Insurance at retirement age

david lloyd

Well my renewal dropped through the letterbox and, as I have passed the magic age since last renewal, the C&MC would like to take an additional £300 off me - that's an increase of about 90%.

The motorhome has not changed (other than losing a bit more value) and I don't think I have changed much either but it would appear I have moved into a different risk bracket.

Looks like I'll be spending some time on the phone over the next few days.

David

Very interesting David and keep us informed with the result of your search for an alternative insurer. I too have reached such an age and received an email today from the CC saying my premium for the coming year will increase by about £40 . Before I had time to respond in any way I received a further email this afternoon advising the first email was sent in error and should be deleted and that they will be contacting me further. I hope my concern is without foundation but your post starts alarm bells ringing.

Just for interest, before renewing the ‘van insurance last September I rang around a few companies but decided to stay with Safeguard. The cost was £475.

The vehicle is an Adria PVC, valued at £40,000+.

I’m well past 65 years of age.

The excess is £250, of which £50 is voluntary.

My no claims is protected.

The premium includes breakdown cover both home and on the Continent.

There was a £25 service charge included in this figure.

Not sure how this compares but from my enquiries it was better or at least as good as other quotes I received.

Cattwg :-D

Well, I haven't found any significant difference in the price of insurance having passed state retirement age.

My wife and I took early retirement in out mid 50 and declared ourselves as 'retired' on our insurance policies. I own the campervan and OH has a new VW Polo. We are named drivers on each other policies and both have comprehensive, protected NCD and legal assistance. We each pay around £200 pa. We have a separate breakdown policy that covers us in any vehicle. Using a price comparison site, SAGA comes out a little lower than the C&MC price.

Well, phone calls made and the result is that I have returned to Comfort who I used to be with before changing last year to C&MC. The premium before changing was around £342 with Comfort but the renewal quote was something like £380 last year and the C&MC came in at £351.

The quote from Comfort for the coming year is £362 (with the usual UK/EU breakdown) which is some £300 less than my C&MC renewal quote - which only includes UK breakdown. So Comfort has my business once again - telephoned C&MC and they were unconcerned at my cancellation - not even remotely interested in trying to better the quote.

I have recently passed 65 but have been retired (and always declared this) for a few years so can only assume it is the age that triggered the increase. Tried Safeguard and they were similar to C&MC which surprised me as they were always quite competitive when we insured with them a few years ago before going to Comfort. Perhaps the companies have differing age triggers such as 65, 70 etc.?

Happy with the Comfort policy and price though.

David

david lloyd - 2018-04-04 9:25 AMWell, phone calls made and the result is that I have returned to Comfort who I used to be with before changing last year to C&MC. The premium before changing was around £342 with Comfort but the renewal quote was something like £380 last year and the C&MC came in at £351.The quote from Comfort for the coming year is £362 (with the usual UK/EU breakdown) which is some £300 less than my C&MC renewal quote - which only includes UK breakdown. So Comfort has my business once again - telephoned C&MC and they were unconcerned at my cancellation - not even remotely interested in trying to better the quote.I have recently passed 65 but have been retired (and always declared this) for a few years so can only assume it is the age that triggered the increase. Tried Safeguard and they were similar to C&MC which surprised me as they were always quite competitive when we insured with them a few years ago before going to Comfort. Perhaps the companies have differing age triggers such as 65, 70 etc.?Happy with the Comfort policy and price though.David

Different insurers will have different approaches, that's for sure.  Among the variables which the consumer needs to consider, retirement often leads to a lower premium for some vehicles (probably not MHs) because you are no longer commuting to work and above the age of 75 or 80, insurers start to think you are an increasing risk.  Insurers are also reluctant to take on new proposals for drivers over these ages, so you can become a captive customer.  They will hike the premium if you have a claim when you are old, often quite considerably, and this makes protection of NCB (which you have to pay extra for) pretty worthless. It's frustrating when an insurer offer a good initial rate but hikes the premium second year for no good reason and then shows disinterest when you say you are going elsewhere; I had that with the CAMC scheme too and have steered clear ever since.

