Talking spirit level?

michaelmorris

malc d - 2018-03-17 10:12 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-03-17 8:54 AM

Details of the Truma app here

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-inet-system/truma-app.html

There's a USA review here

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/in-search-of-level-comparing-3-rv-leveling-products/

(I understand that Andrex are developing a free ‘talking’ app to assist people in finding their backside ;-) )

It seems that in order to set up and calibrate an electronic spirit level you need to have a non electronic spirit level - and check where the bubble is.

;-)

Yes, but you should only need to do it once and then the cailbration data should be stored in the phone forever.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
michaelmorris - 2018-03-17 10:51 AM

malc d - 2018-03-17 10:12 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2018-03-17 8:54 AM

Details of the Truma app here

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-inet-system/truma-app.html

There's a USA review here

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/in-search-of-level-comparing-3-rv-leveling-products/

(I understand that Andrex are developing a free ‘talking’ app to assist people in finding their backside ;-) )

It seems that in order to set up and calibrate an electronic spirit level you need to have a non electronic spirit level - and check where the bubble is.

;-)

Yes, but you should only need to do it once and then the cailbration data should be stored in the phone forever.

That's what they said about digital photographs - but some of my oldest ones are degrading already.

michaelmorris - 2018-03-17 10:51 AM

Or until the phone breaks down and/or you change phones whereas I still have the same spirit level I had almost 50 years ago!

Ether - 2018-03-16 8:54 PM

I use the Truma app (free) on my phone. I put it on the floor between the seats, having calibrated it at home when the van is level, because the floor between the seats is not level when the van is level. When you first park it tells you by how much (cm) each wheel must be raised for the van to be level. This helps in placing the levelling blocks.

Do you need to tell the app your wheelbase and track before it can make those precise calculations to raise up to three wheels?

malc d - 2018-03-17 12:00 PM

That's what they said about digital photographs - but some of my oldest ones are degrading already.

How can a digital photograph degrade? It can become corrupted sure, but having a good system of keeping back ups should take care of that. Conversely, almost all of the pictures I took as when I was a child and a teenager are now horribly degraded with a ghastly faded brown colour cast.

michaelmorris - 2018-03-17 1:33 PM

malc d - 2018-03-17 12:00 PM

How can a digital photograph degrade? It can become corrupted sure, but having a good system of keeping back ups should take care of that.

Conversely, almost all of the pictures I took as when I was a child and a teenager are now horribly degraded with a ghastly faded brown colour cast.

If digital info - such as photos - will last for ever, we wouldn't need to keep transferring them to newer files.

I don't know how or why they degrade - but recently I put some old discs in my PC to view photos taken back in 2004 or 2005 and in some instances half the photo now appears as a grey square.

They have been stored with many other discs which are still o.k.

As far as photos on film are concerned - having indulged in years gone by in processing my own ( black and white ) I reckon that any which end up with a faded brown colour cast were processed at speed and not washed sufficiently - as I have many old photos which are as clear as when they were taken.

In fact the only old stained photos I have were taken by a professional photographer in Milan back in the seventies.

Try to find the best possible level ground, Have good templates whit you in wood about one inch thick. These plastic things drop to much in the mud. Try to level on the two axis by putting an egg in the pan whithout the bacon. Or if you want to spend on air suspension four corner and hydraulic 4c feets do this: Try to level first by the auto susp of your air, if he says i can not make it, pull on your feets they work together whit the air bellows. and for sure you are level in a normal site outside the mountains. Just put some buttons and drinking tea. But you have to be some understanding of your chassis what these systems can do or not. The same you can do if you carry four axle stands whit you and put them on the templates. They use them in showrooms to prevent sea sick for the people entering the motor home. Cheers.

All this talk of levelling (which we’ve never much bothered with before) got me thinking, especially a I’ve just taken delivery of two levelling ramps to assist with extreme slopes. My van is fitted with four wind down stabilisation legs which, having a good firm suspension, we’ve never felt the need to use. Could these be used to level or are they unlikely to be able to handle the continuous load of a heavy van?

Michael, digital photos held in the JPEG format are said to deteriorate slightly each time the image is opened, edited, and saved.This is because the conversion from one image to another is not 100%. It's highly unlikely you will notice. Professional photographers know this and use different formats.

As technology marches on, then the quality of images improves so it can also seem like older digital images have deteriorated because the quality is not on a par with more recent images. Devices for viewing digital photos have also improved.

Some viewing devices do not automatically recognise the format of some photographs. I sometimes use .lmnr format which is only recognised by my editing software. It's important, therefore, to ensure photos are saved in format your viewing device can read.

BruceM - 2018-03-18 4:33 PM

All this talk of levelling (which we’ve never much bothered with before) got me thinking, especially a I’ve just taken delivery of two levelling ramps to assist with extreme slopes. My van is fitted with four wind down stabilisation legs which, having a good firm suspension, we’ve never felt the need to use. Could these be used to level or are they unlikely to be able to handle the continuous load of a heavy van?

I would check if there is any mention in the handbook.

If they are quoted as suitable to lift the motorhome to change a wheel, I think they may be suitable for levelling purposes.

If not I would make the assumption that they are only suitable for stability purposes, especially on a heavy van.

But either way I would use large spreader pads for them to sit on.

Archived