Fiamma drip stop

chas

Has anyone tried to remove this stick on product off the side of their van.

Mine as gone all discoloured and looks a mess, I have tried to carefully scrub it clean with no success.

I am worried if I try to remove it with the help of a hairdryer it may damage the paintwork on the bodywork.

I have thought of carefully painting it with an out door paint after gently sanding its surface with emery cloth,

Any thoughts anyone, ideally anyone who has had this problem. Many thanks.

Guest pelmetman
chas - 2018-04-14 11:19 AM

Mine as gone all discoloured and looks a mess, I have tried to carefully scrub it clean with no success.

I am worried if I try to remove it with the help of a hairdryer it may damage the paintwork on the bodywork.

I have thought of carefully painting it with an out door paint after gently sanding its surface with emery cloth,

If your worried about a hairdryer damaging your paintwork ;-) .........

You'd best not go to the South of France or Spain :D ........

Guest pelmetman
chas - 2018-04-14 4:41 PM

Thanks for your informative help, but it would appear you don't have a clue *-)

What about? ......Hairdryers or Spain? :D .......

...I have thought of carefully painting it with an out door paint after gently sanding its surface with emery cloth,..

As the drip strip has discolored, cleaning it won’t return it to pristine condition.

Your idea to paint it sounds good to me, but I would just give it a good clean beforehand with a plastic pan scourer rather than use emery cloth. Also mask round the strip before cleaning to avoid any possibility of damaging the surrounding bodywork.

Have you tried using Cif cream (the household cleaner)? It is slightly abrasive, so Derek's advice to protect the surrounding paintwork will apply, and it will need careful rinsing to flush away any abrasive revenue, but I have used it in similar circumstances with reasonable success. Alternatively, have you tried Autoglym Super Resin Polish, which has quite good cleaning properties while not presenting the same abrasive risk to the adjacent paintwork? I have found this works well on discoloured polyurethane based sealant seam seals, so it may work on the Fiamma product.

Using Cif should be fine if it’s possible that the drip strip will still need to be painted, but using any sort of polish would be asking for trouble if that treatment fails to address the ‘discoloration’ problem adequately and painting will be the follow-up step.

Autoglym polish is effective for cleaning polyurethane-based sealant seam seals, but it will only remove grime from the sealant’s upper surface. If the sealant itself has discolored (ie. the discoloration is actually within the sealant material itself beneath its upper surface) no cleaning product will cure this.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I think I will go for the painting idea, when the weather improves a little.

I would be happy to just remove it but its known how thin the coloured layer is on top of the alloy bodywork is,I would hate for that to be spoilt.

Perhaps this problem with Fiamma drip stops discolouring should be bourn in mind for anyone who might be thinking of using this product. :'(

Guest pelmetman
chas - 2018-04-15 9:27 AM

I would be happy to just remove it but its known how thin the coloured layer is on top of the alloy bodywork is,I would hate for that to be spoilt.

Is modern motorhomes paintwork so superficial that it wont be able to survive a few minutes of hairdryer application? 8-) .........

Just askin? :D .........

I would warm it up to soften the 3M adhesive tape and then cheese wire it off - well actually I'd probably use a bit of nylon packing banding, the sort of thing you get around a big box.

Even using a decent pvc paint the finish won't last long on a substrate that is prone to temperature change.

You can then carefully remove the remaining adhesive, if it's painted aluminium use something like WD 40 and a plastic spreader - if it's GRP you can use a more aggressive solvent like Isopropanol.

Archived