Waste tank drain tap replacement problem

Gazza444

I have a 1999 T4 Autosleeper Trooper. The lever on the waste tap broke and I need to fit a replacement. The tap is threaded, and when I got it out, I discovered that it was screwed into a plastic back nut that is now loose in the tank leaving me no easy means of fitting the replacement tap. (genius design!). My thoughts are

1) Is there an inspection hatch or similar in the top of the tank so that if I drop the tank out I can access the inside of the tank to hold the nut while I screw the tap in? I'm reluctant to start trying to get the tank off without knowing that I can access the inside of the tank.

2) Would it be possible to fit another type of tap into the existing hole that does not require access to the inside of the tank and just leave the back nut in there. When I was looking for the replacement tap I could see that there are some that are not threaded and so presumably are some sort of push fit, but I have no experience of how they work.

Any thoughts on either of these or any better ideas. Am I missing something obvious?

The freshwater tank has the same problem, but so far the back nut is just turning with the tap so I can't get it out!

Thanks

Hi Gazza and welcome to the forum,

I don't know about Autosleepers personally but all i can say is that soemone must have fitted the tap in the first place so I would guess there must be an inspection hatch. Can you see on top of the tank with a mirror or endoscope possibly?

Keith.

Thanks for the mirror idea, I'll give it a whirl. On a quick look there is some visibility to part of the back of the tank, but I'm going to have to get it up on ramps to see properly so it will have to wait for the weekend.

I'll keep the forum posted on how it goes.

Just to update you, the tap is now replaced.

I dropped the tank (easy enough apart from seized bolts). There is an inspection cover in the top, but unless you have very thin arms (preferably double jointed) you will not be able to reach the tap by hand. I guess they must have had a special tool when fitting it in the first place.

I got it in by gripping the plastic lock nut in a mole wrench with which I could then offer it up against the hole and screw the tap in. As its only possible to grip the nut loosely to avoid distorting the nut, the wrench soon came off and it was not possible to get it back on by feel. I ended it sticking the handle of a 3 iron through the inspection cover to jam against the side of the lock nut to stop it turning, and tightened it by turning the tap.

All in all a lot of hassle for what could have been a 5 minute job if someone had put 30 seconds thought into the design in the first place.

Archived