Brexit. Rules of Origin

Barryd999

With each country having the same voting rights regardless whether they are givers or takers and the EU beaurocracy self interest machine not wanting to alter the status quo, reform looks further away every month.

Maybe a major giver leaving will help to focus their minds a little but somehow once the dust has settled I doubt it and we will see then how the remaining givers feel about their increased burden.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-03-17 11:56 AM

Tracker - 2018-03-17 10:27 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-03-17 9:59 AM

Do you think the French, Germans, Dutch and all the other EU countries want to lose their national identity by "Staying in the club"? Do you think they are less proud or patriotic than us? Of course they are not! They are just like us, proud of their heritage, history (Well perhaps not all of German history :D ) and I am sure they have no intention of giving up any of that and why should they. They have no intention of leaving though..

There does seem to be a lot of anti EU feeling in those countries Barry, which incidentally are also net contributors, it's just that nobody has yet given them the chance to voting on an opt in or out.

It may well be that they would vote to remain but that would not alter the issue that many of them are very disillusioned with the EU is run allegedly on their behalf.

If you looked at that huge analysis of polls posted recently (cant remember which thread it was on) there were hundreds of surveys from Europe as well as the UK and not a single one was even close to voting out with Italy I think being the nearest on 60% remain 40% leave.

your right though, there is a fair bit of anti EU feeling throughout Europe but I think most of it would like to see some reform and (for now at least) none of them would vote to leave and the general feeling I have observed from actually talking to Europeans is one of dismay and to some extent worry and sadness for us that we voted to leave. Whilst many are dissatisfied they realise the prospects on the other side of the fence are far worse. Levels of dissatisfaction cannot continue to rise though. The EU is made up of 27 countries and is for all intent and purposes an administration centre for the collective bloc of those countries, not some independent body acting against them. It is us and those countries that subscribe to it that IS the EU. So its up to us (Them) to reform it as we wish.

So where did you get the 135000 UK businesses that only do trade with the EU from?.........

Or is this your red bus moment? :D ........

Just askin ;-) ........Barry

Barryd999 - 2018-03-17 10:27 AM

Do you think that repeatedly telling me I am boring Antony will somehow make me think. "Oh Antony is right, Im boring so ill not mention Brexit ever again"? (lol)

You will thank me eventually for educating you in why Brexit is bad for you and all of us. Its just going to take a bit longer than I thought but eventually you will wake up as will the rest of them hopefully and realise that you ticked the wrong box. (^)

I didn't tick any box ... Should I have done ??? ... That's where I went wrong ... You like telling me and the rest of us Brexit voters how wrong we are so why can't I tell you how boring you are ???

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2018-03-17 4:50 PM

Do you think that repeatedly telling me I am boring Antony will somehow make me think. "Oh Antony is right, Im boring so ill not mention Brexit ever again"? (lol)

You will thank me eventually for educating you in why Brexit is bad for you and all of us. Its just going to take a bit longer than I thought but eventually you will wake up as will the rest of them hopefully and realise that you ticked the wrong box. (^)

I didn't tick any box ... Should I have done ??? ... That's where I went wrong ... You like telling me and the rest of us Brexit voters how wrong we are so why can't I tell you how boring you are ???

Still no answer to my 135000 question? ;-) ..........

You will thank me eventually for educating you in why Brexit is bad for you and all of us. Its just going to take a bit longer than I thought but eventually you will wake up as will the rest of them hopefully and realise that you ticked the wrong box.

I am indebted to my learned friend for continuing to pour his pro EU linctus down our throats every day, so much so that we are in grave danger of drowning in the brown stuff that looks suspiciously like bilge water, or worse.

I can't speak for die hard Brexiteers but I can't be bothered to trawl the web looking for similar dubious solutions to pour down remoaners throats.

I prefer to keep an open mind and let the real experts worry about getting it right as I make a point of never worrying about things over which I have no control.

Whats important now is that people realise no matter what they thought of the EU that life outside it is going to be worse, much worse. Of course people wont know that at this rate until its too late if they dont take their heads out of the sand or take an interest

.................................................................................

Seems your not the only one getting worried Barry. It's not your favourite rag, but it's reported in some others.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5511435/Porsche-boss-warns-EU-bullying-Britain-cost-jobs-Germany.html

Dave

Guest pelmetman
nowtelse2do - 2018-03-17 6:08 PM

Whats important now is that people realise no matter what they thought of the EU that life outside it is going to be worse, much worse. Of course people wont know that at this rate until its too late if they dont take their heads out of the sand or take an interest

.................................................................................

