Talking spirit level?

michaelmorris

blaven - 2018-03-14 10:11 PM

Agreed. Prolonged reversing under strain is not advisable, but my ‘technique’ is to zoom quickly to the highest point on the ramps, apply the handbrake sharpish, check the spirit level and gently lower on the foot brake if necessary. Works for me. There’s always a time lag between one’s partner signalling frantically and the driver reacting, especially as one gets older!

Takes a braver, for want of a better word, man than me to 'zoom' up leveling ramps to the highest point in any gear, and I would not recommend it as it can be great fun, for want of a better phrase, extricating and repairing it all if you go off the high ends of the ramps !

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'm much like several others, if it looks right then it is right (substitute level for right) but if you want a talking level, here's one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_BKalvslund.Vaterpas_med_lyd&hl=en_GB

To use it, as you say there's nowhere level to stand it on on your dash but if you set your van level say on your drive, then use the phone app and "stick" some small bits of paper or cardboard or wood on the dash to level your phone, then Robert is your mother's brother. Use something like blue tack to stick the levelling pad down so no permanent damage. Just peel it off later when you realise it's all academic and not needed

You see lots of MHs using levelling blocks and seemingly routinely as they pitch up and I assume that many of them will be ex-caravanners, missing the elaborate rituals of pitching caravans.

We rarely use our levelling blocks; I park nose down if there is a bit of a gradient, so we sleep feet down (in our fore and aft single beds) and I don't worry about a gradient for other purposes unless we are obviously too far from level to sit and eat in comfort.  So I'm very much at the minimalist end of the spectrum.

But after various attempts to get levelling blocks which work reliably, I now carry three "stepped" plastic blocks so that I can "feel" the steps when I'm driving up them.  I have a medium sized pair and a single enormous one, which I bought as a stray at a Show.  You can only ever need a maximum of three; think about it!

I used to rely on the OH for guidance but realised a long time ago that she has no aptitude: I've tried ask her to sign the step position on blocks or the closing distance to a wall by raising the appropriate number of fingers or mirroring the distance by hold her hands apart but she simply can't do that, nor shout a warning of any kind.  As the MH gets close to the relevant step or closing distance, she is compelled to raise both hands to cover her mouth with a silent expression of extreme anxiety.

But as other contributors have pointed out, the easiest approach is to eyeball where you intend to park, choose an angle of approach which gets you as level as possible, then handbrake and kettle on!

ColinM50 - 2018-03-15 10:38 AM

Personally I'm much like several others, if it looks right then it is right (substitute level for right) but if you want a talking level, here's one

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_BKalvslund.Vaterpas_med_lyd&hl=en_GB

/QUOTE]

Thanks, that looks like exactly what I'm after.

malc d - 2018-03-15 11:34 AM

I can't help thinking that an electronic talking spirit level was about as necessary to invent as an electronic talking teaspoon.

(lol)

Tried Googling but can't find this electronic talking teaspoon. Where do I get one? (lol)

ColinM50 - 2018-03-15 2:20 PM

I can't help thinking that an electronic talking spirit level was about as necessary to invent as an electronic talking teaspoon.

(lol)

Tried Googling but can't find this electronic talking teaspoon. Where do I get one? (lol)

You can't buy just one, they come in sets so they don't get lonely and have other cutlery that are more sensible to talk to than people, and having heard a lot of people talk I can well believe that!

Some of us feel we need more talking gismos and some of us could very easily manage with less I guess?

(lol)

Not seen one yet Colin - but now that I have planted the idea I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

One day people will wonder how we ever managed without them.

;-)

malc d - 2018-03-15 2:36 PM
malc d - 2018-03-15 11:34 AMI can't help thinking that an electronic talking spirit level was about as necessary to invent as an electronic talking teaspoon. (lol)
Not seen one yet Colin - but now that I have planted the idea I'm sure it's only a matter of time. One day people will wonder how we ever managed without them. ;-)

The technology is out there Malc .... Cambridge University no less! 

All it needs is an entrepreneur to realise the potential and market it to unwary Motorhomers.

laimeduck - 2018-03-15 3:16 PM
malc d - 2018-03-15 2:36 PM
malc d - 2018-03-15 11:34 AMI can't help thinking that an electronic talking spirit level was about as necessary to invent as an electronic talking teaspoon. (lol)
Not seen one yet Colin - but now that I have planted the idea I'm sure it's only a matter of time. One day people will wonder how we ever managed without them. ;-)

The technology is out there Malc .... Cambridge University no less! 

All it needs is an entrepreneur to realise the potential and market it to unwary Motorhomers.

Oh my gawd - what have I done !The faith that people have in technology concerns me - for instance people driving into a river because a sat-nav told them it was the way to go.There is even talk now of airliners not needing pilots !( You wouldn't get me on one ). :-|

http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh1/coffeecup/coffeecup.htm

What a coincidence! Here are the specs for my latest project -

iTea stirrer

(>) Fully automatic Sonic sensor. Supplied with 2 sets of ear defenders to protect your hearing.

(>) Wifi interface to connect to NASA supercomputer to analyse data and signal when tea is ready for drinking. Response time less than 2 days.

