Respray

Moppet

I have a 2012 Autocruise Rhythm panel van.

The paint is blistering off on the front.

Does anyone know where I might get it respraid in West Sussex.

I am particularly concerned about how they would deal with reconnecting the electrics for the solar panel, satellite disk and especially my special bike rack (bus biker) which has rear lights.

What make is the base vehicle? many of the base vehicle manufacturers offer long warranties on paint finishes, and your van is only six years old. Have you checked whether this might still be covered under warranty, especially if the blistering is widespread?

If the blistering is limited to, say, the bonnet panel, it would be quicker, simpler, and a lot cheaper, to get just that item sprayed. A near perfect colour match should be achieved by a good bodyshop, as the new paint will vary slightly from the original shade to account for colour change over time. In addition to your solar panel, sat dish and Busbiker, there is also the issue of converter's decals which would have to be removed during preparation and, after 6 years, may no longer be available in their original form or colour. As you will have gathered, my instinct would be to reduce the area to be re-sprayed to the minimum necessary, in the interests of economy, speed, and simplicity.

A 2012 Autocruise Rhythm panel-van conversion used a Peugeot Boxer or Fiat Ducato base - a buyer could choose either.

As will be apparent from this GOOGLE-search on “fiat ducato paint blistering”

https://tinyurl.com/ycyhc7a8

this type of problem has been reported before and (over the years) I’ve seen a couple of examples of reasonably young Ducato-based motorhomes with patches of ‘blistered’ paint on the bonnet.

The Fiat paintwork warranty has a duration of 36 months and I’m guessing the Peugeot paintwork warranty will be the same. There is an 8-years anti-perforation warranty, but that applies to the vehicle’s structure rather than to its paint finish.

I certainly agree with Brian that, if the blistering is limited to the Rhythm’s front, then just respraying the affected area would be the logical, simplest and least expensive approach.

There are quite a few car-body repair firms in West Sussex

https://tinyurl.com/y9y3so2x

so it would be worth asking two or three of them to inspect the damaged paint, advise on the best way forwards, and provide a quotation for the cost of repair.

There are also several motorhome dealerships in the area

https://tinyurl.com/yb38j3sr

that might be contacted for a recommendation regarding which repair firms have a good reputation.

If just the bonnet have you considered getting it Vinyl Wrapped. I did my own bonnet with a off cut purchased from ebay. There's now to utube video's that'll give you all the instruction you need it's done a lot now as an alternative to a respray

witzend - 2018-04-28 8:13 AM

If just the bonnet have you considered getting it Vinyl Wrapped. I did my own bonnet with a off cut purchased from ebay. There's now to utube video's that'll give you all the instruction you need it's done a lot now as an alternative to a respray

My Ducato deserves a bit of a facelift, and vinyl is the way I’m thinking, particularly as it is currently a “white van” with generally sound paintwork, except for the front overcab area.

I can imagine that an Autocruise Rhythm might have a pretty complicated paint job? Maybe a photo of problem area would help ?

Regards, Snowie

I’ve attached a photo of a 2012-registered Ducato-based Autocruise Rhythm.

How practicable ‘wrapping’ (instead or respraying) would be would depend on exactly where on the front of Moppet’s Rhythm the blistered paintwork is and how bad the damage.

The final appearance of a ‘wrap’ will depend on the state of the surface beneath the film, so some remedial work would almost certainly be needed to smooth out blistered paintwork before applying the film. Wrapping just the bonnet as witzend did should be a (relatively) straightforward DIY task, but wrapping the area above the windscreen would be much more challenging. It might also be worth considering what impact there might be on the resale value of a motorhome if it were partially wrapped to address paintwork faults.

Rhythm.jpg.359cccbc0eba088c493f122461dc2a47.jpg

Blistering of paint on x250's whilst maybe not common, is well known, from what i've seen it seems to be mainly dark vans, one dark blue van I saw was in process of losing all it's paint! So it would seem to be a manufacturing fault, I wouldn't hold out much hope, but even past 36 months it could be deemed the responsibility of the manufacturer.

snowie - 2018-04-28 8:39 AM My Ducato deserves a bit of a facelift, and vinyl is the way I’m thinking, particularly as it is currently a “white van” with generally sound paintwork, except for the front overcab area. Regards, Snowie

If considering DIY for the roof panel You'll need a firm platform to work off the vinyl takes a bit of stretching and there's 2 way curves in the roof panel.

witzend - 2018-04-28 1:08 PM

snowie - 2018-04-28 8:39 AM My Ducato deserves a bit of a facelift, and vinyl is the way I’m thinking.......