Seems your not the only one getting worried Barry. It's not your favourite rag, but it's reported in some others.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5511435/Porsche-boss-warns-EU-bullying-Britain-cost-jobs-Germany.html

Dave

I suspect Mr Hymer/Cathago/Burstner/Dethleffs & Euro Mobil is of the same opinion :D ........

Along with Mr Mercedes, Mr BMW, Mr VW, Mr Bentley, Mr Rolls Royce, Mr Audi, Mr Mini etc etc etc >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-03-17 6:50 PM

nowtelse2do - 2018-03-17 6:08 PM

Dave

I suspect Mr Hymer/Cathago/Burstner/Dethleffs & Euro Mobil is of the same opinion :D ........

Along with Mr Mercedes, Mr BMW, Mr VW, Mr Bentley, Mr Rolls Royce, Mr Audi, Mr Mini etc etc etc >:-) ........

And Fiat, Renault, PSA.

However there's hope for Peugeot and Opel because of Peugeot's ownership of Vauxhall.

BMW and VW between them own Bentley, RR, Mini, Porsche and Audi. The worse to be hit I would think would be Mercedes, Porsche and Audi because they are not built in the UK. Mimi's are not built here but have a big UK parts input and same with Ford.

Dave

Dave Pelmet! If you read the original link it explains about the 135000 UK exporters.

I dunno what the Germans are worried about because according to the latest news (as posted earlier) and as spouted by Chris Grayling on Question time last week we are just going to be having open borders and no customs checks at all!! (lol) So they can just send their Audis and BMWs as normal on trucks full of refugee stow aways of course. Our goods outwards will be a different matter though I suspect. A mini goes back and forwards four times in its production with parts coming from all over.

Interesting choice of words in the Daily Mail article. Bullying and Punishment. They have been dying to role those out for months I suspect but they will be the words of the Mail not Mr Porsche. Nobody is bullying or punishing anyone. The EU stated their position quite clearly. The UK however thinks they are bluffing because they need us more than we need them apparently. Hows that going so far?

Barryd999 - 2018-03-18 10:32 AM

Interesting choice of words in the Daily Mail article. Bullying and Punishment. They have been dying to role those out for months I suspect but they will be the words of the Mail not Mr Porsche. Nobody is bullying or punishing anyone. The EU stated their position quite clearly. The UK however thinks they are bluffing because they need us more than we need them apparently. Hows that going so far?

Barry,. Mr Porsche's words, not the DM's. If Germany is not worried then they should be, a £32.2bn trade difference in their favour is not peanuts and shouldn't be sniffed at.

Dave

nowtelse2do - 2018-03-18 2:21 PM

Barry,. Mr Porsche's words, not the DM's. If Germany is not worried then they should be, a £32.2bn trade difference in their favour is not peanuts and shouldn't be sniffed at.

Dave

Not so. The Express and the Mail decided to go with the word Bullying, nowhere in the quotations on either rag do any of his quotes mention words such as Bullying. What he does say though is that we should be part of a Free Trade agreement like Norway. I am sure the Brexiteers will be delighted at that prospect.

I am sure they are worried though as is the motor industry on this side of the channel. Brexit will be damaging to many sectors and to the motor industry in particular. You cannot have your cake and eat it though as we are learning which is why its so important we get a say on the final outcome. Whatever that might be. If you want free trade, single market and customs Union access you have to be in the EU or in a Norway type agreement. That is what was stipulated right from the offset by the EU and is what they have stuck to and rightly so.

Guest pelmetman

Dave Pelmet! If you read the original link it explains about the 135000 UK exporters.

Yep read it ;-) .....What a croc of sh*t (lol) ........Another red bus moment for the Remoaner desperado's >:-) ........

So lets talk sense :-| ......There are a 135,000 companies that started a business in the UK to specifically to supply the EU?????.........

Take you head out of your buttocks Barry and just try to think if that is at all sensible? 8-) ........

Just PMSL (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2018-03-18 7:18 PM

Yep read it ;-) .....What a croc of sh*t (lol) ........Another red bus moment for the Remoaner desperado's >:-) ........

