Hymer Van 522 step size?

curdle

Hi, I have a 2007 Hymer van 522 that I will be selling to swap for an MLT 570. I need, however to order a new electric sliding step, since the old one bunged up with grit. I am out of the country so I cannot simply measure it, but would like to order it as soon as possible. Are there any 522 owners out there that could oblige with a width of the step (habitation door)? Thanks in anticipation.

Hi James and welcome to the forum,

Unfortunately it doesn't look like anyone has a Hymer Van 522 to be able to help you out :-(

I tried a search of the forums to see if I could find anyone who has posted about one but nothing turns up, sorry.

Is there a friend or neighbour who you can call to go your Hymer and measure the step for you? That's about all I can think of.

Keith.

Contact Hymer direct at Bad Waldsee

Address: Biberacher Str. 92, 88339 Bad Waldsee, Germany

Phone: +49 7524 999106

Having experienced their service in Germany I will be surprised if you don't get immediate and efficient assistance.

Don't know what step that your van is fitted with....but have you 'Googled' Omnistep- that may throw up options that you may recognise.

There have been reports on this forum in the past about stuck steps being freed by copious amounts of water being sprayed in with a hose to flush out the road grit/ debris.

It certainly has been a problem for us Original Hymer Exsis SK/ SG owners and the flushing out has worked on our Omnisteps - I have had mine apart because it was sluggish and there was no other reason.

We Recommended to our fellow owners to use a 'dry lubricant' not something like WD 40 that dust sticks to

Thanks for all the supportive replies. Unfortunately I cannot get the measurement because it is covered and kept in industrial premises. Hymer themselves seem the best lead, which i will follow up with thanks- I have not found the UK agents a great bunch to work with, having ordered an MLT 570 which will probably only be delivered in around September this year. Unfortunately I removed the step after getting fed up with constant blockage from winter road grit and left it behind at a home in France after I bought a Fiamma plastic step as a more reliable product. I have found out that although the step is badged Hymer, it is actually a Thule product.

Thanks Ruby. I have realised following your reply that Omnistor and Thule are one and the same. Unfortunately it is difficult to mentally visualise the step width as there are several options. Actually your Omnistor suggestion helped me track down another spare part. My end cap on an Omnistor 5000 awning got tree damaged and they are nowhere to be found...except Australia. I think I just ordered the last one in the world.

Curdle

Forum member “hallii” owns a 2007 Hymer Van 522.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/view-profile.asp?uid=3905

However, I’m near certain that the Thule/Omnistor electric step Hymer would have fitted as original equipment to a 2007 Van 522 would be the “400” version (Example advert here)

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/steps/thule-omnistep-slide-out-12v-electric-step-400.html

As you’ve realised, step-widths of 550mm and 700mm are also marketed, but for the habitation entrance of coachbuilt motorhomes, the (nominal) 400mm-width step was/is the norm.

It’s stating the obvious perhaps, but the step is sold with no mounting-frame and the motorhome manufacturer will often fabricate a specific frame according to the make of base vehicle and the position of the habitation door. Hopefully, when you removed the original step, you left the mounting-frame in situ on the motorhome.

I replaced my 2005 Hobby motorhome’s original manual slide-out Omni-Step with an electric version.

I’m pretty sure that it won’t have been practicable for you to have removed your step without removing the frame, so it’s more likely than not that the frame is still bolted to your step.

I’m also a mite wary about a current Thule 400 step operating from the electrical equipment used with earlier Omni-Step 400s - it may be that sticking a Thule 400 step on your Van 522 may require supplementary electrical work.

Archived