridge and a huge Red Kite, I guess a 2 mtre wingspam, flew alongside my car for a couple of miles swooping quite close to the car. I guess we were near to her nest, but what a magnificent bird. Sorry I can't guarantee you'll see that one, but they're abundant in the region. Just keep your eyes peeled.

In reply to Barry ,the bridge cam updates every so many minutes. So if you leave a time period between accessing the camera you will see the changing traffic , day / night and weather.

Not sure how long between updating.

It is now all lit up. If you click on the "menu" top left ,there are some interesting photos from other angles under "Discover the Viaduct "

Archived