Collapsible “water-hog” anyone.

snowie

Tracker - 2018-04-11 8:39 PM

Have you considered taking several long hose pipes - up to 50 metres each, although shorter hoes are much easier to handle - and join as many as you need with Hozelock fittings?

That should reach a tap on most sites?

Let me know how you get on Tracker. Sounds promising

Snowie

Mornin'...

Looking at this again, from another angle, as you are remodelling the van anyway(reducing the on-board tank), and it's possible that you may need the capacity ( for future showers?), how feasible would a second under-slung tank be?...filled via the same external filler point?..

Not sure what would be required, re: the pump(s)?..maybe they could be drawn from separately, so that the external one could be "decommissioned" during the winter?

It's just that the way this thread has progressed, although initially looking for something simpler, you're looking to be in danger of finding yourself needing an assortment of loose clobber to achieve it -

Extra water container/"bag"- trolley to carry it- possible pump arrangement to get water into the van's tank- extra hoses?.... :-S

Mornin’ Pepe:

My existing tank is onboard, under the bed, in what I call “the shed”, (it’s big enough to be called a garage.) An underslung tank would just be another chore to deal with I think.

Even with the proposed modifications, I think a caravan type system, going the whole hog, would be more straightforward

Regards, Snowie

Snowie,

If you've got a "shed" that big then would it be possibly to use a conventional 'Aqua-Roll' and simply roll it into the "shed" and drop in a submersible pump? You could do away with the existing built in tank in its entirety this way!

Just thinking outside the box :D

Keith.

Hi we carry a couple of the floppy plastic buckets. Use them for getting water if I have forgotten to fill up when arriving on site lifting the cushion off the seat and using the large access hole in the tank to fill, the bucket folds natural to make a good pouring spout. Also handy for taking crockery etc to do washing up and washing feet if we have been on the beach.

Regards David

snowie - 2018-04-12 9:15 AM

Mornin’ Pepe:

My existing tank is onboard, under the bed, in what I call “the shed”, (it’s big enough to be called a garage.) An underslung tank would just be another chore to deal with I think.

Even with the proposed modifications, I think a caravan type system, going the whole hog, would be more straightforward

Regards, Snowie

Hi again..

Yes, I can see how installing an additional under slung tank could be a bit OTT...

RE: The "collapsible" water container.

So did you intend to draw directly from it?..or just use it to "fetch" the water in, and then decant or pump into the on-board tank?

I am not sure why reducing a water tank size is deemed to be a good idea but if it relates to water taste then mabe adding a water filter either in line or additional tap might help?

Never saw the need myself so I am unable to suggest which one but others have said that it helps?

One inexpensive way to reduce a tank capacity is to add an overflow at a lower point on the tank to stop you filling to a greater tank capacity?

Tracker - 2018-04-12 12:39 PM

If you alter the van or take the tank out make sure you keep the bits so you can return it to original when you sell it as there is the risk of non standard specifications devaluing it or making it harder to sell.

It’s a bespoke pvc Tracker, so value is or will be in the eye of the beholder ;-)

Snowie

snowie - 2018-04-12 1:55 PM

It’s a bespoke pvc Tracker, so value is or will be in the eye of the beholder ;-)

Snowie

Fair enough, but one of the questions asked by a lot of buyers is how much water can it carry and there might, or might not, be more peole who would not want a van with low onboard water capacity that there are would want one with a low tank capacity and a water container?

The beauty of a forum is that everyone can express a view and the original poster can pick and mix the bits they like!

I try to make suggestions without questioning your choice because at the end of the day it is just that - your choice !

There are various sources of external shower bags online with 11litre capacity that may suit. Not too big or heavy & some appear to have straps to use as a backpack for carrying.

CAK or boat chandlers have a selection of onboard tanks which maybe suitable for smaller capacity.

Tracker - 2018-04-12 2:04 PM

snowie - 2018-04-12 1:55 PM

Snowie

Fair enough, but one of the questions asked by a lot of buyers is how much water can it carry and there might, or might not, be more peole who would not want a van with low onboard water capacity that there are would want one with a low tank capacity and a water container?

The beauty of a forum is that everyone can express a view and the original poster can pick and mix the bits they like!

I try to make suggestions without questioning your choice because at the end of the day it is just that - your choice !

No problem Tracker, I was actually trying to make the point that as many people consider a bespoke van to have dubious resale value, when one comes to sell. if I do ultimately come to sell it it will have to be to someone who “gets it”.

And as there is no recognisable layout it’s value will very much be in the eye of the beholder! ( or not)

I do feel that I have rather more scope to muck about with it a bit.

Regards, Snowie

Keithl - 2018-04-12 12:15 PM

Snowie,

If you've got a "shed" that big then would it be possibly to use a conventional 'Aqua-Roll' and simply roll it into the "shed" and drop in a submersible pump? You could do away with the existing built in tank in its entirety this way!

Just thinking outside the box :D

Keith.

Sorry Keith; it’s NOT, big enough to be called a garage!. A bit of finger trouble, and a spec’s moment.

Archived