If considering DIY for the roof panel You'll need a firm platform to work off the vinyl takes a bit of stretching and there's 2 way curves in the roof panel.

Hi witzend, I think I’ll leave it to the professionals. Don’t think it would be a good DIY project, I’ll have to get started Looking for a local company,

Regards, Snowie

Guest pelmetman

Considering how much it cost to have my trailer wrapped ;-) .........

I doubt it would cost as much to have a bonnet resprayed :-S ..........

Although that said based on decades of experience......... finding a body shop which is guided by quality rather than quantity is likely to be your biggest issue :-| .............

A small area of paint flaked off the bonnet of my 2008 Fiat. It has not got any worse since then. As the metal is galvanised there is no sign of rust. I was waiting for more to flake off before repainting. The rest of the paint work is fine. I have seen quite a few Fiats with the "balding" bonnet.

For those who consider . the decal/wrapping approach, there is a small firm on the trading estate at crow end of Ringwood. I bought some material there to replace decals on my van.

Reasonable price, and good service.

Tonyg3nwl

Moppet - 2018-04-27 3:39 PM

I am particularly concerned about how they would deal with reconnecting the electrics for the solar panel, satellite disk and especially my special bike rack (bus biker) which has rear lights.

It isn't April fool's day is it?

Strange shaped van with solar panel, sat dish, and bike rack with rear lights all on the front?

Perhaps some clarification by the OP is called for?

colin - 2018-04-28 9:39 AM

Blistering of paint on x250's whilst maybe not common, is well known, from what i've seen it seems to be mainly dark vans, one dark blue van I saw was in process of losing all it's paint! So it would seem to be a manufacturing fault, I wouldn't hold out much hope, but even past 36 months it could be deemed the responsibility of the manufacturer.

There's a white X250 (minibus, not a motorhome) driven by my neighbour, that's lost its top coat from the entire front end - bonnet roof and windscreen pillars. I've heard that the problem is related to the introduction of water base paint and the type of basecoat used on the galvanised panels, although I don't know if that's true.

My van was originally due for delivery in Feb 2016, but not actually built until May 2016, due to a factory shutdown. Again, rumours at the time suggested that the paint plant was being demolished and rebuilt in the interim. Time will tell whether that resulted in any improvement in paint durability.

My X2/50 white van was built 10 years ago. Paintwork is alright, apart from some localised flaking and peeling around the grille cut into the bonnet. Fortunately the bonnet (and other front panels) are easily removed for spraying. So if the panel is resprayed and not a perfect match you don't notice - because its separated from the rest by the gap around it.

When I sprayed the second coat the paint started blistering - something I have not experienced before.

But one of the great things about the internet is you can type it into google and get an answer in seconds :-D

Seems the blistering was caused by my not letting the previous coat fully dry before spraying the next. Something I had not experienced with other paints. Its more difficult working with DIY tools like spray cans (and DIY welders) than professional kit. So I had to sand it and do it again, but its OK now.

Tracker - 2018-05-01 7:01 PM

Strange shaped van with solar panel, sat dish, and bike rack with rear lights all on the front?

I would have thought that the implication was obvious - that Moppet was contemplating having the whole vehicle resprayed. Other posters have plainly understood that this was Moppet’s intention, as they’ve advised respraying just the areas where the paintwork had blistered.

We had the paint peeling on the bonnet both sides and along the front edge - see photo. 

Sub standard paint job at source. 

Had the bonnet resprayed in March 2014 for about £250 in my local garage in Oxfordshire. 

They did a wonderful job and have had no further problems.

288538107_mabelbonnet.jpg.ea351ed070b1e466cbd5886acc748d6d.jpg

Hi Jeremy; I think £250 was quoted for my X250 bonnet a couple of years ago, not because it was flaking, just to add a little colour to a white van. Sounded a lot to me, so didn’t go ahead.

I’m now in process of having some large areas of vinyl instead, if I can afford/ justify it!

Regards, Snowie

Derek Uzzell - 2018-05-02 9:22 AM

Tracker - 2018-05-01 7:01 PM

I would have thought that the implication was obvious - that Moppet was contemplating having the whole vehicle resprayed. Other posters have plainly understood that this was Moppet’s intention, as they’ve advised respraying just the areas where the paintwork had blistered.

Yours and others interpretation of what was unclear may or may not be correct but the fact remains that the original message of 4 days ago was ambiguous and whilst having a go at me might make you feel better it adds nothing to the discussion.

Maybe if we are very lucky Moppet will return to tell us all what he/she really meant and clarify one of the great mysteries of our time !!

Archived