NEW GOV.UK Info on A-frames

Keithl

Seems just another fudge.

At least it sorts out the bull of some A frame manufacturers who claim their product is type approved when it quite obviously isn't in any meaningful way.

Still doesn't address the issue of a trailer requiring type approval or inspection to be legal, or at least doesn't put in words that needs to be done, in fact it seems to gloss over this point IMO, as I've always thought to myself that if one was inspected and approved it would be legal worldwide.

Any potential Type Approval issue seems to be adequately covered in the latest guidance:

"Type approval of an A-frame

Type approval of most new trailers became compulsory on 29 October 2012. However, the A-frame itself is neither a vehicle nor a trailer, and is therefore outside the scope of type approval.”

Plainly an A-frame is not a ‘trailer', and neither is a car. And, when an A-frame is attached to a car, the result is still not a ‘trailer’. It’s only when the car + A-frame combination is towed that the ’trailer’ descriptor becomes significant. This is made clear in the guidance document’s “Legal issues” section and - as with earlier guidance - it’s highlighted that the idea that a car being towed via an A-frame may be treated as a ’trailer’ within UK legislation is just the DofT’s opinion. (OK, it’s an expert opinion, but that doesn’t give it proven legal weight.)

I don’t see this guidance being “another fudge”. It updates technical aspects mentioned in the earlier guidance document and it would be unrealistic to expect the DofT to provide a black-or-white statement on the legality of A-framing in the UK as the legality of the practice in this country has never been tested in a UK court of law. The caveats in the “Use of A-frame outside UK” section are more emphatic than before, but that does not prevent UK motorcaravanners from ignoring that advice.

Archived