I too am now past state pension age and I renewed my motorhome policy with Caravan Guard in February. Increase over last year was 4%. Both my car policy and that of my Wife are renewed tomorrow and, again, the increase over last year is 4% for both. My vintage car policy that covers three cars was renewed in November and the increase, 3%. Adding the increases together comes to a total of £61 extra for six vehicles. Given that a proportion of that relates to the 2% increase in IPT that came last June and can't be avoided, I've been happy to accept the renewal quotations from the existing insurers this time round. No doubt I might well have saved a few pounds if I'd have spent a day shopping around but I'm afraid life's too short given the potential savings it might have achieved.

Doesn't mean I won't be looking around next year though!

FD

david lloyd - 2018-04-03 6:25 PM

Well, phone calls made and the result is that I have returned to Comfort who I used to be with before changing last year to C&MC. The premium before changing was around £342 with Comfort but the renewal quote was something like £380 last year and the C&MC came in at £351.

The quote from Comfort for the coming year is £362 (with the usual UK/EU breakdown) which is some £300 less than my C&MC renewal quote - which only includes UK breakdown. So Comfort has my business once again - telephoned C&MC and they were unconcerned at my cancellation - not even remotely interested in trying to better the quote.

I have recently passed 65 but have been retired (and always declared this) for a few years so can only assume it is the age that triggered the increase. Tried Safeguard and they were similar to C&MC which surprised me as they were always quite competitive when we insured with them a few years ago before going to Comfort. Perhaps the companies have differing age triggers such as 65, 70 etc.?

Happy with the Comfort policy and price though.

David

the same thing happend to me last year i dont think its anything to do with your age the broker used by cmc have quite a bad attitude after the first year insurance i think martin p has worked this out

Hi, just insured my Stargazer, personal plated but 09 origin, this time via Adrian Flux, after quote from cmc and campin club (who I was with)both came in higher than last year.

surprised that new insurer offered an agreed valuation deal if I paid extra 15 pounds.i had to send photos, inside and out which I have done, and now waiting for them to confirm my valuation. I bet they wont, but wait and see..

Even adding the supplementary 15 pounds, the price was lower than both other quotes, so went with them..

it pays to make a few calls, but check the policy terms on offer.

I heard that cmc members were "guaranteed that the price would beat the rivals by 25 pounds", but dont beleive it.

Ps my age clocks 80 in a few days time.

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2018-04-04 4:13 PM

Hi, just insured my Stargazer, personal plated but 09 origin, this time via Adrian Flux, after quote from cmc and campin club (who I was with)both came in higher than last year.

surprised that new insurer offered an agreed valuation deal if I paid extra 15 pounds.i had to send photos, inside and out which I have done, and now waiting for them to confirm my valuation. I bet they wont, but wait and see..

Even adding the supplementary 15 pounds, the price was lower than both other quotes, so went with them..

it pays to make a few calls, but check the policy terms on offer.

I heard that cmc members were "guaranteed that the price would beat the rivals by 25 pounds", but dont beleive it.

Ps my age clocks 80 in a few days time.

tonyg3nwl

I didn't ask about them beating another quote by £25 but that would have meant taking about £325 off - just out if devil end perhaps I should have asked the question?

David

I am 74 this year and have just renewed the van Insurance with Comfort [AVIVA] including breakdown , tax and admin charge and it cost me £20 less than last year,at £400. protected no claims and £200 excess £75 glass excess.2.8 Fiat 3.5 tonnes.10,000 miles per annum.

MartinP - 2018-04-04 10:41 AM

I wonder if the phenomenon is more to do with the fact that its second year of cover?

Quite often find that insurers will lead "low" price for "new" business and then whack it up for automatic renewal!!

I’m with you and Pagey, you just need to price check every year, it’s a pain but has to be done unless you want to be “done up like a kipper”.

Have never found the Camc cheaper for anything, though I remain a member for the campsite network. Have been with Comfort for the past four years and have always found them cheaper than others. My premium this year was actually cheaper than last, despite having a fairly expensive accident claim in 2017. A great company, in my view (I have no connection other than being a customer)

Mike

Martin I suspect you are on the money. I am 71 and since I turned 65 retirement age I have not seen any evidence of age related increases in vehicle insurance. Every year I check the market to see if my current insurer is competitive. This year I was asked to pay an additional increase of 25% by an insurer that obviously was buying market share the previous year with low premiums. I believe they assume you will simply automatically renew. Our current car insurance provider offered a discount if I drove less than 10,000klms per annum. I drive my car less now than prior to retirement because we are using our MH more. In my experience retirement has offered cheaper car insurance. cheers,

Archived