So lets talk sense :-| ......There are a 135,000 companies that started a business in the UK to specifically to supply the EU?????.........

Take you head out of your buttocks Barry and just try to think if that is at all sensible? 8-) ........

You didnt read it properly then. I never said they purely set up to supply EU countries but they will all be effected by rules of origin if components are sourced from outside of the UK. Thats a fact, its not made up, thems the rules.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-03-18 7:39 PM

You didnt read it properly then. I never said they purely set up to supply EU countries but they will all be effected by rules of origin if components are sourced from outside of the UK. Thats a fact, its not made up, thems the rules.

“Rules of origin are going to be one post-Brexit additional cost to business that no amount of innovative thinking or new and unusual technology can stave off,” Sam Lowe, a trade expert at the Centre for European Reform told me. The CBI agrees.*** “For the 135,000 businesses who currently only export to the EU,”*** it writes in a new report, rules of origin will “be a huge and unprecedented administrative challenge.

:D ........

Just Quoting :D ......

pelmetman - 2018-03-18 7:46 PM

“Rules of origin are going to be one post-Brexit additional cost to business that no amount of innovative thinking or new and unusual technology can stave off,” Sam Lowe, a trade expert at the Centre for European Reform told me. The CBI agrees.*** “For the 135,000 businesses who currently only export to the EU,”*** it writes in a new report, rules of origin will “be a huge and unprecedented administrative challenge.

Right. So which part of it is a Croc of sh*t then as you claim?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-03-18 9:44 PM

Blimey you're hard work *-) .........

This bit.......

*** “For the 135,000 businesses who currently only export to the EU,”***

So you reckon there are 135,000 people who are dumb enough to set up a business in the UK to purely supply the EU? :-S ...........

Blimey you mean there are 135,000 folk even dumber than Bullet 8-) .......

pelmetman - 2018-03-20 8:57 AM

This bit.......

So you reckon there are 135,000 people who are dumb enough to set up a business in the UK to purely supply the EU? :-S ...........

Well its from "Experts" From the CBI Dave so its bound to be rubbish huh?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-03-20 9:30 AM

pelmetman - 2018-03-20 8:57 AM

This bit.......

Well its from "Experts" From the CBI Dave so its bound to be rubbish huh?

Funny I googled the figure it and the only appeared on the Prospects website ;-) .........

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/economics-and-finance/rules-of-origin-the-biggest-brexit-problem-you-didnt-know-about

Nothing from the CBI?........Surely your not posting fake news? 8-) ...........

The full report and PDF can be downloaded here from the Centre for European Reform.

https://www.cer.eu/insights/brexit-and-rules-origin-why-free-trade-agreements-%E2%89%A0-free-trade

It is also mentioned in several CBI reports so I don't think its fake news.

http://www.cbi.org.uk/search-results/?Keywords=rules+of+origin&display=search&newSearch=true&noCache=1&searchSectionID=

pelmetman - 2018-03-17 11:33 AM

Barryd999 - 2018-03-17 10:04 AM

Do they have 135000 export businesses whos market is purely the EU?

Where's this 135000 UK businesses that trade purely with the EU come from? ;-) .........

Oh I know the "Remoaner book of bullsh*t" (lol) .........

Natch, Dave. :-D "Businesses exporting goods between the UK and the EU, would need to complete Rules of Origin documents on both components and finished goods. For the 135,000 businesses who currently only export to the EU, this would be a huge and unprecedented administrative challenge, while companies of all sizes would incur significant costs. Government has previously estimated that these would range from 4% to 15% of the cost of the good.".

Source, CBI Report entitled "THE FUTURE UK-EU RELATIONSHIP", dated 22.01.2018.

I think you've misread the quote, which is a bit ambiguous. It is not saying there are 135,000 companies whose sole source of income is exporting to the EU, it is saying that there are 135000 UK companies who, in addition to their sales in the UK, only export to the EU (i.e. do not export to countries outside the EU).

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-03-20 5:30 PM

I think you've misread the quote, which is a bit ambiguous. It is not saying there are 135,000 companies whose sole source of income is exporting to the EU, it is saying that there are 135000 UK companies who, in addition to their sales in the UK, only export to the EU (i.e. do not export to countries outside the EU).

It clearly said........*** “For the 135,000 businesses who currently only export to the EU,”***

So its kinda like that red bus quote eh? >:-) .......