(>) Optional GPS to tell what hemisphere you are in for clockwise or anticlockwise tea stirring.

(>) Can be broken down for cleaning in less than 3 hours ready for your next cuppa.

(>) 12V operation @ 50Amps

(>) Weighs just 50kg

(>) Supplied with 500 page user manual

(>) RRP £9999.99 (1% discount for subscribers to this forum)

Any takers?

Pete-B - 2018-03-15 9:51 PM

I always knew it was worth the money to have Mick at SAP fit EP levelers for me. Arrive on site, handbrake on, press auto button == van level in a minute and very stable even in high winds.

I still reckon the old fashioned way is more cost effective, non reliant on gizmos and very effective - besides - only a horse would want to park in a stable?

I use the Truma app (free) on my phone. I put it on the floor between the seats, having calibrated it at home when the van is level, because the floor between the seats is not level when the van is level. When you first park it tells you by how much (cm) each wheel must be raised for the van to be level. This helps in placing the levelling blocks.

Tracker - 2018-03-14 3:28 PM

breakaleg - 2018-03-14 3:17 PM

If dinner stays on table it's level.

Almost - as long as any glasses don't slide off the table and any spilt wine does not roll off the table and stain the carpet and as long I don't roll out of bed !

Holidays are too short to faff about with spirit levels and apps!

Simple answer to that. Take longer holidays!

Ether - 2018-03-16 8:54 PM

I use the Truma app (free) on my phone. I put it on the floor between the seats, having calibrated it at home when the van is level, because the floor between the seats is not level when the van is level. When you first park it tells you by how much (cm) each wheel must be raised for the van to be level. This helps in placing the levelling blocks.

Just downloaded it. That looks like a great app. Thanks for sharing. :-D

Derek Uzzell - 2018-03-17 8:54 AM

Details of the Truma app here

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-inet-system/truma-app.html

There's a USA review here

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/in-search-of-level-comparing-3-rv-leveling-products/

(I understand that Andrex are developing a free ‘talking’ app to assist people in finding their backside ;-) )

Just checked out the video illustrating the sun orientation and levelling functions. All very interesting, but why are they drinking orange juice after setting up their picnic table under the awning? Puzzled!

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/in-search-of-level-comparing-3-rv-leveling-products/

(I understand that Andrex are developing a free ‘talking’ app to assist people in finding their backside ;-) )

It seems that in order to set up and calibrate an electronic spirit level you need to have a non electronic spirit level - and check where the bubble is.

;-)

That is taking things a bit too far! Just get one of these instead.

https://www.bidet-shower.co.uk/why-purchase-your-electronic-bidet-shower-toilet-from-us-/combination-bowl-and-electronic-bidet-seats/toto-neorest-ac-washlet/

Think of how much you can save in toilet rolls. ;-)

blaven - 2018-03-17 10:03 AM

Just checked out the video illustrating the sun orientation and levelling functions. All very interesting, but why are they drinking orange juice after setting up their picnic table under the awning? Puzzled!

The sun orientation app also looks good as (as I am a complete numpty) a couple of times we've pitched up in exactly the wrong orientation to catch the sun or get shade from the awning.

I'll try the app when we next pitch up in the van. If it works okay, my plan is to stick a phone shell case (£1.50 from EBay) to the dash so that I can calibrate the phone once, then get repeatable results that are easily visible from the driving position. Just drop the phone into the case and I'd be ready to go - simples.

StuartO - 2018-03-15 12:21 PMYou see lots of MHs using levelling blocks and seemingly routinely as they pitch up and I assume that many of them will be ex-caravanners, missing the elaborate rituals of pitching caravans.

We rarely use our levelling blocks; I park nose down if there is a bit of a gradient, so we sleep feet down (in our fore and aft single beds) and I don't worry about a gradient for other purposes unless we are obviously too far from level to sit and eat in comfort.  So I'm very much at the minimalist end of the spectrum.

But after various attempts to get levelling blocks which work reliably, I now carry three "stepped" plastic blocks so that I can "feel" the steps when I'm driving up them.  I have a medium sized pair and a single enormous one, which I bought as a stray at a Show.  You can only ever need a maximum of three; think about it!

I used to rely on the OH for guidance but realised a long time ago that she has no aptitude: I've tried ask her to sign the step position on blocks or the closing distance to a wall by raising the appropriate number of fingers or mirroring the distance by hold her hands apart but she simply can't do that, nor shout a warning of any kind.  As the MH gets close to the relevant step or closing distance, she is compelled to raise both hands to cover her mouth with a silent expression of extreme anxiety.

But as other contributors have pointed out, the easiest approach is to eyeball where you intend to park, choose an angle of approach which gets you as level as possible, then handbrake and kettle on!

I sympathise with your OH Stuart. One of my worst efforts was when I was detailed to assist his nibs in reversing a rented RV close to a massive tree using hand signals. I managed to keep the rear end clear of the base of the tree, which I focused on assiduously. He did ask, none too politely, why I hadn’t noticed that trees have branches and are often not true to the perpendicular.

Archived