What spares do you carry?

StuartO

I suppose I carry a mixture of things which I would want to be able to replace immediately (such as a water pump) and things which are really leftovers from previous repairs, like a few black plastic screw caps and a few crimp joints for cabling.  What do you carry?

I carry

Under the driver’s sest

- a variety of screwdrivers and small tools

In an otherwise useless underseat small storage compartment

- a 200Nm torque-wrench

- a CTEK battery charger

- a multimeter

- spare bulbs and fuses

Elsewhere

- a T-Max tyre pump

- a spare set of wiper blades

- a bag of assorted ‘stuff’ (duct tape, cable ties, super-glue, etc.)

Concealed near the bed-head

- a Glock G42

I don't carry any spare parts apart from a set of bulbs and fuses plus some duct tape, insulation tape, cable ties, superglue and string. I also carry a small selection of tools, a set of jump leads, a heavy duty towrope, a wheel nut spider and a couple of torches. Finally, and more importantly, I carry a good selection of cleaning products to keep the van looking good when out on the road.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-05-13 2:20 PM

P Jay

I’d like to see you ‘tether’ a loose plastic wheel-trim using duct tape rather than a cable-tie.

What does a packet of 100 12-inch cable-ties weigh? Can’t be much more than an ounce...

You are right Derek. We have our wheel trims tied on with cable ties.

It was meant to be a Joke. We had so many "might need " bits in our van, that I made OH cut back on what we carry, in the way of tools. Though have to admit , that the supply of screws, in a plastic box, has been helpful, to other campers in the past. I did my bit as well, cut back on the plates etc, used to have set of 6, now only 4 of every thing, even though only usually 2 of us.

PJay

Guest pelmetman

I'm known as Mr B&Q in Spain :$ ........It's not often they turn up and I haven't got it :D .......

Guest pelmetman
Derek Uzzell - 2018-05-13 8:26 AM

Concealed near the bed-head

- a Glock G42

That's nothing *-) .........

I have a unstable nuclear device 8-) ........

Which for customs declaration I call the wife :D ..........

Small socket and screwdriver set, cable ties, fuses, bulbs, duct tape, jump leads, heavy duty tow rope (used for the first time last year!) plus one thing i now always pack is a new catch lock since one packed up working (the spring gives up) and i was miles from any accessory shop, i had to remove a working one for a drawer that didn't matter and swap them over.

One of these; https://www.catchesandlatches.co.uk/push-button-caravan-motorhome-catch-door-lock-set-for-16mm-thickness-187215052883

pelmetman - 2018-05-13 7:45 PM

I'm known as Mr B&Q in Spain :$ ........It's not often they turn up and I haven't got it :D .......

They usually turn up looking for a nut ;-)

I have soccket and spanner set, usual hand tools,clips and ties, bits of metal, wire, fuses, bulbs, fire extinguisher, warning triangle, tyre levers, jack & spare wheel, ,12v drill & bits,,

I'd rather carry it and not need it, than not carry it and need it.

Suppose I am a bit of a pessimist because that way surprises tend to be nice ones :-D

Like many people, I carry a tool case containing a mix of tools - mole wrench, screwdrivers, pliers, craft knives etc. Other tools include a substantial tow rope, tyre inflator, multimeter and a battery charger. The handbooks for the ‘van appliances are also carried.

I also carry a gas regulator, fuses, ‘van bulbs, spectacles, gaffer tape, super glue, plastic ties, jubilee clips, string, rope and a few screws, bolts and nuts that have found their way into the tool case.

Cattwg :-D

Wire coat hangers, (good for exhausts as we found last year!), gaffer tape, blue tac, ball of string, small soldering iron, old towels to dry things, bungy cord, jubilee clips, a range of self tappers, a few nuts & bolts,  spare led light strips, a wired & crocodile clipped test bulb, rubber bands, foam pipe insulation bits, Silicone spray, graphite grease, super glue & 5 minute epoxy, as well as many of the things/tools already mentioned. Most of this lot fits into 2 Laphroaig & Glenfiddich tins which live under the passenger seat.

Jeremy my Glenfiddich tin is usually carrying liquid. As a back up I do carry an assortment of white wine, a beach umbrella, two beach chairs and a can of WD40. Oh yes and a phone to call the roadside assist if needed. Sorry Derek grey nomads are banned from carrying Glocks in this country. We use bull bars on the front of our MH's to obtain our "road kill" cheers,

AT_bullbar.jpg.0e91c5ef5c4357982ee387f00d53e0f5.jpg

Geeco - 2018-05-15 5:21 AMJeremy my Glenfiddich tin is usually carrying liquid. As a back up I do carry an assortment of white wine, a beach umbrella, two beach chairs and a can of WD40. Oh yes and a phone to call the roadside assist if needed. Sorry Derek grey nomads are banned from carrying Glocks in this country. We use bull bars on the front of our MH's to obtain our "road kill" cheers,
Gary hi - ah yes but it is a fresh couple of tins per trip! 

Geeco - 2018-05-15 5:21 AM

...Sorry Derek grey nomads are banned from carrying Glocks in this country...

I read a tweet from The Donald saying that he had signed a worldwide agreement that any motorhome owner could carry a pistol in their vehicle in any country. The attached photo relates.

pistol.jpg.0bd58908d92d05ec891d7a32a41e8279.jpg

Archived