You know the one that said "lets fund the NHS"........Not "We Will", or any of the other baloney the Remoaners tried to make out of it

Guest pelmetman

Where's this 135000 UK businesses that trade purely with the EU come from? ;-) .........

Natch, Dave. :-D "Businesses exporting goods between the UK and the EU, would need to complete Rules of Origin documents on both components and finished goods. For the 135,000 businesses who currently only export to the EU, this would be a huge and unprecedented administrative challenge, while companies of all sizes would incur significant costs. Government has previously estimated that these would range from 4% to 15% of the cost of the good.".

Dunno what the fuss is about a bit more paperwork either ;-) .......

It's not like exporting stuff to the EU is paperless *-) ..........

https://www.gov.uk/starting-to-import/moving-goods-from-eu-countries

Back when I was exporting to the EU :D .........

There was loads, but I admit there was one bit less than when I exported to Jersey ;-) ........

I needed to fill out a customs declaration for the Channel Islands (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2018-03-21 9:49 AM

It clearly said........*** “For the 135,000 businesses who currently only export to the EU,”***

So its kinda like that red bus quote eh? >:-) .......

You know the one that said "lets fund the NHS"........Not "We Will", or any of the other baloney the Remoaners tried to make out of it

Don't think so, Dave. It's just badly phrased. You read into it the illogical interpretation, that those 135,000 companies existed only to export to the EU, with no home sales, and no sales elsewhere either. On reflection, as that was plainly nonsensical, you could have looked for a more rational interpretation of the phrase used. But, it better suited your Brexit agenda to rubbish the re-quote as "remoaner" scaremongering, and infer that Prospect had made up a quote from the CBI.

That's what's wrong with tribal politics: it closes people's minds to truth, where truth does not coincide with the tribal view. What's that phrase about smelling coffee? :-D

The Brexit bus actually said "We send the EU £350 million a week. Let’s fund our NHS instead. Vote Leave". A clear inference that if you voted for Brexit, you were voting for the money that would otherwise be sent to the EU to be diverted to fund the NHS.

So, a "promise" in electoral terms, that A) we sent the EU £350 million a week (which was i) inaccurate and ii) didn't take account of money that flows back to the UK from the EU) and B) if we were no longer doing that, the same sum would be spent on the NHS instead. So, one is a promise - of sorts - given as an inducement to an electorate to vote in a particular way, and the other contains on promise, no inducement, and is not related to any election or referendum. The difference is starkly clear to me, if not to you. It's that tribal fog again, isn't it? :-D

pelmetman - 2018-03-21 9:57 AM

There was loads, but I admit there was one bit less than when I exported to Jersey ;-) ........

I needed to fill out a customs declaration for the Channel Islands (lol) ........

Again, I think you've missed the point. The point is that those 135,000 businesses will incur additional costs in providing the paperwork required to export into the EU from a third party country. How is that extra cost to be met?

If they export less, due to administrative costs and tariffs pushing up their selling price in the EU, their exports will fall, will they not? So, less income + more expense x 135,000 = what? Lower pay for employees, or fewer employees, or fewer businesses (or probably a mix of all three), if history is any guide to the future.

You might argue that they will all be able to sell more into the UK instead - but that supposes two things. First, that they presently choose to sell less than the UK market could take (which is an odd way to run a business): and second, that they could sell that extra into a UK market that is suffering lower pay and job losses. That, to me, sounds economically absurd.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-03-21 1:04 PM

pelmetman - 2018-03-21 9:57 AM

Again, I think you've missed the point. The point is that those 135,000 businesses will incur additional costs in providing the paperwork required to export into the EU from a third party country. How is that extra cost to be met?

If they export less, due to administrative costs and tariffs pushing up their selling price in the EU, their exports will fall, will they not? So, less income + more expense x 135,000 = what? Lower pay for employees, or fewer employees, or fewer businesses (or probably a mix of all three), if history is any guide to the future.

You might argue that they will all be able to sell more into the UK instead - but that supposes two things. First, that they presently choose to sell less than the UK market could take (which is an odd way to run a business): and second, that they could sell that extra into a UK market that is suffering lower pay and job losses. That, to me, sounds economically absurd.

So just how much more paperwork is involved in sending something to the USA or the EU?......

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rules-of-origin

Not a lot by the look of it ;-) ........

Plus you only need to do it the once? :D .......

Archived