Indicator led strip faulty Bailey Autograph.

Madlen

I have an Autograph 75-4, 7 months old which has developed a fault on the rear nearside led indicator strip. It may decide to work at 50% some of the time, tapping, tweaking etc all fails. Apparently, the unit is bonded on. Are they easy to replace, I know it will be covered under warranty but I want a quicker solution than my supplier is offering. Any help much appreciated. Any other autograph owners had similar issues?

Thanks.

This advert is for a Bailey Autograph II Indicator Light LED Bar

https://www.primaleisure.com/product/1011032

There’s no indication that this has mechanical fixings, so an adhesive backing on the light’s rear may well be used to secure it in place. If that’s so, then removal of a failed light could easily damage that light, though replacement should be straightforward once the old light had been detached.

If your indicator light has actually become faulty (ie. the present problem is not due to, say, a wiring fault) then replacement will be required and, as the problem has real safety implications, the fault needs addressing without delay.

The Primaleisure website seems to be suggesting that, of the four similar LED ‘bars’ used on Bailey Autograph II motorhomes, only the fog-light version is immediately available.

I can’t find any on-line information identifying these lights’ manufacturer (Hella and Jokon are makes often fitted) and I can’t see a maker’s name on the photos. If you can identify the maker you might be able to rapidly source a replacement light, though you’d need to confirm with your motorhome’s supplier what the warranty position would be if you chose to DIY a replacement.

If Bailey has used an adhesive like Sikaflex to bond the light to the rear panel, getting the faulty light off without smashing it apart could be a real challenge.

There doesn’t seem to be anything on-line to indicate your type of fault is commonplace with this light unit, and, if the other seven similar light-bars are working OK, you’ve probably just got a duffer.

A search of the Bailey Owners group on Facebook only finds one indicator fault on an Autograph II model.

That fault required replacement of the pictured unit (described, rightly or wrongly, as a LED resistor unit) under the floor of the van at the rear. This and the problems associated with removing a bonded and possibly working indicator unit would tend to suggest that this really should be left to your warranty to sort out.

Capture.JPG.73e3b62fa06f74343af0e13847c0f627.JPG

I have my supplier doing their best to source a replacement as stock is zero at present. I think you are right in that it appears a duffer as all the others are fine.

Bailey owners forum etc shows no trend of failure.

Thanks for the advice etc.

Madlen,

I would take carefull note of Steve's post above. It seems, as Steve implies that the fault may not be in the LED strip, but in the associated resistor module, which should be much easier to replace. It may help if you suggest this to your supplier.

LEDs require a resistor or a regulator in series to limit the current through the LED(s). Also in vehicle applications, where they are used as a replacement for a typical 21W indicator, or stop lamp, filament bulb they do not draw as much current. Consequently the CANBUS system would report a bulb failure. The cure for this is to connect another resistor in parallel with the LED/resistor unit. The two resistors could be built into one assembly. I think that this is what is shown in Steve's picture.

Alan

Alanb - 2018-04-25 5:39 PM

Madlen,

I would take carefull note of Steve's post above. It seems, as Steve implies that the fault may not be in the LED strip, but in the associated resistor module, which should be much easier to replace. It may help if you suggest this to your supplier.

I think that this is what is shown in Steve's picture.

Alan

Is it possible to swap the resistors between left and right indicators to identify where the fault lies?

Keith.

Keithl - 2018-04-25 6:36 PM

Is it possible to swap the resistors between left and right indicators to identify where the fault lies?

Keith.

Unless you have access to either a pit, or a vehicle lift, it would entail some crawling under the vehicle. However depending on how the leads from the resistors are connected to the LEDs, it may be easier to cross patch the suspect LED to the opposite side with a temporary length of flexible cable.

Alan

When Malcolm (Madlen) PMed me yesterday morning I replied shortly after as follows:

"As the rear light-bars Bailey has used are LED-type, there will almost certainly have been a need to match the lights to the Peugeot Boxer’s CANbus system that will have communicated with ordinary halogen-bulb lights as standard, otherwise bulb-failure alerts would appear on the vehicle’s dashboard display. Presumably that’s what the “LED resistor unit” Steve928 mentions does by making the CANbus system ‘believe’ that bulbs are fitted that would demand a higher wattage than the LEDs.

So (as Steve says) there is the possibility that the problem lies with the resistor-unit not the light-bar. Not sure how one could test this unless it’s practicable to re-jig the wiring to see if the problem with the nearside indicator bar can be moved to one of the other lights. As Steve suggests, it would be best if Lowdhams carried out the light-bar replacement under warranty as a) it may be hard to get the old bar off and b) replacing it just might not cure the fault.”

A Bailey Autograph 75-4 had 8 LED light-bars well inset into its rear panel - 2 as direction indicators, 2 as fog lights, 2 as reversing lights and and 2 as stop/tail lights. I’ve no idea how many of these are connected to the LED resistor unit, nor how the connection is done, nor how much the resistor-unit would cost to replace.

As 7 of the light-bars work OK and the problematical direction indicator light-bar works some of the time, it’s a reasonable guess that there’s a fault with the bar itself rather than with the resistor unit. Either way, as the motorhome is just 7 months old, addressing the fault would be best left to the vendor to deal with under warranty.

Thanks all you guys who responded to my help request.

It is in the hands of my dealer who is hopefully pulling out all the stops.

Having said that, I still have a few more "stops" I can give him to help him along if you see what I mean. Lol

• 3 weeks later...

Archived