Lined showers

Deesider

At present we have an Autotrail Apache 632 which has a fully plastic lined shower "pod" which is obviously totally water tight. We are considering a replacement and find that many other manufacturers such as Autosleeper have showers which are not plastic lined but have walls of various other materials. Have any members experienced problems with such walls?

We’ve had three or four PVC ‘vans with showers similar to those you are querying. We have used these showers as a matter of course and have never experienced a problem with the walls or sealant deteriorating.

Cattwg :-D

First question why are you considering changing?

now for my experience.

when we inspected our second hand motor home before purchase we found cracks at the bottom of the shower wall, so we had already decided to repair or replace it, the material had become brittle, I do not know the exact reason , hot water, cleaning fluids ??

Replacement was the best option ( for reasons I can go into should someone need) but be aware it is not a job for the faint hearted. the wall unit is one long piece and it requires force to push it into the corners, I had help from someone experienced in this work.

so the cost of labour could be considerable !

Deesider - 2018-03-28 3:35 PM

We are considering a replacement and find that many other manufacturers such as Autosleeper

Replacing the shower or the MH?

Others seem to assume you mean just replacing the shower in your existing MH but I read your OP as replacing the entire MH. Correct?

Keith.

Deesider - 2018-03-28 3:35 PM

At present we have an Autotrail Apache 632 which has a fully plastic lined shower "pod" which is obviously totally water tight. We are considering a replacement and find that many other manufacturers such as Autosleeper have showers which are not plastic lined but have walls of various other materials. Have any members experienced problems with such walls?

My 2005 Hobby motorhome’s shower compartment had plastic-lined walls, but the bathroom ceiling had a vinyl ‘wallpaper’ finish and the ceiling extended over the shower compartment.

We used the shower daily and, after several years, mould began to appear on the area of ceiling above the shower compartment. Vinyl wallpaper can only tolerate so much cleaning and the surface eventually abraded through. Not too long before I sold the vehicle in 2014 I overlayed the shower’s ceiling with white plastic sheet of the type used to construct domestic shower cubicles.

A shower’s walls/ceiling made from wallboard with a vinyl ‘paper’ top surface cannot have the longevity of a shower with walls/ceiling clad with rigid plastic material, and the more frequently the shower is used the quicker ‘paper-covered’ wallboard will deteriorate.

I don’t have ‘wallpaper’ in the showers at home and I would not want it in my motorhome’s shower. Is the ‘wallpaper’ approach unique to UK motorhome builders?

Sorry if my original query was not clear. As Keith says, we are considering downsizing our MH and are looking at various models at about the 6.00m length. Many seem to have the "wallpaper" material in their showers. As we use our shower regularly one of our criteria is that the shower must be robust. Our Autotrail shower has been problem free but we are afraid current Autotrail models we like exceed 6.00m

that may be useful to some, we have recently had our bathroom at home re-done and because I don't like tiles we have had it done in 'Multipanel' which is totally waterproof. www.multipanel.co.uk, Multipanel is the name of the company who manufacture the product and comes in various colours and patterns. It has turned out to be excellent and wouldn't have any hesitation in recommending it, we had the floor done in the same. Although I think they come in 8 x 4 sheets I am sure that if someone wanted to use it for a motorhome it would not be a problem to cut down, it is joined in the corners by waterproof chrome joints.

Almost every van we ever had was of the shower tray and waterproof wallpaper clad wood board walls construction and I was unaware of any that leaked at the joins and I don't recall ever having to reseeal one.

That said it is unlikley that we would be aware of any leak until the wood began to rot, smell, or swell up with water so a regular check to ensure the silicone sealant between the two is not a bad idea and was always part of my own routine at least twice a year.

We have had the platic shower tray crack and recoating by a firm like Speedcoat solved that issue for us but as cracks, like sealant gaps, can be hairline sometimes they can be hard to spot as they only open up when weight is applied to the floor so unless you get up close to properly clean the shower you may not see them.

Archived